Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Space Sandbox (Nov 21, 2012)  (Read 28890 times)

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Sandbox (version Sep 14, 2012)
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 02:31:59 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 02:34:53 pm »

I like the concept but...once you've sucked one planet dry, it's more of the same.
Needs new challenges as you go.

Would be nice if the planets slowly transformed while you were gone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »

Transformed how though?  I mean, you're completely stripping away the biosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, I'm not sure it'd be possible for a planet to recover from something like that in any amount of time.  Then again, this is a video game.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »

Transformed how though?  I mean, you're completely stripping away the biosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, I'm not sure it'd be possible for a planet to recover from something like that in any amount of time.  Then again, this is a video game.

Transformed from your influence... so the planet turns into an infected planet over time.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 03:23:28 pm »

I'm not sure I like the black hole thing.  If it's done the way I'm guessing it'll be done, it'll be more like levels, or branching paths.  I feel like having systems isolated in a void (like planets are isolated in a void within systems) would allow for a better higher strategic game.  Plus, with a more open map and the ability to have multiple fleets moving at once you could recreate that legendary Tyranid look, with huge tendrils spreading through the sector and engulfing whole star systems.
A possibly better way is to have the swarm gather minerals from conquered planets, which can then be turned into some organic superweapon to blow up the star for the black hole, or the warp drive thingy. This allows you to leave difficult planets alone for a while, but not to long, as well as allowing you to come back on your steps to defeat them. Having some sort of jump gates/ systems allowing for easy travel between certain systems would add some strategy too.

I like the concept but...once you've sucked one planet dry, it's more of the same.
Needs new challenges as you go.
This can be done in a variety of ways.

Different planets: Either different sort of planets, or by the addition of booster. Can probably be combined.
-An Artic planet would have lots of water, but nearly no trees and the water would take longer to gather. Ships and swarm members spawned by water/trees from an iceplanet would be slower but stronger.
-A molten planet would have equally no trees and no water, but large amounts of minerals, which can be used in the construction of a variety of superweapons.
-A jungle planet has lots of trees and water, but the resulting swarm members are weaker and faster.
-A desert planet has nearly no trees or water, and the resulting swarm members are more dangerous.
-Moons are basically small planets, in orbit around a planet.
-Gas giants are large planets without surface. The swarm can try to gather water from the athmosphere, which is slow.
-An asteroid is a little smaller than a moon, and contains only some ice(hard to gather water) and minerals. Fully colonizing an asteroid before it crashes into the sun or something gives you a rather large but suicidal ship.

-Human reaction. Humans should try to expand their ground, gathering minerals to build ships, sometimes polluting water(weaker swarm members, slower gathering ?) and building new towers and units to annoy you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »

If we're already ripping off 40k we may as well take it all the way.  Once a planet is clearly lost maybe the humans start sending fast, stealthy killships to run the blockade and drop nukes and seismic torpedoes to try to destroy the planet before it's harvested.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »

If we're already ripping off 40k we may as well take it all the way.  Once a planet is clearly lost maybe the humans start sending fast, stealthy killships to run the blockade and drop nukes and seismic torpedoes to try to destroy the planet before it's harvested.

Well this game is sort of a sandbox

It isn't meant to be hard... at all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 03:43:32 pm »

Well this game is sort of a sandbox

It isn't meant to be hard... at all.
Besides, why bother sending ships. Kinetic projectiles are the way to go.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »

Also "Stealthy ship" is a mutual impossibility.  But that's a bit more hard scifi, and this game is most definitely soft.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »

Gameplay trumps realism when only one can be true.  That goes for both of those.  Sure, a railgun at .9c would sterilize the planet and be impossible to stop, but where's the fun in that?  They don't really have to be stealthy though, just fast enough to at least make an attempt at breaking through the blockade.
Shoes...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »

Gameplay trumps realism when only one can be true.  That goes for both of those.  Sure, a railgun at .9c would sterilize the planet and be impossible to stop, but where's the fun in that?  They don't really have to be stealthy though, just fast enough to at least make an attempt at breaking through the blockade.
You could have both, humans building cannons and defense sattelites around their planets, lobbing shells towards yours, while they send organized bomber squads to prevent the conversion.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »

Speaking of warhammer, maybe organic technology and rapid evolvement?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 04:22:39 pm »

Speaking of warhammer, maybe organic technology and rapid evolvement?

I should state I like the Space bridge. so I hope when there is organic technology that the creativity will still be there.

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 02:05:15 pm »

New version if you remember this game :) New graphic was added for human turrets and swarm ground units. Start count is in range between 2 and 15 in space.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87738393/SpaceSandbox.rar

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:22:11 pm by sfighrath »

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Sandbox (version Sep 20, 2012)
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 03:42:10 pm »

Did anybody try this version? Yesterday talked with the game painter. We decided that the game will have:
Swarm - one small ground unit and two or three big uniq creature at once, two unit type in space
Human - only big ships with halls for ship battles, battle satellites on planet orbit, infantry, tank, mobile rocket unit and nuclear missiles on planet surface.
Planet resources - water, oil and iron. First is for cloning, other two are for upgrade spec attack and defense.

And any more. The game have only one big thing to develop - big human ships and battles on its. Other features is small.

We prepare material for indiegogo.com and we glad to receive any help from you to extend information about our game in the Internet :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12