Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proper method to reroute a river/stream?  (Read 3506 times)

hexatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proper method to reroute a river/stream?
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:39:23 am »

So I had the desire to alter the flow of a river/stream by channeling an area out and dropping it a few z levels and bring it straight threw my fort. I have a couple of questions

1. I read that I can carve fortifications on the map edge to let the water out, is this accurate? If not can I dump that sucker into the caverns or magma sea without repercussions?

2. How bad of an impact will this have on my FPS? I have a rather beastly rig but I know water can be a pain. Will the effect be greater than a natural river/stream or about the same? (running a phenom x4 3.20GHZ if that helps estimate the damage).

3. How much of a security risk will it cause having a river flowing threw my lower fort levels? Any suggestions to alleviate this?

4.Will there be fish?

hexatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proper method to reroute a river/stream?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:43:07 am »

Ah crap wrong section, can someone move this to questions as I am an idiot.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:40 am »

1. Yes. And don't dump it into the magma sea or the caverns unless you want the game to keep spamming cave-in messages from the falling obsidian or slow to a halt as the caverns fill with water.

2. I don't think it will make a huge difference as long as you aren't increasing the amount of water. Water dropping from one z-level to the next can lag weak machines a little bit.

3. Depends entirely on how you implement it.

4. I'm 99% sure that there will be fish.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:08:40 am »

Watch out for Forgotten Beast Mcfish or Mr.  Mcbuilding Destroyer the Alligator busting into your fort.  And I know you can place a grate on the floor that will actually catch the fish on the grate when you make a waterfall.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hexatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:44 am »

Thank you for the replies, I shall endeavor to bring a river threw my home. And fortify properly to avoid death by forgotten aquatic doombringers....or maybe let them in for some "FUN!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm »

1) Carving fortifications works, though only on stone levels.
2) Assuming you completely divert it, blocking off the old exit tiles with the same number of new exit tiles as old ones? Minimal, at least once the project is complete. You will get a fair amount of lag while the old riverbed drains and the new one fills up, but once it is completed then it will have only slightly more FPS impact then the river does currently.

Ah crap wrong section, can someone move this to questions as I am an idiot.
As the OP you can move your posts. Simply scroll down to the very bottom of the page and the option should be in the corner.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hexatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

Tyvm i2amroy!, I was not aware of that forum feature and never would of found it myself!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »

2. How bad of an impact will this have on my FPS? I have a rather beastly rig but I know water can be a pain. Will the effect be greater than a natural river/stream or about the same? (running a phenom x4 3.20GHZ if that helps estimate the damage).
As long as you have flowing water, there will be lag, If you simply dam the river, the lag will go away.

4.Will there be fish?
There will not be fish, since your redirected river would no longer be part of the "river" map feature (which is how it knows to get fish instead of turtles). You will, however, get turtles, along with anything else you would normally get from a murky pool.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »

If you flowing your river through your fort lower levels, just be careful of pressure.