Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a hauling route for a minecart shotgun?  (Read 384 times)

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting up a hauling route for a minecart shotgun?
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:21:57 am »

I have a working minecart shotgun that automatically returns used carts for loading.  At first I had a problem with my dwarves going up to the top of my shotgun design and pulling fully loaded carts off the rails to take the cart back to the first stop.  So I added a second stop to the hauling route, the first stop is of course the loading platform in my fortress, and the second stop is at the top where they carts are ready to fire.  The second stop has no departure condition, and now my dwarves are taking the empty cart from the loading platform and carrying it up to the top to be ready to fire again. 

How can I set up a hauling route for the minecart so that when it returns to the loading platform and is empty the dwarves will fill it, but leave it alone the rest of the time?

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a hauling route for a minecart shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:42:33 pm »

I have found that the best way to make dwarfs not touch your carts is to phisically not be able to path to them when they are in motion. Play around with skipping your carts up or down a z level to break the pathable areas. Its easy to go down, just push a cart over a rampless channell and have all the travel and shotgun and return "functions" in this seperate area.
Oh and as im writing this i remember my other trick i figured out. Forbid the carts. XD

Make sure you test your shotgun before you need to depend on it in every new fort you make.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."