Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. A gnome short of $4 million!  (Read 15158 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Eternity, Obsidian's new RPG. On Kickstarter!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 02:33:41 am »

The day i see EA using kickstarter i.... i really dont know if ill cry or rage.. maybe both at the same time.....

EA is mostly a company that gobbles up decent development houses that just ran out of money at some point, so its role as the moneyman is kinda central to its identity. I mean, would you mind if Will Wright used Kickstarter for a SimEarth sequel? But then how would EA executives retain "creative" control over a project that has outside funding and doesn't need to come begging? My guess is that they would strictly forbid their development teams from weakening their influence like that.

Tactical real-time cRPG! So many times yes! I love Obsidian although they often have a history of having games released before they were finished. Hopefully it being self-published will stop this problem and we'll finally see an Obsidian game that was fully finished with all it's planned features.

Well... they can technically still run out of money before they're done. The name of the website is Kickstarter, not Kickfinisher, heheh. I suppose if they need extra funding with a game almost finished, they could easily find a mainstream publisher willing to put them over the finish line, though.

$736,936 btw.
Unless they seriously underestimate the costs of making the game, they should be able to start sales to enter the beta by then.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 03:22:20 am »

Are you sure this is going to be a spiritual sequel to Planescape?

It doesn't say that anywhere on their site or in their video, so I'm assuming that it's not a spiritual successor to PS:T.

They're making a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games, which includes Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and yes, Planescape: Torment. They expand on this in the interviews posted earlier in the thread.

To me Obsidian is a Devloper company without any attachment, kinda rogue if you look at all the other big name, they are like that black sheep in the herd, while they are not indie per-say, to me they try to acheive what most indie devs wants, gameplay over anything else. So for me they are welcome in as the money going to them will affect how deep the game is since more money = more hands on deck and also can work on it without having that damn release date hammer over their head publisher LOVE to remind them.

The day i see EA using kickstarter i.... i really dont know if ill cry or rage.. maybe both at the same time.....

They're an Indie developer, they just don't make Indie games :P
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 03:34:31 am »

I'm pretty sure the 'spiritual successor/sequel to Torment' is a completely different idea Avellone has been kicking around.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 03:41:23 am »

Unless they seriously underestimate the costs of making the game, they should be able to start sales to enter the beta by then.

True, but at this point, it appears they'll be playing around with a much higher multiple of their asking price, anyway.

I hope they do more work on that map. The place-names seem a bit hokey. Eir Glanfath? Really? Wow! I didn't know Obsidian hired a kobold game-designer to write the alphabet soup for their map locations!

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2012, 04:32:30 am »

It sounds like its either Irish or Welsh. So the place is either populated by drunks or shepherders.  :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 04:48:27 am »

Doesn't sound very weird to me either. It does have a pseudo-Britannian feel to it, and it's certainly not "alphabet soup", unless you consider anything that doesn't conform to English (or your language of choice) placename and sound culture as such. Of course, that's only one name, and I haven't looked at the map yet.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 05:04:27 am »

Yeah, I'm digging the Irish/Welsh-influenced names. It's a shame most of the names on the map seem to be standard high fantasy names, bleh. I bet the 'Ruins of Eír Glanfath' are the ruins of some elven or other precursor civilization, too.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 05:07:42 am »

Looks much more like Irish to me than Welsh. You know it's Welsh when it's the second most visually insulting language next to Tagalog/Polish which tie at first.  :P

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 05:12:36 am »

And how Fallout NV just wasn't as good as Fallout 3.

I don't understand why a NWN1 fan would fin FNV worse than F3.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 07:25:21 am »

They're making a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games, which includes Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and yes, Planescape: Torment. They expand on this in the interviews posted earlier in the thread.

So it's a spiritual successor to 3 fairly different games?

I'm going to make a spirtual succcessor to halo, cod, and half life! Or Forza, Burnout and wipeout!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 12:18:05 pm »

Just reached its goal, FYI. On the second day. Niiiiiiiiiice. I wonder what the stretch goals they mentioned will be.

EDIT: Err, sorry, misread. Not quite yet. Still, not much now. I'll be surprised if it hasn't got the rest by the end of the day.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:21:35 pm by Digital Hellhound »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 03:36:08 pm »

Wow, barely more than a day and already 1 million.

I pledges this. I pledges this so hard.

Obsidian is exactly the kind of company that needs to get rid of moneygrubbin' publishers and FINISH ONE DAMN GAME.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 03:54:00 pm »

Aaaaaand it's done, 1,1 million. Any guesses on how big the final figure will be?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »

Aaaaaand it's done, 1,1 million. Any guesses on how big the final figure will be?

31 days to go. Obviously, 31 million. That means 30 sequels off the bat. 8)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 04:08:20 pm »

Wait, roll it back: The turn-based isometric genre is alive beyond the relatively little-funded "indie games"? Pretty sure Wasteland 2 had the issue when going to publishers of: Can you make it an FPS? The children of Black Isles have a nasty history with publishers of being fucked over. Repeatedly and hard.

Obsidian is a master of grey morality and some pretty agonising choices in video games, of actually making you think (unlike Bioware's approach of "Be Jesus" or "KICK ALL THE PUPPIES"). So if I give them £20, they have the freedom to run rampant with their ideas? You know what, I think just seeing what that'd look like is worth the money.

It's time to give yet another present to future me :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:14:23 pm by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7