Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Roll to Survive: A Mystery/Survival RTD  (Read 8766 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Survive: A Mystery/Survival RTD
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 04:31:17 pm »

"Victor Sulu"
Walk outside and look around
Victor bundles up and heads outside. The MMA studio he teaches at is only a few blocks from Lake Michigan, so there's almost two feet of snow and plenty of wind. Frankly, that sentence was more an excuse to throw some exposition in than anything. Victor walks around, trying to figure out what's wrong. There aren't any cars around, which strikes Victor as quite odd indeed. Something in the air smells odd. Victor hears Jamie and Gretchen calling. They apparently read something on their phones or something. Whatever happened, there's still reception.

Ehh, it's probably nothin'. Maybe I should call Bert and see if anything's up.

Eric Romani: Find phone, try to call associate.
Eric comforted himself with the thought that whatever was causing almost all sounds of a modern city to stop was probably nothing. He lived in an apartment, six blocks from the building he worked at. Grabbing clothes, Eric dialed his phone. It went to voice mail.
"Hey, Bert, it's Eric. I was wondering if you knew what was going on. Other than nothing. Either there aren't any cars driving around this corner of Chicago this morning or they really improved the soundproofing in the building overnight. Call me back soon, okay? Goodbye."

Robert Stays and listens to the Radio for awhile, afterwards he talks to some of the other students about what is going on.

He will then leave and try to collect some supplies.

Yup, the whole University of Chicago campus has been quarantined, along with a fair number of the surrounding blocks. It's just a voice describing the streets that bound the quarantine area, where there is allegedly some sort of barrier going up. Chatting with the other students reveals little he didn't find out from the automated, looping message. Probably the oddest thing is that Harold--the guy whose radio it is--says that the message isn't playing on any of the normal radio stations. Weird. Robert heads out for supplies, thinking of what and where he's looking for.

((Did I understand that right, there are abandoned cars in the road with doors left open?))

Phillip Anderson starts to jog, but only gets a few paces before deciding this is too weird. He looks around. If no one is in sight to talk to he cautiously examines a few nearby cars. He particularly wants to know if there are signs of struggle, and if keys and belongings have also been left behind. If he finds nothing startling he returns to his apartment and tries to check the TV/Radio/Internet for a news report.
You understand correctly.
Phillip jogs about a bit before deciding that he needs to investigate. His investigative instincts, honed at the police academy, suggest that there's nothing suggesting foul play. The distribution of the car-shaped lumps of snow suggests that at some point, maybe a mile or two from the city limits of Chicago and a bit less than that from you, some people decided that pulling over and walking would be faster than waiting in traffic (like rush hour) and decided  to do so (unlike rush hour); obviously, this made the jam worse and caused a, pardon the pun, snowballing effect. The band of cars is probably close to three miles thick, total, around here, but it might be less thick once you get away from the big freeways.
Heading back inside, Phillip flips on his radio--pretty much the only bit of his police gear he has right now. He freezes when he hears an automated message about a quarantine.

DERP.

Jessica eats breakfast while dialing her closest friend, Kaitlyn's, number.
Jessica shakes her head and decides she needs breakfast before worrying about this kind of crap. She dials Kaitlyn's cell number. Kait's pretty much the only other homeschooled kid Jessica knows well.
"Hey, Kait, 'sup?"
"Um, not too much...except that the University is quarantined for some reason."
"What?"
"Yeah, Mom was heading to pick up some last-minute eggnog for the Christmas celebration with Grandpa Dan, and he ran into a bunch of people in these weird suits setting up some sort of barricade. She says a police officer stopped her and said she had to go back. I can't believe it!"
"Ohmygod! Are you okay?"
"If I wasn't, that would be a bigger concern than the quarantine! George is throwing up, though." George is Kaitlyn's 8-year-old brother.
"Probably just a flu."
"Yeah, that's what Dad says. Well, um..."
There is an uncomfortable pause.

-----

There is 1 hour and 50 minutes left this turn. What do these five do?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:53 pm »

"Victor"
Walk back inside to see what they read and look around for a weapon and some form of armor
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:02:35 pm by mesor »

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »

Jessica says goodbye to Kaitlyn and decides to surf Youtube for a bit.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

Phillip A. listens to the message then attempts to contact a police dispatcher, or anyone else, on the radio.

((Suggestion to other players if I'm not around in time to officially enter the next action: Go to apartment to eat, get warm clothes, supplies, and a personal firearm if he has one. (Internal Affairs is holding his duty weapon due to backstory) ))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 05:43:35 pm »

Walk back inside to see what they read and look around for a weapon and some form of armor
Victor, I presume?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 06:01:59 pm »

Yup ops my bad forgot the name.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »

So quiet, it's like the entire town got evacuated. I don't like this, better ask around. But then again, I'd sooner jump off the roof than leave unarmed...

Eric Romani: Shuffle around apartment, look for stashed weapons. Try to find other people in the complex/neighborhood if possible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:32:23 pm by CrimsonEon »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:12 pm »

...Which leaves Robert.
Sig

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »

'Christ did this really have to happen now, probably some terrorist shit or something. Godammit.'

