Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the Dwarves  (Read 885 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Finding the Dwarves
« on: September 14, 2012, 07:37:32 pm »

Ok so I finally get a totally badass adventurer and, seeing as he is a wicked murk thrall now, I want him to go raid the dwarven mountainhome I see on the fast travel map. However the game doesnt let you just fast travel across mountains or start fast travelling on mountains. I have been using the wait command to get glimpses of where I am in relation to it and now I am apparently right on top of its area, however still no dwarves.

In short, anyone know any ways to find a dwarf mountainhome visually (non-fast trave) in adventure mode? Any distinctive landmarks I should look out for?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:37:47 pm »

Dwarf Mountainhomes, Goblin Dark Fortresses and Elf Forest Retreats don't currently appear in adventure mode in any place other than on the map. They haven't been added to the game at all yet and there's no way to enter them. If you do want to encounter dwarves/elves/goblins in a settlement however, you can mod the game raws so those three races have their preferred settlement type (or something) as City. That way they will appear on a (newly generated) world in Towns and Hamlets just like humans do.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:43:14 pm »

Dwarf Mountainhomes, Goblin Dark Fortresses and Elf Forest Retreats don't currently appear in adventure mode in any place other than on the map. They haven't been added to the game at all yet and there's no way to enter them. If you do want to encounter dwarves/elves/goblins in a settlement however, you can mod the game raws so those three races have their preferred settlement type (or something) as City. That way they will appear on a (newly generated) world in Towns and Hamlets just like humans do.

This.

BUT

Toady is currently working on civ sites for the other races -- goblin towers this week, I believe -- so the next release should have fully developed Mountainhomes for your exploration and enjoyment.

Also, you can view a map of your surroundings (at the region tile resolution) from your Quest Log (entered with Q). If you know the name of the site and find it in the Sites list, you can also zoom (z, of course) to it and it'll show you where you are in relation to it at the region level until you are in the same region tile, and then at the... embark tile? Whatever the next level down is. Also, that legend in the top left of your screen (when not fast-traveling and not in the quest log) with all the symbols and directions will tell you which way to travel, if you're close enough for it to show up on the list.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:24:36 am »

I'm genuinely a little excited for the next release.
For the sites change, but also for the promise that the world won't be stagnant.
Yeah, I know full activity is a long way off, but the idea of people actually doing things in their world makes me happy.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:24 pm »

I'm genuinely a little excited for the next release.
For the sites change, but also for the promise that the world won't be stagnant.
Yeah, I know full activity is a long way off, but the idea of people actually doing things in their world makes me happy.
Me too. I look at it as the first step on a long road, but every step after comes closer.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:28:16 pm »

ah...damn I wanted to go murderlise the dwarf population of this world. If I single-handedly caused an extinction event that would be epic :P
And right now this adventurer is more then capable of doing so I'm sure
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.