Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Space Sandbox (Nov 21, 2012)  (Read 28887 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Sandbox (version Sep 14, 2012)
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 12:36:52 pm »

I mostly bomb the turrets.  You just drop your ships directly on it and it'll destroy it.

I'd also like to see more done with the inside of a planet.  Perhaps you can dig out the planet's core to produce metal, and armor-plate your ships so that they can withstand turret fire more easily?  Or the little cubes could build a tower out of metal instead of stacking themselves?  Later you could use iron to make large structures for your swarm, like a mothership, but that'd be later in development :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 01:10:44 pm »

90% of the time i cant remove the down arrows, causing all my ships to plummet to their de-aerilization.

E: nvm, its just because i'm stupid.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:14:33 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 01:14:39 pm »

I mostly bomb the turrets.  You just drop your ships directly on it and it'll destroy it.

I'd also like to see more done with the inside of a planet.  Perhaps you can dig out the planet's core to produce metal, and armor-plate your ships so that they can withstand turret fire more easily?  Or the little cubes could build a tower out of metal instead of stacking themselves?  Later you could use iron to make large structures for your swarm, like a mothership, but that'd be later in development :P

I dunno, that feels kind of against the theme, with them building stuff out of metal.  They're a fully organic army, that's rad.  Maybe geologic upheaval from sucking up all the oceans could create interesting new terrain, like lava pools and stuff, but you'd need a reason to go back to conquered planets in that case.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »

Well, my train of thought was that they're an exploitive species.  If there's a resource, then you take it.  Don't just stop at water!  There's plenty of fun minerals in planets!

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »

What kind of resources do you want? Name, where it will be, properties, bonus for swarm and etc.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »

I like this guy, hes very open for ideas.

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »

I like this guy, hes very open for ideas.

I make game of my dream, but I want make it interesting for other people. I have no a design document, I have no boss with money, i'm free for any interesting things :) so, I wait

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »

Well, as I've said, I'd like to exploit the planet itself, not just its biosphere but its hard materials.  Digging out metals and rocks could do plenty of thing.  Armor-plated swarm members or large constructions are obvious choices.  The construction could be on-planet, like you could build a bridge to cross a mountain, or you could build a rock thrower that would destroy enemy turrets from a safe distance.  Or the structures could become part of the swarm, like you could have a water collector that gathers water and lets you make +2 swarm ships instead of +1.

You can make your swarm bigger, or you can make the swarm better.  Give us upgrade things!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 05:58:49 pm »

I would strongly prefer if the swarm stayed organic. It would be one thing if they used some of the minerals in the planet to allow more powerful forms and ranged weaponry, but I don't think that using rocks or straight out mechanical weaponry really fits in with the theme.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »

Well, to be fair, there isn't much of a "theme" right now at all.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11:13 pm »

While I think the game could definitely use cleanup and quality of life fixes (Better planet generation, digging through mountains, and the like), right now it kind of has a 'pure' feel to it.  Remember KISS.  Don't get so caught up adding new stuff that it becomes unwieldy.
Shoes...

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

So far, so good, love the concept. Perhaps more human ground units, maybe when you take over a colony they come and investigate? I'd love perhaps burrowing or some wildlife. Keep up the great work!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 06:14:43 pm »

So far, so good, love the concept. Perhaps more human ground units, maybe when you take over a colony they come and investigate? I'd love perhaps burrowing or some wildlife. Keep up the great work! The english isn't really too much of a problem, as long as it gets the point across it's fine by me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 06:21:28 pm »

Oh, this looks very, very fun.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:44 pm »

Yeah, this is one of those where you shrug at it, but then you play it and you're like "holy crap why is this so fun?!"

I think the main draw is the interface.  Click and drag, click to land, click to build a water tentacle.  If you can keep the interface simple while adding more content, it'll be golden.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12