Robert heads out and begins to explore the rest of the campus. He also checks his own phone for any news updates.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:00:15 pm by Flintus10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »

"Victor"
Jaime shows Victor her smartphone. On its diminutive screen he read about how the US government is refusing to explain its orders to evacuate Chicago. He scrolled back up, and discovered  that Chicago was warned that if they did not leave by noon, today, they would be quarantined and probably die before the new year. The comments at the bottom of the page indicate that at least several thousand people are still in Chicago, most of which either can't or won't leave in part due to quarantine procedures going up and in part because of a "wall of abandoned vehicles" surrounding Chicago. There also seems to be a quarantine around the University to prevent people from being infected before they can escape.
He paused a moment after reading the article, then said, "Gretchen, Jaime, grab your stuff, see if you can find armor or weapons, and let's go. We've got until noon to get out, and we're burning the last hour and a half."
"We can't leave! Daren is trapped at the University!" Gretchen sputters.
"...Who's Daren?" Victor asked.
"He's...important to me."
Well, then.

Jessica says goodbye to Kaitlyn and decides to surf Youtube for a bit.
"Bye, Kait. Call me back if anything important happens."
"Sure."
Jessica hangs up, then heads to her laptop. [3] YouTube has the normal stuff, but Jessica notes a video titled, "The Truth about Chicago." She decides to watch it.
It seems to primarily be a nut ranting about how DARPA accidentally released some sort of mutagenic virus that would turn us all into monsters from the University of Chicago, and Ron Paul used his Freemason contacts to cover it up. He cites a few facts, including that Chicago will be completely quarantined by noon.
That leaves less than an hour and a half..."MOM!"

Phillip A. listens to the message then attempts to contact a police dispatcher, or anyone else, on the radio.

((Suggestion to other players if I'm not around in time to officially enter the next action: Go to apartment to eat, get warm clothes, supplies, and a personal firearm if he has one. (Internal Affairs is holding his duty weapon due to backstory) ))
Phillip freezes. The university is quarantined? What the hell? It's like a scene from a bad horror movie. And that makes him...what? The washed up jerk cop who gets killed an hour in, or the hidden-kindness cop who turns out to be innocent and makes a heroic sacrifice? No thanks. Phillip's thoughts along this line are interrupted when his messages are replied to.
"Hello. Phil, is that you?"
"Captain Samson? What's"
"Can you meet me at Lawrence and 60th? Charges will be dropped and you'll get triple-and-a-half time today." That's more than you get for normal hazard pay and holiday pay, put together.
"That is a very generous offer. I'll take it."
"Great. Grab your riot gear and stop by the white van before you get here. Let me know if you have issues."
Phillip is halfway to the station, walking much of the way thanks to the whole traffic jam issue, before he realizes just how fishy everything is...

So quiet, it's like the entire town got evacuated. I don't like this, better ask around. But then again, I'd sooner jump off the roof than leave unarmed...

Eric Romani: Shuffle around apartment, look for stashed weapons. Try to find other people in the complex/neighborhood if possible.
[4] Eric knocks on doors, truly disturbed. Most of the residents are off, presumably for work or last-minute shopping or early Christmas celebrations or something. However, he does find a couple of bachelors who were also disturbed, and a young family huddled around an old desktop Mac. That's everyone on this floor, but you don't get farther because the family explains everything that's been happening. Chicago quarantined, the streets clogged, public transportation abandoned by the drivers or leaving the city already in the case if some buses, etc. It's disturbing. Eric summarizes this info for the bachelors, then glances at a clock. Almost 11.

'Christ did this really have to happen now, probably some terrorist shit or something. Godammit.'

Robert heads out and begins to explore the rest of the campus. He also checks his own phone for any news updates.
Yup, the phone clearly indicates that the University is quarantined and that the whole city will be at noon! With a shriek, you run for the door, pausing only to apologize to those you awoke, the last sleepers, and to explain what you had read.
"Why wasn't this on the radio announcement?" Harold asks, but you and several other students are already bundling up and running for the door. There is a crowd gethering towards the west; rumors flash towards the increasing numbers of students that there's a weak spot in the barricades around the university there.

-----

My bad, there were 10 minutes less last action. There is now 1 hour and 15 minutes left this turn.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 08:24:20 pm »

"Victor"
Go to the storeroom and collect 3 sets of padded armor that is normally used for training and instruct the girls to put a set on each and put a set on myself.  Then go and collect wooden training weapons. Then begin heading for the university.

(( Didnt wanna make my move to long. ))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:27:08 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 08:26:07 pm »

What will Victor do about Daren?
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »

(( Updated. Didnt wanna make it to long. What happens when the time runs out? ))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »

What, at noon? Turn One ends, Chicago is quarantined, the game goes on.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 08:30:30 pm »

(( K wasnt sure ive played one or two before where the time ran out and everybody dropped dead on the spot if they hadnt made it to the safe zones.
Can i decide to ditch the girls if they become a pain?
But more importantly. Are they hot :P ))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10