Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Feudalism Redux  (Read 14875 times)

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Redux
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 05:47:04 am »

sorry guys, RL got in the way, i'll go after Loud Whisper then
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 06:00:26 am »

behind Elu then.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 06:27:09 am »

For sake of keepin some order heres teh current turn order (:3)
Current Order: Loud Whispers -> Elu -> pisskop -> Edio -> me

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:53 am »

For sake of keepin some order heres teh current turn order (:3)
Current Order: Loud Whispers -> Elu -> pisskop -> Edio -> me
->me
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:44 am »

Loud whispers has map now?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 10:36:26 am »

He asked to be alerted by PM, so someone should send it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 10:38:08 am »

*Looks around*  Where is the link to map?
PKs DF Mod!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 10:47:33 am »

Im not done with the map yet shesh you guys are impatient >__>

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:29 am »

As long as we keep a list updated, it should be fairly orderly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 12:55:09 pm »

Im not done with the map yet shesh you guys are impatient >__>
:D :D :D :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »

Alright, I've been worrying about invasions, so here's some stuff I'm planning for The Isle of Fire to have to defends itself with. I've PMed a full list to Kadzar, pending approval.

-A big navy, for not only defense but enforcing trade regulations and dealing with pirates.
-Some setting-appropriate siege weapons at harbors, which there are few of. These have adequate staffing.
-Most citizens will be able to defend themselves in case of attack. There is also an official militia and the Redcliff Guard, which functions as a combination of police and full-time military. Supplementing their ranks may or may not be bauxite golems.

Also, please replace any previous references to "basalt" with "bauxite" and make the little buildings on the island bauxite red if you wouldn't mind. I decided it would fit the name better. I thought I mentioned this earlier but can't find the reference, so...All of the buildings on the Isle of Fire are made of bauxite in case of volcanic eruption due to enemy action, magic, or bad luck.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:49:17 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2012, 05:05:22 pm »

To go over some of the points you addressed in the PM:
I've been thinking about the Isle of Fire. My image for them was basically tall dwarves who live on an island, so some paranoid and overcomplicated defense stuff seems in order. Defensive mechanisms include:

A navy of excellent warships, to defend against invaders, prevent piracy, and enforce dominion over trade on the lake when needed. Most ships include at least a cannon/ballista/catapult, whichever is most feasible for the setting, per side, as well as some cross/bowmen to deal with enemy boarders, crew, or officers and some way of setting the enemy ship on fire. Crews also include marines trained in repelling boarding and, for the biggest and most powerful ships, a magician.
-Yeah, the navy is fine. He requested cannons for some of the ships; if no one objects, I don't really care either way, so long as you're using Middle Ages era cannons rather than those from the Age of Sail when cannons where actually practically built to be used on ships (so you'll probably need some sort of counterweight system or something).

As for the magicians, it's fine so long as they're limited to one per ship and only a few ships have them. Also, there needs to be some defined limitation to their magic (and this applies to all magic users in general). This could mean their magic is limited to a theme of some sort, is limited only to long rituals, has a weakness of some sort, has certain requirements to perform, etc. It might be a combination of several things, or include something like a needed focus or method (such as swordsmanship or martial arts or tea ceremony). Then run it by me, and, so long as it's flavorful and interesting and not overpowered (so nothing like D&D-style do-everything-else does-but-better wizards), I'll probably accept it.
Ballistae and the like bristle towards any harbor that an enemy ship could land at an deposit troops. There are enough people capable of using the weapons with some level of proficiency twice over.
Seems fine.
All adult make citizens and willing female citizens who are not in other defensive groups, such as manning the siege weapons, are trained for at least an hour or two each Saturday and Sunday, in case of invasion. There is also an official militia and the Red cliff Guard, a combination of standing army and police force. Finally, if you'll allow it, bauxite golems or similar guard important areas like the big town.
Everything except the golems is fine. You can have automated sentry turrets controlled by some vast, complex mechanical computer somewhere on the island if you want, though.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:10 pm »

Alright...The medieval cannons are fine.
The magicians will be trained in the Magical School of Redcliff, which requires a source of heat. Using one's own body heat is possible, but dangerous. A fair-sized power allows a lot of raw magical power, but has its own obvious issues. Hence, the mage's deck is typically made of some sort of metal or stone on the mage-carrying warships. Is this an acceptable limitation?
The turrets seem kinda...well, sure, sounds neat. Replace "automated" with "controlled from within a safe location" or something to that effect and that should be good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2012, 07:14:12 pm »

Yeah, that all sounds good.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 04:34:44 am »

I guess I am last in line atm. (After Zrk2 if I am not mistaken)

And as for my noble house:

Noble House von Chedel
Leader: Heinrich von Chedel
Territory: Castle Chedel
              City of Zernburg

I'll put it somewhere when I get the map :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10