Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bay12 Hive mind (formerly Toady's botnet)  (Read 1578 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Toady's botnet
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 07:17:04 am »

Now, what most people don't realize is obvious in conflation of the truth. The truth can be warped into a more useful answer. It hard to describe, but lying is obviously bull, but the truth, defuses it somehow. And really, all you need is to know what someone expects is the truth. It is about someones perception of reality, and how you can abuse it. Whether or not you believe your own story is irrelevant, save for obvious tells. Its all about content ad how you deliver it. I can almost always spin a perfectly posssible Lie almost instantly, with the absolute most realistic delivery ever, Because, I think about what I would be expected by the individual to say in these given circumstances.

I should teach a course on this.
That's kind of the thing I meant. There's words for that?
Except I'm kind of a little bit absolutely terrible at reading other people so it's only ever applicable when it's pretty obvious what's going on. So pretty much only when other people are flipping out, probably over something I have/haven't done.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Bay12 Hive mind (formerly Toady's botnet)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 01:01:27 pm »

This thread meta-derailed from the possibility of Toady infiltrating people's dreams to the discussion of a hive mind focused on derailing the hive mind. The hive mind enjoys this conversation with the hive mind.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 01:20:48 pm »

This thread meta-derailed from the possibility of Toady infiltrating people's dreams to the discussion of a hive mind focused on derailing the hive mind. The hive mind enjoys this conversation with the hive mind.
How do you expect the hivemind to derail the thread that could possibly destabilise its entire structure? And this particular one was done quite well, we know that it ended up off the rails, but at what point did it leave?
That is a sign of a derail that was meant to work.

Toady wants us silent about his control. And I would go along with it I guess.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:41 am »

This is obviously a silly thread.  However, there is an additional practical reason to doubt DF has any nefarious brainwashing ability -- it's not really that addictive.  There are lots of people like me who play occasionally but often spend months away from the DF community -- the "DF Coma".

As proof of this, consider Eternal Suggestions.  At present, the absolute top-ranked suggestion, "Improved Hauling", is marked "already in progress; please reallocate your votes".  Clearly, there are over a thousand people who once cared about DF enough to enter votes, but haven't been paying attention for months.  (Note: I do not know exactly when the "in-progress" note was added, but 2012-05-14, the time of the minecart release, would be a conservative guess.  That's 4 months ago.)
Pages: 1 [2]