Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. A gnome short of $4 million!  (Read 15156 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. A gnome short of $4 million!
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Goal: $1,100,000
Pledged Amount: $3,986,929!
Days Remaining: ZILCH

Obsidian Entertainment, the guys behind Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate ect.... have announced their new project and brought it to Kickstarter.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

From the sounds of it's going to cleave very closely to the format of their other games in terms of combat style, story delivery and their story-telling goals.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

Barely announced and they're already at $100,000.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:02:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. On Kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:07:07 pm »

Man is it fun to watch the pledged amount counter practically gain ten thousand every minute.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »

What's next, EA funds Sims 4 and Madden 2014 with Kickstarter?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:46:53 pm »

pledged

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:54:18 pm »

This is fairly logical for Obsidian. They've always had an odd mercenary thing going on, not being part of any larger company. And this way they don't have to worry about publishers rushing development like in... well, practically every single Obsidian game.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:51 pm »

nostalgia of classic RPGs

*Groan*

Well... if anyone can pull off a great RPG without "It isn't bad because it is classic" it is them. So I guess this statement isn't so bad.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »

Throwing 35 USDs at them. This look really good, specially if they finally manage to do it without being rushed by the publisher.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »

Thinly veiled spiritual sequel to P:T?

Count me the fuck in.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:20:39 pm »

Thinly veiled spiritual sequel to P:T?

Count me the fuck in.

I am not sure I could play anything that depressing again.

Planescape Torment is practically surrounded by a impenetrable wall of depression without the Fallout saving grace of "well people survived and are getting by". It is just a continuously dying setting.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

This is fairly logical for Obsidian. They've always had an odd mercenary thing going on, not being part of any larger company. And this way they don't have to worry about publishers rushing development like in... well, practically every single Obsidian game.

It may be logical, but I don't want to see this turn into a trend. This needs to stop. This isn't Tim Schaefer and a handful of friends making a game in genre has been dead for nearly 20 years (DoubleFine Adventure Game). In that example, that game would never be made without crowd funding. In this case...Obsidian is an established studio. The genre they are making in (RPG, turn based) is very much alive and commercially viable. They have a pile of employees. Fallout New Vegas sold at least 5 million copies at near full price... and probably  reused a tremendous amount from Fallout 3 - meaning : less development costs.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-new-vegas/1132960p1.html. Why exactly do they need $1 million to make this game? Where did all the New Vegas money go?

I think this kinda is insulting to the indie game developers who really need Kickstarter,  and if every pseudo-famous developer in the world comes out of the woodwork to fund their pet projects, the good indie projects are going to get overshadowed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:42:36 pm by Mullet Master »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:24:41 pm »

I do think Mullet Master has a point.

There is a point where you feel like Kickstarter is just being used so they don't have responsibilities to publishers and producers.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:07 pm »

Didn't they get screwed on F:NV?  Something about metacritic ratings iirc.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:20 pm »

As much as I want more old school style RPGs, I'm not going to give my money to a pitch that is pretty much entirely made up of the studio's reputation with little to no info about the game itself.

It may be logical, but I don't want to see this turn into a trend. This needs to stop. This isn't Tim Schaefer and a handful of friends making a game in genre has been dead for nearly 20 years (DoubleFine Adventure Game). In that example, that game would never be made without crowd funding. In this case...Obsidian is an established studio. The genre they are making in (RPG, turn based) is very much alive and commercially viable. They have a pile of employees. Fallout New Vegas sold at least 5 million copies at near full price... and probably  reused a tremendous amount from Fallout 3 - meaning : less development costs.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-new-vegas/1132960p1.html. Why exactly do they need $1 million to make this game? Where did all the New Vegas money go?

I think this kinda is insulting to the indie game developers who really need Kickstarter,  and if every pseudo-famous developer in the world comes out of the woodwork to fund their pet projects, the good indie projects are going to get overshadowed.

I'd have absolutly no problem with this if they put in as much effort as narly all the indie studios have to. While they probobly can't afford to straight up make the game themselves, they can probobly do more than "yeah it'll have party members and stuff in, here's a picture I drew. Also, erm... Choices? Oh and there's magic! Give us money now."

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »

Didn't they get screwed on F:NV?  Something about metacritic ratings iirc.

You are correct, they lost a bonus. But I find it hard to believe that they developed the game strictly for the possibility of a bonus.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/obsidian-missed-fallout-new-vegas-metacritic-bonus-by-one-point/

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »

What? its not about money, its about creative freedom. they can get hired in an instant developing for any publisher, making exactly the same game they are trying to kickstart here, but without the freedom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7