Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. A gnome short of $4 million!  (Read 15162 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. On Kickstarter!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 04:13:35 pm »

Aaaaaand it's done, 1,1 million. Any guesses on how big the final figure will be?

3-4 million.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 04:40:20 pm »

Meanwhile at Obsidian HQ...

http://youtu.be/ON-7v4qnHP8

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 04:46:07 pm »

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

That's disgustingly mesmerizing...

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to this game.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 02:11:58 am »

Why developers can't take Castle Story noble approach and don't post silly, for marketing purposes only, stretch goals?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 02:39:19 am »

Yeah, can't say I have liked the stretch goals they made very much, specially when the base game isn't even set to be possible for them to add an "extra class"  or "extra region". Still, we shall see I guess.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. Funded!
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:48 am »

So, uh, they've gotten to 1.8 mil. And they've been doing daily updates. So far, some of the more notable things:
-There will be a DRM-free version on GOG.
-They're still thinking of the races, but apparently humans, elves and dwarves are in. They call these the "recognizable" races, and they're also considering "out-of-the-ordinary" and "truly odd" races to put in. And since they've now reached two stretch goals encompassing a new race, hopefully we'll see something more interesting among the playable races.
-There's supposed to be themes related to souls, how they fragment over generations, how more than one can reside in a person, and how that ties to magic (update 5 for more details).
-Civilization technologies are to range from stone age to Renaissance-like (early gunpowder weapons).
-They're using the Unity engine.
-Experience will be quest-awarded, so diplomats get the same exp as berzerkers.
-Utility skills are built up separately from combat skills. So you don't have to choose between upping your lockpicking and upping your sword skill (or whatever categories they'll have) when you level up.

Also, Tim Cain in a Kingdom of Loathing t-shirt.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:40 am »

Also, Linux version! (probably only matters to me)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2012, 11:29:11 am »

Most important part to me is the DRM-free version. Guess I'll pick this one up when it comes out. I really liked BG1, IWD1, and especially P:T but never played the other ones. I actually prefer the EoB / Grimrock style but the two are simply different and I like the BG style for different reasons.

I'm not sure which presentation type gives a better depiction of a D&D game, or if the NWN/Dungeon Seige method is better, or a pure FPS/Third-Person (which would work best in singleplayer solo or multiplayer but would work poorly in controlling a party).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:05 pm »

I still have my doubt's about this. I did not pledge because I need a bit more than "its a RPG" to do so. I can't really get excited over this becase there is nothing actually there to get excited over.

-They're still thinking of the races, but apparently humans, elves and dwarves are in. They call these the "recognizable" races, and they're also considering "out-of-the-ordinary" and "truly odd" races to put in. And since they've now reached two stretch goals encompassing a new race, hopefully we'll see something more interesting among the playable races.

out-of-the-ordinary races sound's interesting. Hopefully more interesting then the usual Human, Elves Human, Dwarves stubby Humans etc. Im also interested in how "out-of-the-ordinary" races would work with the gameplay. some slight stat adjustments, or something quite different?

Hopefully its not too D&Dish, in my opinion it does not very well on a computer.

The day i see EA using kickstarter i.... i really dont know if ill cry or rage.. maybe both at the same time.....

If EA used kickstarter it would start an internet riot. It would not go down well.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 02:43:59 am »

I'm excited for it. I grew up playing those old RPGs (BG, BG2, ect.), and even without much information, I keep in mind that its a brand new IP, that details are still being worked out, and that the devs had very little reason to start on the actual work until the funding was in to begin with. Otherwise they'd just be wasting their time.

Still, its a fantasy setting.  While new, creative races are nice, there's a reason while elves, dwarves, and usually some form of orc or goblim is the main-stay for fantasy settings all over. Everyone recognizes them, and everyone knows exactly what they are.

My biggest issue at this point is how much class customization is going to be allowed.  Using a class as an archetype is all well and good, but I don't want to be stuck doing a 'rogue', or a 'fighter' the entire time.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2012, 04:13:10 am »

out-of-the-ordinary races sound's interesting. Hopefully more interesting then the usual Human, Elves Human, Dwarves stubby Humans etc. Im also interested in how "out-of-the-ordinary" races would work with the gameplay. some slight stat adjustments, or something quite different?

Hopefully its not too D&Dish, in my opinion it does not very well on a computer.
Well, what gives me hope is that I think one of those involved once said more or less "If we can't program in reactions to a party of dryads entering a town, then we won't put the possibility of such a party in.". Like basically maybe NPCs will react differently to different races? Then again, that might've been Tim Cain's words and he's been saying he's not in a designer role this time.

And they've mentioned they're making a new system to fit more with a cRPG than their previous P&P system based projects did.

Still, its a fantasy setting.  While new, creative races are nice, there's a reason while elves, dwarves, and usually some form of orc or goblim is the main-stay for fantasy settings all over. Everyone recognizes them, and everyone knows exactly what they are.
You know, the most interesting thing around in terms of popular fantasy right now is Game of Thrones. Not an elf, dwarf or orc in sight in that one. What I'm basically implying is that the only element of familiarity people need is humans. It's alright, you don't have to rip off Tolkien's/D&D/whatever race archetypes, you can move on. Do something new. Just have humans around and you're golden.

While it probably won't drain my enjoyment much if the typical fantasy races are there, I'm really tired of seeing these races over and over for no reason. Like at least put a fucking twist on them. Make them look like the Die by the Sword orcs, kobolds and dwarves or something. Stop with the needless sameyness.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 05:35:47 am »

Like basically maybe NPCs will react differently to different races?

That would be nice. In most games with selectable races, NPC's rarely care what you are, even when they particularly should. It's all good that a back story says such and such, but NPC's should help re-inforce that instead of treating you only as a generic PC.

You know, the most interesting thing around in terms of popular fantasy right now is Game of Thrones. Not an elf, dwarf or orc in sight in that one. What I'm basically implying is that the only element of familiarity people need is humans. It's alright, you don't have to rip off Tolkien's/D&D/whatever race archetypes, you can move on. Do something new. Just have humans around and you're golden.

While it probably won't drain my enjoyment much if the typical fantasy races are there, I'm really tired of seeing these races over and over for no reason. Like at least put a fucking twist on them. Make them look like the Die by the Sword orcs, kobolds and dwarves or something. Stop with the needless sameyness.

I like having different races as opposed to just humans. Humans are boring :P. Unfortunetely most game races are either so very slightly different from humans they seem redundant (Elves, for example) and/or they are copied verbatim from something else (Elves, for example. I don't like elves). I suppose Game of Thrones observed the former point and did something about it by getting rid of them. (Disclaimer: I dont know anything about the actual design decisions or their motives behind Game of Thrones). Though I would have preffered the other option (think up something more original, or at the very least try to alter the standard races somehow).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 07:26:08 pm »

It really depends upon the setting and how well-thought out and lore-rich it is.  The elves in Tolkien's work, for example, were awesome.  Half-mystical beings from another 'realm' that slowly lost their powers over the centuries of being stuck in Middle Earth, while still continuing to make voyages to their homeland when they grow old was a cool idea; and the fact that they were twisted into the Orcs via dark magicks was cool, as well.

It just depends on the lore and how deeply intrenched they are in the setting.  Personally though, I want to play a Ilithid (Mind Flayer). Mwhahahaha.  Give me your brains!  ;D
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »

If there is one thing I love about many Kickstarter projects is because YOU are the person funding the project it means that the team's way to entice you is through gameplay and not profits.

A developer has to convince a producer that their game will make them lots of money.

A Developer on kickstarter has to convince you that the game will be awsome.

Makes me wish I had the money and ability to donate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7