Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A new way to cross-train your military: Let them party!  (Read 2839 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: A new way to cross-train your military: Let them party!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 10:35:00 pm »

betting on 30+ survivors, most hardened by the experience.  Welcome to the tantrum spiral!  I honestly hate the thought that people would abandon, instead of seeing their way through the horror. I recommend giving orders for 200 coffins and setting some mason shops to build them on repeat now, the manager may bite the dust any minute.

Fort is down to just the vampire. THey did put up one hell of a seige, but then a few got struck down and uber-zombies began to overwhelm the others (four necromancers showed up at once so they couldn't compete when outnumbered 1:3 (100 dwarfs vs. 300 zombies).

Mostly depends now if the vampire's mind snaps. If the seige leaves and then I get migrants, the fort continues, else "Your settlement has crumbled to its end".

EDIT: Hrm, when the mayor died, the vampire wasn't appointed it. Seems I won't have any nobles until the fort pop gets back up to 50. Guess vampires can't become mayors ...

EDIT: Necromancer army: 513 (as of right now). Me: 1.

(though vampires aren't targetted by night creatures so maybe ...)

EDIT: So I can't draft the vampire due to loosing all my nobles. I ordered him to break down the wall holding him so when he gets off break, I'm curious to see what he'll do. I might be able to get him to fight by giving him hunting and see if he goes to mow down zombies. Annoying to say the least.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:50:09 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 10:55:42 pm »

You don't have enough dwarves to get a mayor. If enough migrants for that come, appoint the vampire as EL or mayor ASAP and go from there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 12:20:39 am »

your vampire should, at least, be ignored by the zombies.  Use that to hunt down the necromancers.

I have a pair of vampires bridged into a barracks-for-two that do nothing but train with each other.  They get released during sieges, and are utter beasts between the vampiric stat boosts and the legendary everything.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:27:48 am »

your vampire should, at least, be ignored by the zombies.  Use that to hunt down the necromancers.

I have a pair of vampires bridged into a barracks-for-two that do nothing but train with each other.  They get released during sieges, and are utter beasts between the vampiric stat boosts and the legendary everything.

Can't assign him to a squad due to no leader. Thinking I might just have to hit abandon. Its been almost a year, the 400 zombies are causing FPS death. Still, I like party training as an idea. Might be a useful way to make children be buff super-solders if you just make sure they don't have TOO many friends ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:00:09 am »

You could seperate them into groups of 4 or 5 and let them only socialize with their group. This could be accomplished with no meeting hall, and overlapping bedrooms. They'll hang out in their room when idling, and socialize with each other. But you'd have to assign the bedrooms carefully. You don't want one close friend to die, and lose your legendary armorsmith, legendary miner, etc. all at once due to madness. Might take a while, but you could locate the more skilled ones, and intersperse them with the less talented dwarves. You'd also need to vary them, so that you wouldn't lose 5 miners at once, for example.
Also keep in mind relatives and children. You'd prolly need to keep families together in larger bedrooms.

If tragedy strikes, the most you'll lose is a bedroom-full of dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:02:07 am by Ki11aGhost »

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:35 am »

Oh dear-  I had about 100 migrants in three seasons which choked my fort before I could get my dining/housing complex dug.  Dormed everyone, and they turned the tiny dining hall into a straight up mosh pit.  When I flipped open the social tab- holy crap!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 02:14:51 am »

I thought friends worked like masterpieces: the more you have, the less the loss of any one mattered to the dwarf in question?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 02:21:44 am »

I thought friends worked like masterpieces: the more you have, the less the loss of any one mattered to the dwarf in question?

And if one of your precious bolts friends exits the maps in the belly of a Yeti, you get miserable and kill yourself.

But I don't think it works like that anyway.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 01:38:26 pm »

They do not, death of a friend always gives fixed amount of unhappiness (50 by default, it's on wiki somewhere)
I'm a bit puzzled though by the fact NCommander can't assign vampire to a mayor by hand.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 [2]