Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Space Sandbox (Nov 21, 2012)  (Read 28886 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Sandbox (version Sep 14, 2012)
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 07:08:01 pm »

I love the idea and simplicity of this game. Only suggestion I can think of is that you're not the only ones growing. The humans are growing, spreading, so forth. They could terraform and reclaim planets eventually. Once they grow strong enough, they construct ships of war and take the fight to you.

"Edit" "Towers/Tentacles" can only be built at the center of a side. Not sure if that's intended, a bug, or code limitation, but it'd be nice if I could build a tower on any piece of land on a "side"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:15:36 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 02:35:14 am »

Thank you for your comments. Have read they I want make-make-make the game :) ok, I'll fix some troubles in the game. It is very good that you like the interface. How do you think: does it need visual counters for ground and space units or you can fill count of swarm members?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:37:13 am by sfighrath »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 03:18:02 am »

I don't think it needs an ingame counter(The swarm doesn't care about exactly how much members they have), but a stats system might be nice(Ie, X units created, X units killed, stuff like that).

Multiple planet types might be nice(Moons, gas giants, Desert planets, lave planets, frozen planets, jungle planets), especially if they have an influence on the type of ships they produce when exploited. It would also be nice to be able to set up a permanent stronghold on some planets, especially when the humans learn to strike back.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 03:58:07 am »

My suggestions:

1. More then 4 or 5 planets, possibly infinite galaxy so you can keep playing.
2. Achievements, because achievements are awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 04:02:57 am »

Found a planet, 1 mountain, no turrets, lots of water and a few trees = epic meal time!

Edit: What is the difference between this and hardcore edition?

Edit2: Look at the awesomeness of water!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:06:32 am by Donuts »
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:11 am »

My suggestions:

1. More then 4 or 5 planets, possibly infinite galaxy so you can keep playing.
2. Achievements, because achievements are awesome.
Yup, maybe a solar system like layout, eventually with jumpgates to other systems

The ability to split up your fleet and attack multiple places at once would be nice too. Especially if you can then draw supply lines between different planets, were ships take resources from one planet to the other.(Ie, minerals that can be dug up from a planet, and that will cause the swarm to begin constructing a megaproject based on the composition of the fleet/ location of the project.)

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 04:56:39 am »

So, it is time to tell you about system like warp gates. Sun is source of energy in our system. When you destroy planets you distabilize sun. It collapse to black hole and you move into it. This is swarm moving type. Human will use a drive to piercing space between galaxies.

Hardcore edition - you start with two swarmlings in space. The game has no options for this yet.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 05:09:57 am »

So, it is time to tell you about system like warp gates. Sun is source of energy in our system. When you destroy planets you distabilize sun. It collapse to black hole and you move into it. This is swarm moving type. Human will use a drive to piercing space between galaxies.

Hardcore edition - you start with two swarmlings in space. The game has no options for this yet.
This makes no scientific sense whatsoever... but who cares!
It sounds awesome!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 05:15:01 am »

This makes no scientific sense whatsoever... but who cares!
It sounds awesome!

sig'd

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2012, 05:53:13 am »

Since the swarm is organic, ordinary metals like Iron would be of little use and making steel would be too difficult. Instead, certain rare minerals/chemicals would be used to improve Swarmies when they ingest it.

How about this:
Every planet has between 0 and 2 random boosters that improve space swarmers with armor/speed/damage/whatever.
These boosts can be as simple as mountains or planets with red/yellow/purple/green/etc. dots. The dots are harvested with a third button that makes the swarm mine that segment. Mountains are mined first, then the planet. This has the added advantage of letting you choose which mountains you want to flatten.
The minerals are fed to the space swarm using tentacles, just like water.
Initially, stacking could be disallowed, but later upgrading the same swarmy with different minerals could have interesting effects.

Then you would choose which planets to attack not only based on water/defence, but also based on which rare things they have.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:21:30 am by Rabid_Cog »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2012, 06:56:25 am »

They bounce!

As for the worms, i was imagining the entire swarm as made of this little cubes, so even the worms would be little cubes linked together.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2012, 11:51:06 am »

I'm not sure I like the black hole thing.  If it's done the way I'm guessing it'll be done, it'll be more like levels, or branching paths.  I feel like having systems isolated in a void (like planets are isolated in a void within systems) would allow for a better higher strategic game.  Plus, with a more open map and the ability to have multiple fleets moving at once you could recreate that legendary Tyranid look, with huge tendrils spreading through the sector and engulfing whole star systems.
Shoes...

sfighrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »

How about this: ...

This is very interesting. Cool :)

Plus, with a more open map and the ability to have multiple fleets moving at once you could recreate that legendary Tyranid look, with huge tendrils spreading through the sector and engulfing whole star systems.

I'll think about this too, it is nice idea :)

I'm happy for you help in the game development!

the ability to split the swarm into a few seperate groups

This will be in future version without doubt :)

They bounce!

As for the worms, i was imagining the entire swarm as made of this little cubes, so even the worms would be little cubes linked together.
cool :)
Do you want to paint animate prologue for the game?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

"mountains cannot be crossed, so they provide good cover"

I actually found mountains to be my greatest enemy.

So many planets could be sucked dry if it were not for them.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

I like the concept but...once you've sucked one planet dry, it's more of the same.
Needs new challenges as you go.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12