Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Terrified to try DF!  (Read 5117 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrified to try DF!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:58 am »

The After Action tutorial is kind of dated. I'd recommend something a bit newer.

On the wiki:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Quickstart_guide

If you'd like a more in-depth video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06686270DA5FF439&feature=plcp

There's also a book you could purchase if you prefer that route.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:30 am »

Here's important advice: If you see a pillar made from cyan £'s, don't mine it unless you have a VERY good military.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:44 am »

Yeah, it's so valuable that mining two squares of the stuff will send your created wealth skyrocketing, often triggering a goblin siege on the spot.

Come on you guys, when has anyone spoilered legitimately?!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:18:08 am »

Yeah, I learned the basics of building a fort through the wiki's quick start guide. 

The game may seem forbidding, but trust me, it's very !!FUN!! and definitely worth it once you get into the game. Never think you've completely learned to play the game, as it's all one big learning experience.

After starting to play Dwarf Fortress I haven't touched Minecraft in months. Dwarf Fort is everything Minecraft could hope to be and more, in my opinion.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:46 am »

And something very important is a "Legendary Dining Room". A Dwarf can loose two pets and a child at once without going berserk, if he only can enjoy a decent drink and meal in an absurdly valuable dining room.

This of course is only an option if you are either playing without invasions or if you already have a working military, since it contributes to the "Bigger value, bigger sieges" problem.

To do this, dig a rather large room ( 20*40 is somewhat overkill but doesn't hurt) and fill it with chairs, tables, statues and so on. Build doors wherever necessary to make it "enclosed". Now you can press "q", move the cursor over one of your more central tables. The interface on the right now reads "r: Make Dining Room", which you press now and then adjust the size by "+" and "-". As long as you are with the cursor over this table, you can press "h" to make it a meeting hall (which you should if you don't already have one).
A Woodfurnace is also advisable, since it is the only workshop that gives other dwarves happy thoughts, as it counts as a fireplace.
To get the value high, smooth the stone completely (Keys : d->s). You can then go on to engrave (d->e) the smoothed stone, but you should do this when your Engraver smoothed enough stone to become a legendary Engraver. Best method is to let him smooth out your dwarves individual rooms, he will get experience very quick, and your dwarves will love their better rooms, too. Be aware not to Engrave stuff you want to remove later, that can give the Engraver very negative thoughts

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:31:41 pm »

DF is not as hard as some people make it out to be.
The main enemy will be the horribly inadequate interface (partially saved by dwarf therapist (don't even bother playing without it)).

The other thing that might be a problem would be vampires but unless you're playing fortress defense or immediately go to a high savagery evil zone things like immediate wipes don't really happen much.

Just remember to wall yourself in with a drawbridge entrance and have a farmland growing plump helmets with a distillery running and you can start experimenting and building things with near impunity.

Oh and keep an eye for possible vampires/werebeasts.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

The_Draf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:03 am »

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Dune?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:57 am »

Dune?

Or a really remarkable coincidence ;)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 11:06:11 am »

The main enemy will be the horribly inadequate interface (partially saved by dwarf therapist (don't even bother playing without it)).
I play without it fine...

::)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 11:09:20 am »

(don't even bother playing without it)
wat

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 11:19:00 am »

Me neither  ;D
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »

A Woodfurnace is also advisable, since it is the only workshop that gives other dwarves happy thoughts, as it counts as a fireplace.
While wood furnaces may give happy thoughts, your reasoning is false. Any building that is designed by a building designer (which includes all furnaces, wells, windmills, trade depots, screw pumps, supports, bridges, archery targets, and paved roads) may give happy thoughts if the dwarf that designed it has a high enough skill.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 01:39:30 pm »

That includes modded furnaces, btw.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »

Me neither  ;D
Same here.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 06:26:45 pm »

To mostly echo earlier comments, I had a relatively easy time with my first game of DF, thanks to:

- The wiki tutorial: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Quickstart_guide
It walks you through nearly every keystroke necessary to achieve a minimal, but complete and stable, starting fortress.

- Dwarf Therapist. (Do not attempt to play without it.)

The first real difficulty I encountered was limiting population size. Transitioning from managing a small group of dwarves to handling >100 of them is a big change from the early tutorial experience. A lot of the more difficult, potentially Fun, parts of the game are driven by population count, as well.

I initially handled this by murdering most immigrants to keep the population comfortably under 40. While fun, that can be messy and ultimately tedious. Consider setting [POPULATION_CAP:20] and [BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0] in d_init.txt for the sake of sanity while experimenting with game interface and features before dealing with titans, sieges and psychological factors of large groups.
Pages: 1 [2] 3