Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 1349 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Is this normal?
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:27:18 pm »

Hello, I've been lurking in this forum for a few months now and have made this account to ask something.

I suppose i should start with the context:
My dwarf fortress suddenly stopped working a while ago, and after much frustration and many redownloads, i am finally able to play again. I lost all my previous saves, so i generated a new world. it was pockect sized (or just small, i've forgotten), low civs, sites, history, lowest setting savagery and no. of large beasts, medium(-to-low) mineral occurance. i looked at the world map and decided to embark on a small good island near the lower-left corner. i embarked, mainly masons, some fisherdwarves, carpenters, etc. After arriving and checking out my starting seven for interesting deities in the relashonship screen, as i always do, i began to survay my surroundings. it was a medium-sized hill, with a smal strip of ocean at the edge of the screen. So far, nothing paticularly notable. then i examined the beach;
(Im not sure if theses images will come up, i cant seem to get this working using the screenshots i took :(. any advice? Also, i apologise if you cant understand the graphic pack, but i have problems with eye strain and the vanilla ASCII gives me a horrible headache :(. )

(if you cant see these images, its a black/grey beach, which when examined with the K key, says obsidian/obsidian pebbles, and a picture of the next Z-level down, showing a damp obsadian wall.)
So is this a glitch, or is this normal in the newest versions?(the only moddification to the game i made was to, using the lazy newb pack, change pop cap to 30, and I turned off aquifier.)

Ps: my key board S, N, and T keys sometimes dont work, so sorry for any typos.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:46:26 pm »

An obsidian beach isn't any more abnormal than anything else in DF.

Congrats.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:52:23 pm »

Thanks for the reply, i was worried my game was glitched or something. ive never gotten something weird like this before. Ill probably not be able to make much use of this resource, which is a shame, but oh well. thx again

Edit: Though does anyone know how i can upload images properly? just thought I'd ask here instead of start another thread.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:56:35 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

Use a website like imgur or imageshack

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »

Thanks. I'll Try to remmber that next time.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »

There are beaches not unlike that in Hawaii. Obsidian doesn't really form grains and pebbles but other igneous extrusive rocks such as basalt can form black sand beaches where a lava flow hits the shore.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »

There are beaches not unlike that in Hawaii. Obsidian doesn't really form grains and pebbles but other igneous extrusive rocks such as basalt can form black sand beaches where a lava flow hits the shore.

Or Iwo Jima

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 02:52:41 pm »

A good chunk of my forts make pimped out obcidien swords for trade.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 12:06:07 pm »

I've never actually encountered obsidian, even around the magma sea...

So I'm jealous.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 02:08:34 pm »

Obsidian used to be a bit more accessible when thick rings of it surrounded magma tubes. Nowadays the only real way to get any is to produce it manually.
Now that I think about it, that is really kind of weird that it doesn't occur naturally in and around the magma sea.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »

I occasionally find obsidian layers in igneous extrusive stone.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:46 pm »

Obsidian used to be a bit more accessible when thick rings of it surrounded magma tubes. Nowadays the only real way to get any is to produce it manually.
Now that I think about it, that is really kind of weird that it doesn't occur naturally in and around the magma sea.
I never seem to encounter it either, only appearing on my map when I made it myself to access the candy under the magma.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 03:38:44 pm »

You can always farm your own. I never seem to be able to get competent enough in the use of pumps to do so though :P