Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. A gnome short of $4 million!  (Read 15165 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. On Kickstarter!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 05:32:17 pm »

Sadly I just can't get into it.  Especially given my last experience with them was NWN2 which doesn't hold a candle to NWN1.

And how Fallout NV just wasn't as good as Fallout 3.

Did you play Mask of the Betrayer?
Love, scriver~

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:09 pm »

So... Over half million and it's not even the end of the first day...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »

What do you mean by overfunding? Many projects get more than their goal. Admittedly 10,000 times the 10k pledge would be... quite something else.

Also ohgod the pledged amount is already 341,722$.

More funding then they could ever possibly use on the project. 10 million dollars for example... would definately be overfunded.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 06:15:01 pm »

What do you mean by overfunding? Many projects get more than their goal. Admittedly 10,000 times the 10k pledge would be... quite something else.

Also ohgod the pledged amount is already 341,722$.

More funding then they could ever possibly use on the project. 10 million dollars for example... would definately be overfunded.
Going by the speed it is going, I wouldn't be surprised if it went to 10 Million.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 06:20:45 pm »

LOL

good one

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »

LOL

good one

Lets not get into this debate it is a black hole.

I am kinda... not wanting another depressing game.

Are you sure this is going to be a spiritual sequel to Planescape?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 06:33:58 pm »

A note: Considering the response so far to this kickstarter project, it does raise some interesting questions about those who insist that "pc gaming is dead" doesn't it? :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »

A note: Considering the response so far to this kickstarter project, it does raise some interesting questions about those who insist that "pc gaming is dead" doesn't it? :P

Psh... "PC is dead" has been floating around for so long I am surprised people don't just burst out laughing whenever someone brings it up.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 06:55:38 pm »

Psh... "PC is dead" has been floating around for so long I am surprised people don't just burst out laughing whenever someone brings it up.

By now, the guy who coined that phrase is probably dead.

Normally, I avoid Kickstarter and its assortment of unproven rickety development houses that promise all the right things. But these guys can cross the finish line, and it will be interesting to see what happens when they do so on their own terms.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 06:58:40 pm »

By now, the guy who coined that phrase is probably dead.

From shame, one would think. Seriously, how wrong can one human being be about something? And that phrase was uttered at a time when the PC market was underwhelming, at worst.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:38 pm »

Are you sure this is going to be a spiritual sequel to Planescape?

It doesn't say that anywhere on their site or in their video, so I'm assuming that it's not a spiritual successor to PS:T.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:35 pm »

$706,964 :D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:35 pm »

To me Obsidian is a Devloper company without any attachment, kinda rogue if you look at all the other big name, they are like that black sheep in the herd, while they are not indie per-say, to me they try to acheive what most indie devs wants, gameplay over anything else. So for me they are welcome in as the money going to them will affect how deep the game is since more money = more hands on deck and also can work on it without having that damn release date hammer over their head publisher LOVE to remind them.

The day i see EA using kickstarter i.... i really dont know if ill cry or rage.. maybe both at the same time.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 11:36:21 pm »

Tactical real-time cRPG! So many times yes! I love Obsidian although they often have a history of having games released before they were finished. Hopefully it being self-published will stop this problem and we'll finally see an Obsidian game that was fully finished with all it's planned features.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 12:17:41 am »

The day i see EA using kickstarter i.... i really dont know if ill cry or rage.. maybe both at the same time.....

EA is mostly a company that gobbles up decent development houses that just ran out of money at some point, so its role as the moneyman is kinda central to its identity. I mean, would you mind if Will Wright used Kickstarter for a SimEarth sequel? But then how would EA executives retain "creative" control over a project that has outside funding and doesn't need to come begging? My guess is that they would strictly forbid their development teams from weakening their influence like that.

Tactical real-time cRPG! So many times yes! I love Obsidian although they often have a history of having games released before they were finished. Hopefully it being self-published will stop this problem and we'll finally see an Obsidian game that was fully finished with all it's planned features.

Well... they can technically still run out of money before they're done. The name of the website is Kickstarter, not Kickfinisher, heheh. I suppose if they need extra funding with a game almost finished, they could easily find a mainstream publisher willing to put them over the finish line, though.

$736,936 btw.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7