Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding FacePalm  (Read 897 times)

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Modding FacePalm
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:32:04 am »

Excited about the "I" inverting tiles, I modified my tileset so that the letters when inverted look like stone with a shadow of a letter on it.  I then decided which stones would be represented by which letter,  used ground and grass tiles for soil, and the inverted smoke,fog,stone textures for metal ores.  I changed all the values in stone*.txt and generated a new world.

I discovered that "I" does nothing in the raws, it only works in init files.  Walls still look good though except for loam sharing the same symbol for ground I can walk on!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=41DE55247A80BC8E!116&authkey=!ALYYrWUM7_svkLA
because DFFD wouldn't upload the file for some reason, Information about the tileset itself:

Credits - I used every tileset from everyone that allows modification of their tileset,  If it sounds impossible, I added every tileset as a layer in gimp resized, generated the optimum palette while they were still seperate layers, I then depth merged them all together to get a good idea of which graphical tiles i should put where(this was when I was still new at this).  I then modified the tiles one by one pixel by pixel, going with what seemed to be the most common use for each tile.  I used trees from 7x7 graphical tilesets arranged in patterns I knew how to make from making ultima clones. Over time I changed it for the newer feature of DF, but I kept some tiles that I liked,  ] - used to appear on my city maps I made it a building that matches up with two others to make a castle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:10:10 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Modding FacePalm
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:19:43 pm »

Currently your link requires a Microsoft account to access it. Consider using the Dwarf Fortress File Depot instead.

Also you might want to put your credits in spoiler tags (just highlight the credits and then click the nuclear symbol).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding FacePalm
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:22 pm »

Thanks for the input, I spoilered the credits. DFFD wouldn't upload it earlier, but it did now.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6912
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"