Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Falling fluids  (Read 615 times)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Falling fluids
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »

Will water falling down a chute get sucked in through an active screwpump?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:02:59 am by Canadark »
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Falling fluids
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:35:43 pm »

It can be yes. I have heard some reports that it's possible for the screw pump to "miss" the water if it doesn't take at the right time though, so be careful.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »

Perfect. Thank you.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:39:46 pm »

It can be yes. I have heard some reports that it's possible for the screw pump to "miss" the water if it doesn't take at the right time though, so be careful.
I can't see how an active screw pump could possibly miss a falling liquid - pumps attempt to move liquids once every frame, and liquids only move once every 16 frames on average.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:29:51 am »

I can't see how an active screw pump could possibly miss a falling liquid - pumps attempt to move liquids once every frame, and liquids only move once every 16 frames on average.
Neither can I, but I've heard several reports that they have, which is why I included the warning. It's probably nothing, but I'd rather give an unneeded warning then have somebody end up with their fort flooded. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:02:29 am »

I'll give it a try and report my results.