Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about Moats...  (Read 2447 times)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
Question about Moats...
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »

I've recently built a deep (4 z-levels) moat, one that gets the water supply from the river. It only fills up the first level, due to the drainage system that keeps it flowing. I just drained it after a test flooding, and I am wondering, if I put spikes on the lowest level, would it increas the iffectiveness if someone fell into it? Like, if they landed on the spikes, would they start to bleed out, or would it just be a worthless addition.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Moats...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »

Spikes work. That's why they're built pointing up, rather than first attaching them to a mechanism to raise them.

They "attack" anything that falls onto them(from a higher z-level, not falls unconscious as per other traps), as if the spikes had raised while they were standing on it. This is in addition to fall damage.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:49:14 pm »

I know that, but would filling the moat with water be a bad idea?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »

This is relevant to my interests. PTW.

I think the two together would be extra deadly, but it depends if in DF fluids would slow falling rate.  So I can see why you have concerns it could be useless.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »

This is relevant to my interests. PTW.

I think the two together would be extra deadly, but it depends if in DF fluids would slow falling rate.  So I can see why you have concerns it could be useless.
As I remember dwarf physics, water does nothing to slow falls, at least not yet. A creature would fall through it as if they were falling through open air until they struck bottom. That's as I remember it. I'm not sure if the physics update with the minecarts did anything with water yet.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »

I've never known dwarfs to get hurt just from falling into water. This question you pose warrants some experimentation.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »

While falling into water may stun them, they could recover. With a few good spikes, you could cripple them, killing them quicker than either alone would. That's how I see it anyway.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »

in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=115761.0

it mentions about traps in water causing bleeding on the second spoiler of the first post.

So my guess is, is that spikes will be effective underwater.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »

The spikes would be effective because creatures fall to the bottom of the water and hit the 'floor', spikes would make that more painful. That said, 4z levels isn't that far even on to spikes so many 'tough' enemies would survive. Drowning will be the most deadly part of your pit if there is no escape route. Have a backup plan to deal with things that don't die getting in the pit. Urist will not carry his socks home if there is a bronze titan wandering around in it. In this case rigging pumps to pressure wash the pit in to a 100z level pit covered by a bridge is recommended. Another way to make the pit deadly is to attach the spikes to a lever and set it to be pulled on repeat... granted this method requires a dwarf is taken from other duties, and it may have times that it ends up unmanned. That said, my fortresses end up with about 20 legendary workers and 80 slackers quantum dumping things in piles so dwarf power is cheap.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:54 pm »

Does speed influence how well a creature dodges?
Most creatures in DF that live on land are far slower in water, so it stands to reason that the traps are far more effective in the water, or other such things...
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:47 pm »

May I suggest that you replace the water with magma? Far more effective than spikes and, of course, is much more awesome.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:08:18 pm »

I'm no where near a Volacano.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:32 pm »

As far as I have been able to tell, a victim gets a chance to dodge every attack.  Whether they take it (or succeed) is a different matter.  I've heard you can make a creature dodge multiple tiles by attacking with a multi-weapon weapon-trap.  I haven't tried that myself, but I know its the basis for most dodge-me pit traps people have posted about.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:02 pm »

As far as I have been able to tell, a victim gets a chance to dodge every attack.  Whether they take it (or succeed) is a different matter.  I've heard you can make a creature dodge multiple tiles by attacking with a multi-weapon weapon-trap.  I haven't tried that myself, but I know its the basis for most dodge-me pit traps people have posted about.
I once had a problem because a goblin doged every single spike, then walked quite calmly into my fort to wreak havoc. I still don't completely trust them anymore.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »

Adding a layer of water to the bottom shouldn't notably affect fall damage.
Water does cushion falls some, but only reducing fall damage done while falling through water; they don't slow down, they just speed up less.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2