Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Crawl 0.11 Tournament! Let's make Bay12 proud!  (Read 10572 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.11 Tournament! Let's make Bay12 proud!
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »

I've never played Crawl before at all.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 10:27:29 pm »

So, you have to play online for the tournament. You can either use the version with tiles, or if you prefer ASCII you can use an ssh client to connect to the server and play in a terminal window, more detailed instructions can be found on this page.

As for actually playing Crawl, there's a tutorial available on the downloadable version of Crawl (and maybe you can access it in webtiles too), that'll cover the basics. Don't expect to get very far until you've put a lot of time into it.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »

Is crawl like... say, Dredmore, where you can feasibly jump in, or more like DF, where a year on the wiki isn't enough?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 11:05:04 pm »

Well, I haven't played Dungeons of Dredmore and I was able to jump right into DF after like a day of wiki reading, so perhaps I'm not the best person to answer that question, but really the best way to learn crawl is just to play it a lot. The wiki can give you a good overview of the game, though you should use the knowledge bots if you ever need to lookup a specific mechanic, since information on the wiki is often out of date.

I'd recommend starting off by playing Troll Berserkers or some other character that has an easy early game to get a feel for things. Even then you should expect to die early and often. One of the good things about online play is that other people can spectate your games and give more specific advice, so I'm sure you could get someone better than me to help you out.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »

I'm interested in signing up.  Have seen a few of the branches but nowhere near a win -- top out around level 12 or so, usually because I get over confident.  My crawl name is blueDave, put me on a low intermediate team.  I'll attempt a bunch of combos, to get a few tourney points.   8)

Reminder to op...

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:52 pm »

Looks like team 2 has one more spot... shall I put you on HammerDave? Here is the people I have put:

Thornet Karlito Girlinhat Geen

What team name do you guys want? Should be something to bring glory to DF, Toady and Armok.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 03:11:58 am »

crawl is basically the easiest to jump into roguelike out there, using the hardcore opinion that dredmor isn't even a roguelike because it lacked a few key features on release that made me hate it

pointless rant at dredmor:
(the control scheme was slow as piss and if you ever observe another player playing crawl on the server which btw is something you can do! so yes teams can actually play together chat and help each other make choices and check each other's exact scenario... anyways...yeah people on the crawl server play at warp speed something you couldn't do when dredmor first came out, I heard they patched it but meh)

crawl's design philosophy is that if something is unintituive and stupid it gets removed from the game, that's why EXP dancing was removed (you don't need to know what that is) it's very possible to play crawl poorly, it's a very hard game, but it's quite easy to learn the interface, the skill comes from learning what choices to make and how to decide, and what strategies are most effective where... there are 102893102910 things you need to know to win, but only 1or2 things you need to know to start playing and having fun!

when I made it to the final level in the crawl .9 tournament and was within sight of the orb of zot I got a ton of advice from people in chat/forums and they made that advice by actually looking at my game screen! so they could give great advice, although the majority of the advice was, oh dude you're fucked you shouldn't've let so many of your resources get destroyed on the 2nd to last level before you contacted us for advice! (I fought quite a lot of draconians even though i probably should've just ignored them all with what build I had going I didn't realize exactly how unavoidable and huge a drain on my resources orbs of fire would be, and how also high a drain on resources for no reward and easy to avoid draconians were on the late game levels, that's one great thing about crawl, every death should teach a life long lesson, an obscure life long lesson that will almost never come up again!)

that's one reason I'm really hoping to get added to a bay12 team, one reason I get turned off by crawl is that well... sometimes I'm entirely stuck, halfway or 3/4ths of the way or so into the game, I get to a portion of the game I'm no longer experienced at (I'm not good so most of my experiences are playing the first half of the game over and over) and having someone to ask to take a look... well it can be nice, especially if they're self motivated to take a look because if I do better on that playthrough they get clan points too!~

if I don't get put on a team I'll play in the .12 tournament and maybe be smart enough to practice a bit beforehand :-p

TL;DR crawl is VERY EASY TO GET INTO I've taught 9yr old girls to play (they didn't play that well but still that speaks to the concepts and interface!) crawl is a very deep game with a very simple interface, it's fun right away!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:17:42 am by namad »

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 08:07:11 am »

that's one great thing about crawl, every death should teach a life long lesson, an obscure life long lesson that will almost never come up again!)

Really, I can't count the number of times I've been surrounded by Orbs of Fire or happened upon Menas sleeping or Trog punished me at a bad time or ...

Hmm, come to think of it I guess all of those happened in the game.  This is explains a lot!

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 01:42:39 pm »

I'm going to be busy today and tomorrow so I'm gonna enter a team name this morning... Migrant cheesemakers? Plump Helmet Harvesters? Blood For Armok?

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:48 pm »

D'oh, looks like I am once again hanging way out my depth with the big boys in Team 1. Kamina, if Dr Feelgood or someone of a similar calibre comes along, please feel free to bump me down to a lesser team, I won't mind at all at all.

Meanwhile, for names, I would keep things understated and ambigious personally - Strand extractors, Cheesemakers, Fish dissectors, that sort of thing.... maybe stick bay12 at the start, or DF, so we all share something in common, if brand identity is important :)
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2012, 02:53:54 pm »

Ok Bay12 Cheesemakers it is. Good luck have fun everybody.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

Looks like team 2 has one more spot... shall I put you on HammerDave? Here is the people I have put:

What team name do you guys want? Should be something to bring glory to DF, Toady and Armok.

Yes, if you need to put my crawl name it's blueDave.  Team name is fine.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »

Woohoo! I'm fine with whatever you guys want.

KJC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »

Alright team 3.  What should our team name be?  Bowyers?  Pump Operators?  Bone Carvers?

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »

If no one else minds, I'll take captainship duties for the Axelords. Here's the top of my rcfile, please correct me if I put in your crawl username wrong:
Code: [Select]
# TEAMNAME Bay12_Axelords
# TEAMMEMBERS alg tegga21 ggeez cganya vogonpoet

Let's once again use #b12crawl on freenode as our irc channel.

Good luck everyone, and have fun!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11