Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Crawl 0.11 Tournament! Let's make Bay12 proud!  (Read 10563 times)

KJC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.11 Tournament! Let's make Bay12 proud!
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2012, 12:13:29 am »

Man, I really must keep my playing sessions down to smaller periods of time.  I always get a little loopy after playing a while.  I was in the process of clearing D:27, when I happened upon a draconian caller on an island (that's a dirty trick if you ask me).  I had to tele away, and I wound up in the open between a stone giant and a squad of yaktaurs that must've all spawned into the area after I cleared it.  I was out of blink scrolls and tried vainly to fight my way out.

I remembered after I died that I only had one rune, and I had no reason to be going after the draconian in the first place.  I could've cleared out the shoals quite easily, and come out stronger afterwards.  Oh well.  I guess I just don't have the mental endurance to streak wins together.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2012, 12:22:46 am »

That's some bad luck... Yeah I try to limit myself to one hour sessions. If I play too long I stop thinking about what I'm doing and tend to rush. It seems like enemies in crawl are binary... ridiculously easy or totally lethal.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2012, 01:57:11 am »

F draconians, I'm not sure when it's ever correct to try fighting them, but I know everytime I've fought them it's probably been a mistake :)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2012, 06:39:49 am »

I must play healers completely wrong because I never have any piety even though I never heal myself and never use any of the other piety draining abilities but I still sacrifice a ton of weapons. I don't pacify everything I come across (usually just try at nastier enemies) because I find I die with them for not having good enough skills to defend myself (so I need that other half of the XP)

do you have to hurt something before healing it has a reasonable chance to pacify it?

In anycase. I feel like I'm dragging down my team. I couldn't really play on the weekend, then had food poisoning, yesterday I stayed really late at school to work on a project and I had to pick up an extra shift at work. I don't think I should have been in with the axelords for this one ^.^;

I'm going to try and get on tonight.

I find it a lot harder to play this game in the web-tile's version. not so much the keyboard commands, I expected that, but the lack of quickly seeing my inventory and abilities all at once and having a better representation of hp and sp. guess I'm spoiled, or going through a rough patch of luck.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »

You gain piety from pacifying stuff so use it as much as possible. You can play the console version online if that's easier. There are instructions for setting it up here:

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »

So, got my first win of the tournament (only my 5th attempt, actually, but I don't have a lot of time to play), 15-runes DDEE. Nothing much to say actually it's really a scarily strong combo and I've never been in any real danger almost all game. I was forced to go into extended lategame without Controlled Blink and Necromutation which I really don't like but it went okay, actually. I finally found Necromutation near the end of my pan run (getting tormented as a Deep Dwarf is really annoying) but no Controlled blink all game, even with 15 levels in a ziggurat.

Other than that the RNG has been pretty nice to me this time, pretty good equipment, most of the spells I needed and no real nasty surprises except the good old Hellion Island. The new regenerating Royal Jelly is incredibly annoying, though, I had to retreat and come back a long time later.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »

don't you just love it when your promising ranged character falls through a shaft on lair 3 and lands next to rupert on lair 6? isn't it great when the game only gives you 3 scrolls of teleport and 2 scrolls of blink before lair 3?

fully buffed (heroism and finesse, only found potions of brilliance up till then) and nearly one on one and I didn't even stand a chance and I could not run.

Character was going really well, found a decent sling early on. I guess though that other than the sling I really was getting very little from the dungeon.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2012, 11:12:10 pm »

Woo congrats Alg. What strategy do you use for tomb 3, just go in and start shattering?

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2012, 02:48:00 am »

Woo congrats Alg. What strategy do you use for tomb 3, just go in and start shattering?

Pretty much, yeah, in lichform of course (which is part of why I wanted necromutation so desperately). Actually it was even easier back when Makhleb gave mp back too, you could just walk and shatter your way through Tomb without ever stopping being at full hp/mp. Now you actually have to rest from time to time to regenerate mana (and quaff a restore abilities potion once in a while) but other than that it's basically a walk in the park, especially since you don't have to deal with the incredibly convoluted normal path because you break walls. It's a refreshing change from the horrible nightmare that is usually Tomb.

The dump, by the way.

KJC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2012, 03:49:37 pm »

Man, I swear about 75% of my lvl 13+ deaths come at the hands, or rocks, of stone giants.  I really hate those things.  They should be renamed dream crushers, since they kill you right around the time you start to feel like you've got a real good game going.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2012, 04:55:21 pm »

MiBe got pretty deep.  Ran through the Lair and the Orc Mines, was getting through the Spider Nest going for my first rune, when suddenly Rupert appears with a Mace of Draining while I'm in berzerk exhaustion.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:55 pm »

MiBe got pretty deep.  Ran through the Lair and the Orc Mines, was getting through the Spider Nest going for my first rune, when suddenly Rupert appears with a Mace of Draining while I'm in berzerk exhaustion.

Wow you're progressing quite quick. Generally after doing Orc people return to the main dungeon until about Vaults entrance or D:20 or so.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2012, 05:29:57 pm »

I'd found two rings of Resist Poison, so I figured the game was leading me to the Spider's Nest.  I just got sloppy and continued exploring while exhausted and slow.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:40 pm »

Alright, I'm finally getting back into this. Stupid orc priests. Stupid brother in arms running the wrong way.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »

well i managed to play a good bit today after school. I have a very strong ghoul monk of cheibriados going and considering it was a draconian monk of chei I last won with.... this might just happen.

I wouldent hold my breath yet though, I beat orc mines and I'm just about to finish lair.

you know whats good fun? having an enemy spellcaster slow you and alert a whole mob to your pressence then invoking slouch on them in return.

you know what's fun when there is no spellcaster casting slow on you? a wand of slowing

it's my new best nuke in a can friend
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11