Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Drakefire Chasm: The Dragon Goes "Omnomnom"  (Read 8369 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drakefire Chasm: The Dragon Goes "Omnomnom"
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:15 am »

Hurrah, figured it out - and yah, the orbs were very useful, particularly the green orbs. I'm glad I hoarded all of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some thoughts: Devour is a sheer necessity in the later levels. The heal is far greater then eating a corpse, and takes an enemy out of circulation. Contrary to my prior thoughts, survival options were a must - I would have died twice over if I wasn't reducing damage taken and their ability to inflict damage at all.

I agree on line damage, though in a large space, throwing out balls or cones would have probably been more helpful on the final level. Prior to that, it was an instant one shot for just about anything I breathed on.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 02:21:36 am »

Quick note to the people who don't already know - there are a bunch of named adventurers. They are all(usually misspelt)characters from Warcraft, e.g Jayna, a Mage(Jaina Proudmoore)
or Sylvanas, a hunter(Sylvanas Windrunner).
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:09 am »

I agree on line damage, though in a large space, throwing out balls or cones would have probably been more helpful on the final level. Prior to that, it was an instant one shot for just about anything I breathed on.
Not sure what the other colors get, but red dragons' (which I'd currently call the easiest color, without hesitation) top tier stamina talent is Inferno, which does line-breath level damage to everything in line of sight. Absolutely tremendous for the last level, you can probably clean out several of the adventurers on the first turn. After that, it's all about positioning and leveraging whatever AoE talents you have. Trample into wing buffet is a good way to kill a particularly dangerous batch of critters and moving the line breath around to hit the most number of critters is, of course, beneficial.

Not really sure if other colors have an equivalent. Red's the only thing I've managed to get full ability access with, so far.

Definitely echoing that line is likely the best breath, though. The rest just don't do enough damage. It's usually better to completely kill one critter in one turn than half kill two, since there's no combat degradation due to damage. Full health or half they're still doing the same amount of damage, but if half of them is dead you just halved incoming fire~

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 08:18:22 am »

I got a green dragon to the final level by basically playing it as a spellcaster (no str skills). Unfortunately, I had little in the way of aoe having taken line breath. The last room just put a hurting on me, my breath unable to 1-shot anything and the gas cloud (my only aoe) being piss weak.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 01:35:32 am »

From my experience, you need bite, and probably devour to make it more likely to one-shot enemies. I'm impressed you got to the final level without them - just about every time I came across a named adventurer, it was the only way I survived.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 03:42:53 am »

Hmm, on my 1st try i took a black dragon, with a line acid breath.

Thanks to it i killed several cave bear, a few earth gnomes and some rats, then as the area was completely cleared, i proceeded to the only corridor available, at some point there was lava , no way around it.
As the dragon despite always being weak was at full health, i thought maybe it would resist at the thinner lava crossing.

Well, not at all, just insta killed.

Was there something i didn't know at that point to get over that lava without dying (there was no other way around it to continue to next part of the level), or is the game just able to create, if unlucky, an impossible to survive level like this ?
I found this extremely annoying and not fun if indeed the game is able to generate a level without any ways to complete it to move on.

edit : more games and it looks like the game can indeed generate such levels and sometime not, as i didn't encountered such configuration again and was able to play for a while then.
It's a good coffee break game indeed in non-doomed level generation conditions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:03:54 am by Robsoie »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »

This looks good, but I haven't won yet.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 06:57:52 pm »

Nearly won with a red dragon, made a mistake on the last level that costed me 1 turn instead of eat/regen and that one turn was fatal after a while of being constantly hammered.

But after playing so many black dragons, hoping to get some nicer acid powers, that near-victory was on my 1st attempt with red dragon, they're that much more powerfull in every ways than black dragon, they can one shot anything when they're babies while a black dragon can't (bear resist the most powerfull attack, and need 1 more hit to kill).

And the problem of the 'baby cave" level generation i mentionned (that can put, if you're not lucky, a lava tile that can't be walked around between your only path(s) and the stairs), that happened so far more than 6 times during my black dragons games is not a problem for a red dragon baby that is immune to it, while it insta kill a black dragon baby.

The most far i got with a black dragon was the 1st "Warrior" level , that was piece of cake to kill with uber-red dragon but was not really possible in the setup i had with the black one due to how lower the damage output is at that point.

Looks like the black dragon is the choice for those that completed the game with the other kinds and need a stronger challenge.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:59:52 pm by Robsoie »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »

I've died 56 times now. Intense, no? Now for dragon #57...
Sig! Onol

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 11:57:19 am »

Finally got around to trying this last night. Tried two black dragons, one got swarmed quickly. The other did pretty well killing off cave bears and rats, but I got full from eating. Which meant that I couldn't heal anymore and got killed off by a few gnomes. :/

Does resting increase your hunger eventually?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 11:59:31 am »

No, when you are full you can go to the next level, which you should generally do as soon as possible since you don't get anything by killing more enemies (a slight chance at a dragon orb in higher levels I suppose, but probably not worth it).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »

I generally go for the bloody-minded murder of everything for coins and dragon orbs. One thing to keep in mind is that corpses don't rot, so if you win a fight with a good amount of health, leave the body for later.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »

I generally go for the bloody-minded murder of everything for coins and dragon orbs. One thing to keep in mind is that corpses don't rot, so if you win a fight with a good amount of health, leave the body for later.
This, mostly. Early on you'll be living from corpse to corpse, but after you get a few levels in you (and probably pick up devour) you can usually go through a few critters before needing to eat something to heal. This dovetails nicely with starting to be more picky about what you eat to get the desired stat boost.

Incidentally, I like the narrative the mechanic makes... early on, you're flimsy and hungry, barely surviving from kill to kill. As you grow older and stronger, you become increasingly particular about what you eat and when, no longer quite so reliant on your stomach's whims. It's neat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:07 pm »

It's actually pretty accurate for dragons as I view them. Oh, and I've died 65 times now.
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 05:45:12 pm »

Ok is this REALLY a dragon simulator? >_<
Pages: 1 [2] 3