Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best use for silver bars?  (Read 7020 times)

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best use for silver bars?
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:55:41 am »

So I have a surplus of silver bars thanks to goblinite, and nothing to use it for because of my lack of experience with the game. I'm using some to make silver maces/war hammers (since it's apparently second best for those), but is there anything else worthwile to use them for?

If nothing comes, i'd be thinking to use them for mechanism, as I lack rock and so far i've been making copper ones. Would that be an ok use?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Best use for silver bars?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:03:59 am »

My older forts tend to have silver statues EVERYWHERE. Silver floors, fortifications and walls are also nice, as are sliver roads. Silver drawbridges are also shiny. Basically, anything that adds fort value that doesnt need to be given ownership to anyone or traded away.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:09:01 am »

Silver axes, for civilian use?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:09:53 am »

Recent research has pointed to silver bolts having some efficiency in hurting goblins.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:13:34 am »

Recent research has pointed to silver bolts having some efficiency in hurting goblins.
if only there were slings, silver slingstones would be quite effective i imagine.

making minecarts would be good, they can be quite usefull at killing gobbos. otherwise i would just put the silver everywhere.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:16:33 am »

I thought that bolt effectiveness was not based on mass but sharpness. Nobody can agree. In the adamantine thread someone said that adamantine bolts were the best they tried and other people said they were the worst.

Still, if you like using traps, make spiked silver balls. They're more of a blunt-force trap component and they hit three times so something dense like silver would be a good fit.
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 08:22:31 am »

The best science threads I've seen point to density being vital. Shear something was also used in calculations, but bolts are fired hard enough that it doesn't matter IIRC.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:25:45 am »

if only there were slings, silver slingstones would be quite effective i imagine.

making minecarts would be good, they can be quite usefull at killing gobbos. otherwise i would just put the silver everywhere.
I don't quite have enough silver for that, though I'll be making statues anyway.

Silver spike ball seem a good idea, I guess I'll try that... when I find some more mechanisms >.< I'll just have to wait and see what my furnace operator has been smelting, perhaps some copper bars will turn out (and I'll make mechanisms out of that)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:31:09 am »

...Or stone mechanisms?

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:54 am »

...Or stone mechanisms?
All the stone I have avaliable are aquifers -.-

Been trying to dig past them, but I get easily confused.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:38:42 am »

...Or stone mechanisms?

So, what about silver mechanisms? Or lead mechanisms? If you've been getting your silver from galena then you'll have some lead anyway.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 09:12:48 am »

...Or stone mechanisms?

So, what about silver mechanisms? Or lead mechanisms? If you've been getting your silver from galena then you'll have some lead anyway.
I've been getting my silver from goblins. It's kinda hard to get to mineral ore if I can't dig past early aquifers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 09:56:26 am »

Import stone? If you can defeat enough goblins to get goblinite, it's probably cheaper to import stone than to forge metal mechanisms. Just buy what boulders they bring in bulk and only use them for mechanisms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:26 am »

Import stone? If you can defeat enough goblins to get goblinite, it's probably cheaper to import stone than to forge metal mechanisms. Just buy what boulders they bring in bulk and only use them for mechanisms.
I will, as soon as the next caravan rolls in. i only just got the hang of sieges, so I haven't been exactly the best trading partner.

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 10:58:07 am »

If he's going to import stone it might as well be tetrahedrite and cassiterite for bronze, or hematite and marble for steel. Mechanisms can be made from 1 bar of metal, and each ore produces 4. The extra can be used for weapons manufacturing, and having steel will definitely make the sieges go easier.
Pages: [1] 2