Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Making a City Evacuate  (Read 7041 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Making a City Evacuate
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 08:28:00 am »

Nothing. Even a known threat which assures certain death will probably end up with 5% of the population staying behind. People are stubborn like that.
Always amazes me there's people who stay on Ocracoke and Hatteras when a hurricane is coming.
(For those not familiar, these are two of North Carolina's barrier islands -- basically overgrown sandbars that are 50 miles out in the ocean. With houses on them. And at least a handful of grizzled old coots who refuse to evacuate because their fathers never evacuated, and their fathers' fathers never evacuated, and so forth.)
It's going to be interesting watching what happens if Ocracoke and Hatteras sink beneath the waves for good in the upcoming century.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 08:28:00 am »

Nothing. Even a known threat which assures certain death will probably end up with 5% of the population staying behind. People are stubborn like that.
Always amazes me there's people who stay on Ocracoke and Hatteras when a hurricane is coming.
(For those not familiar, these are two of North Carolina's barrier islands -- basically overgrown sandbars that are 50 miles out in the ocean. With houses on them. And at least a handful of grizzled old coots who refuse to evacuate because their fathers never evacuated, and their fathers' fathers never evacuated, and so forth.)
If you think about it in another way... they are afraid to move elsewhere and/or really have no other place to go if their home goes down. 
For the old coots... they are like a ship's captain, they'll go down with their home before they'd go and ask for shelter in some whole new place.  Younger folk, yea, nowhere else to go mixed with some sort of pride to not be some sort of homeless squatter and/or fear of the unknown future elsewhere.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:13 am »

Well, the fact that people stayed and survived to procreate[1] suggests that it's not all doom, or at least not for the relevant prior occasions (This Time May VaryTM).

Anyway, what you need to have is some situation where not being in the city is easier and more convenient than staying.  This involves getting out.  (If you're pretty sure the roads are going to be clogged up, perhaps you'd rather prefer to risk it in your town-house...  But if you're a resident of a 'mobile' home park, on the outskirts, with your truck already gassed up and no elderly or infirm members of the family you need to manhandle (probably protesting) onto the garden chair in the flatbed, and there's nothing on telly[2], then you take a jaunt, way ahead of most of the urbanites that have just decided to flee from the inner environs.

Really, I'm stuck for something (not already mentioned) that'll get anywhere near a total evacuation.  Now, if Friendly Aliens (or Pretending-To-Be-Friendly-Aliens, who were the actual cause of the hypothetical disaster) were to offer to pluck every individual up with their combined Tractor Beams/Transporter Devices/Sky Hooks/whatever, and what's more offer to transport everyone to a replacement city, built so that everyone gets a fully equipped replica of their original home and an extra 50% floorspace/other improvement, and with the added benefit of magnificent views of whichever moons of Saturn are not the ones they are actually on, with all the appropriate environmental measures (and one or other easy transportation option available to visit their non-City families and friends almost as if nothing had happened), then maybe there'd be an uptake.

But, really, if something happened like that erroneous assumption that Cern would suck us all into a black hole of our own making, I'm betting there'd be plenty of people waiting around for a good view from the 'rim' of the expanding crater caused by the singularity's consumption of the Earth.  (I mean, you could go to the other side of the world, still ultimately get consumed and yet have had a rubbish view, all things considered.  Personally I could see myself setting up a chair and seeing what I could see, before that pesky Event Horizon obscured most of my view, or that pesky Spaghettification tore me apart, whichever came sooner.)  Albeit that this seems like an overkill disaster, given the OP's original presumptions.  (A provably 'localised' black-hole-consumption-effect might pursuade me to move to just beyond where the military set up their checkpoints to keep over-inquisitive people from outside out, and Invisible Warp Demons From Another Dimension in.)

(Ninjaed a bit, so put the quote at the top to qualify what I'm actually replying to.)

[1] Or at least survived to see their offspring, who also stayed and also procreated, unless we're talking about Pappy and Grandpappy not evacuating at the point last year when Junior (themselves beyond middle age) brought them over to the island for the first time.

[2] Apart from The Disaster.  Actually, that's probably the clincher.  "Hey, there I am!  There I am!  See that insignificant white spot in the middle of that trailer park, just slightly in front of the wave of destruction!  Let me open a window!  Hey, Maw!  Look!  I'm on teevee!"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 11:45:27 am »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

Hmmm... Something lethal is bound to cause at least some humans to be stoic, stubborn and ultimately say fuck you to death. So what about something universally annoying? Psychological warfare...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

Hmmm... Something lethal is bound to cause at least some humans to be stoic, stubborn and ultimately say fuck you to death. So what about something universally annoying? Psychological warfare...
Even then, some people wouldn't get it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 12:11:45 pm »

Even then, some people wouldn't get it.
Leaves room for random encounters <:£

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »

Of course. The only way to get an entire city to evacuate is by evacuating the entire city. (Ie, taking all the buildings and stuff with you.)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »

I suppose if a coastal town started sinking below sea level at a slow but noticeable rate, people would leave. Well, as long as the sections the levees are built on also continue to sink. Modern-day slow motion Atlantis!
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »

I suppose if a coastal town started sinking below sea level at a slow but noticeable rate, people would leave. Well, as long as the sections the levees are built on also continue to sink. Modern-day slow motion Atlantis!
Like Kiribati, the Maldives and Tuvalu? :(

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »

Those aren't coastal towns, those are islands. There's a different dynamic when you can only go a couple of miles in any direction without getting back to the coastline.

Poor, poor Maldives will be gone by 2025 at this rate. But they're a theocratic state so I don't feel too sorry for them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 12:43:37 pm »

You mean like New Orleans has been doing for the past 200 years?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »

Fast forward that...  cause over 200 years ain't gonna cut it.  People will just keep 'sandbagging' it to try to delay the inevitable even more.

I'd say... a 5-10 year timeline would get people moving.... not all of course... The people staying will just live in whatever high rise buildings left to em and use boats and ferries to get to work instead of cars/buses.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »

Three words. Do not read out loud.
Hastur, Hastur, Hastur.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »

You mean like New Orleans has been doing for the past 200 years?
Yes, but faster than the levees can be rebuilt.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5