Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about training weapons.  (Read 1022 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Question about training weapons.
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:37 pm »

One thing I tend to do with my dwarves is make wooden training weapons and give them to the military dwarves, and also give them standard weapons such as steel ones. My question is do they utilize the training weapons during training and save their regular weapons for actual combat?

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about training weapons.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:44:23 pm »

You can set it up to work like that, I believe, but I don't know how - and honestly, I've never had to bother. Training Weapons first came out in DF2010, and before that, they were sorely needed. Sparring accidents in 40d were fairly common if you didn't equip your dwarves carefully and could easily kill them or maim them for life. But DF2010 also changed how sparring works (mostly, Toady adding the whole "play hits" / "lightly-tapping" system) and now the practice combat that Dwarves engage in is much less ... Spartan ... such that, even arming them with real weapons, I've never ever seen one injured in training since DF2010 dropped.

So, you can probably forego training weapons and just have them spar with their battle kit; you're much less likely to lose dwarves to sparring accidents than you are to an organizational error on your part that sends them out against a goblin siege armed with balsa wood.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:46:04 pm by Torchy »

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:30:40 am »

Once you train to level three or so, steel axes just do wonders against nude goblins.

I put training axes on them and a couple goblins can take a quartet of recruits quite a while to beat to death with training equipment.

Quite fruitful.  Just put those recruits in full kit-  they have. Lost teeth to these sessions, which made me unhappy.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:31:24 am »

You can't schedule the use of training weapons you have to manually set them to training then manually to real weapons when the real fight comes, however training weapons are not really needed since during sparring they will "lightly tap" each other on a successful hit. I've never had ANY training injuries since that little sparring change although i don't send them to training without shield&armor (for skills).

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:29:00 am »

Guess I'll never need to craft training weapons again!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »

At least until Toady decides to rehaul "play hits" and pulls a carp on us :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 08:04:54 am »

Well all training weapons are good for is gangbashing a nude goblin/elf prisoner with training weapons for some exp.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:05:51 am »

You can also use them to equip a slightly-better-than-unarmed militia if you can't or won't give them metal stuff.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:11:57 am »

You can also use them to equip a slightly-better-than-unarmed militia if you can't or won't give them metal stuff.

In this case i'd give everyone a xbow and wooden bolts over training weapons.
Self promotion below.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 08:24:02 am »

You apparently have more wood, quivers, and confidence in marksdwarves than I.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:31:56 am »

You apparently have more wood, quivers, and confidence in marksdwarves than I.
Not really but whacking people with a wooden xbow is almost as efective as whacking them with a wooden axe and they get a chance at shooting them before the whacking begins as a bonus.
I get more leather than i need from traders who are more than happy taking all those useless rock boats mugs and other junk off me so quivers are a nonissue most of the time.
Self promotion below.