Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skeletons into bones?  (Read 2202 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skeletons into bones?
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:19:27 am »

i dont want to lose another dwarf to a failed mood, so heres my plea:

I have several "skeletons" of assorted animals (horse, mule, yak amongst others), yet the butcher says he cant butcher a dead animal because theres none nearby.
How do i make the skeletons into bones so the dwarf can satisfy his mood?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletons into bones?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:23:19 am »

You can only butcher live domestic animals. Do so now, or hunt something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:31:45 am »

Do you have a refuse stockpile? Often butchers will refuse to butcher corpses lying around because they've not been stockpiled.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

But the job says "butcher dead animal"?
I thought slaughter was for live, and butcher, according to the wiki, should dismember a skeleton into bones...

Well, following your advice in checked my animals page only to see that my livestock had beenraped by greenskins last winter... in my panic i kinda accidently sent the military to the trade depot, where they kinda slaughtered the yak bull of the elven traders, so to speak, and somehow someone appearently took it apart and the moody dwarf was happy  :D
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:04:03 am »

I thought slaughter was for live, and butcher, according to the wiki, should dismember a skeleton into bones...

Well, following your advice in checked my animals page only to see that my livestock had beenraped by greenskins last winter... in my panic i kinda accidently sent the military to the trade depot, where they kinda slaughtered the yak bull of the elven traders, so to speak, and somehow someone appearently took it apart and the moody dwarf was happy  :D
There's a bug where animals belonging to your civil won't get butchered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:22:29 am »

Butcher shops only butcher fresh dead animals

Unfortunatly you can't chop skeletons down for the single bones, because their body still has cartilage and stuff like that, and you can't use things that rot.

If you have a necromancer lying around, though, you can try to hack the zombies to pieces. Sooner or later you'll get usable bones from the corpse corpse

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 11:24:32 am »

Unfortunatly you can't chop skeletons down for the single bones, because their body still has cartilage and stuff like that, and you can't use things that rot.
You can butcher skeletons that aren't too small / came from sentients

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:33:08 am »

/came from civ members.
Sig

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 11:37:08 am »

/came from civ members.
Oh yeah, that too. But resurrecting the corpse and killing it after lets you butcher it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:47:26 am »

/came from civ members.
Oh yeah, that too. But resurrecting the corpse and killing it after lets you butcher it.
By then you're butchering an undead corpse, not a dwarven-civ-corpse.
Sig

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 12:48:10 pm »

By then you're butchering an undead corpse, not a dwarven-civ-corpse.
Which is why it works. Lets you butcher ex-pets too.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »

... really? Because i have giant bushtit skeleton around, and so far my dorfs haven't tried butchering it... or do I have to get them to haul it to the nearest refuse pile?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 01:30:22 pm »

... really? Because i have giant bushtit skeleton around, and so far my dorfs haven't tried butchering it... or do I have to get them to haul it to the nearest refuse pile?
It would seem so, yeah. My Dwarves are making badger/wolf bone stacks as we speak.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »

It would seem so, yeah. My Dwarves are making badger/wolf bone stacks as we speak.
mhm, it appears so. I made a butcher shop outdoors and the butcher went straight for the horse skeleton from the dead elf merchants (due to siege. It was by no means my fault. I did not let my military lag behind, nossir)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

It has to be a nearby, unrotten, butcherable thingy.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2