Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 114130 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #330 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:16 pm »

oh then you have to be talking about the [REDACTED] Team [REDACTED][REDACTED]

Maybe.  There's more than one, apparently, and with that replacement censor, I can't tell which one you are talking about.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 17, 2013, 10:12:43 pm »

So here's the thing:

I'd tried running a worldgen with increased quantities of blueberry metal and that certain other spoilery stuff, trying to see if the humans would ever learn to mine or use it after observing the other deep races. I'd set it to open ended, so it would keep running until whenever, but I had to stop it at around 4000 years or so. In the space of about 12 years, an entire desert and the mountains surrounding it hard turned into a single, gigantic orange blob on the map. The cursor on the gen screen wasn't telling me anything meaningful about it, so I'd wanted to take a look in legends mode.

Well, I had pasted several of the good old forum anectdotes from waaaaaaaaay back when into the Mythology gen file, and as it turns out, some dwarf had a sudden burst of inspiration after hearing an old fairy tale. I think it must have been based on the old "dwarven calculator" one. Anyway, it wasn't just a mood, legends says it was one of those "megaproject" secret goals. He started up a mining company to build materials, and after mastering mechanics went on to impress several of the local leaders with his craftsmanship. Eventually he had control of the entire empire through his popularity and influence, and then he started actually building the thing.

Basically, he turned the entire civ into a giant team of hardcore miners. I even saw some of those giant clockwork excavators that Jimm04 had in his world (the one that got worshipped by kobolds after the dwarves disappeared, not the one that the goblins tried to make). They basically turned several mountains inside out to get at the big spoilerite motherlodes, before digging them into absolute craters to get at all the blueberry veins below. I assume that one incident with the other Dwarven kingdom a few centuries back forewarned them of the HFS.

So, with the massive piles of this awesome stuff, he started building a big-old clockwork computer. He'd apparently worked out that the physical properties of these materials would allow the clockwork to keep consistent data across such large distances. There was a test thing built under his old hometown, and once it worked he just kept expanding it. 15 years later, it's huge enough to blot out an entire region of the world view screen. Just going on some rough calculations from the clockwork logic table posted a while back, it must have had RAM comparable to my old laptop.

But that's not the real kicker. What did he need all that computational power for? Well, as it turns out, his civ's religion had a yoga-esque bent, i.e. "Entire cosmos exists inside your body as your body exists inside the cosmos". It was a giant temple to recursion. He was running a simulation of the world. But since he couldn't research everything about the world and put it in, he'd built it to take some rules about how the world works and then extrapolate a fascimile of the real world from that, then run the simulated world. In other words, it was doing worldgen. Dwarf Fortress created a Dwarf that created Dwarf Fortress, from within Dwarf Fortress.

Do you think if I let the world run for long enough, there'll be a Dwarf in that Dwarf Fortress that will do the same thing?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2013, 10:22:52 pm »

You'd probably have to occasionally update the computing power of your device, but definitely.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:20 pm »

I was building a mgaproject code-named Shadow Whirlwind, but 3 dwarves made a deal witgh kobolds to steal it. so now the kobolds have giant robots and a bunch of other tech from reverse- engineering it, and so do the goblins. Those things are near undefeatable, so I'm making giant monsters code-named Iron Armok.
Any advice?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2013, 03:35:52 pm »

Lava and magnets.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »

The monsters are GMed clones. But I can make them burn everything they touch.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:40 pm »

Alright, I let the world run a bit longer. Turns out the guy had some parameters wrong, so the world he simulated on his godputer thing turned out differently than the one he was in. He was gonna destroy it and start over, since it was supposed to be a perfect recursion and thus this one was blasphemous, but through their own clockpunk comp, the denizens of his simulation ran a simulation identical to his world, and, learning their universe was going to be destroyed, opened a portal to the Night Troll realm to evacuate.

Then I found out something very, very interesting about the Night Creature plane: it links to all layers of the world. Yes, you heard me. After getting killed by the thousands, the remaining population of the simulation become hardened badasses, and managed to hold a settlement in the Night plane long enough to build an exit portal, through which they escaped into their creators' layer of reality. The 'real world' dwarves attacked them, considering them "abominations unto their doctrine", but the simulate-escapees won.

Now here's where it gets trippy, and, in my opinion, probably buggy. They decided to restart the giant clockputer which spawned them, but as the parameters were hard coded due to it being purely mechanical, it generated the same world over again, with the same history. Once the new simulation reached the point where their computer showed the creator trying to kill them, they fled again. The Night plane had been noticeably affected by the journey of their predecessors (what with all the fortifications and dead bogeymen), though, so they had an easier time getting through, and escaped through the same portal the others left behind. They emerged to find older duplicates of themselves, and said original copies were reunited with copies of their comrades who died the first time around. Very touching, but holy shit, I think we've just discovered the secret to time travel in this game.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2013, 05:04:54 pm »

Alright, I let the world run a bit longer. Turns out the guy had some parameters wrong, so the world he simulated on his godputer thing turned out differently than the one he was in. He was gonna destroy it and start over, since it was supposed to be a perfect recursion and thus this one was blasphemous, but through their own clockpunk comp, the denizens of his simulation ran a simulation identical to his world, and, learning their universe was going to be destroyed, opened a portal to the Night Troll realm to evacuate.

Then I found out something very, very interesting about the Night Creature plane: it links to all layers of the world. Yes, you heard me. After getting killed by the thousands, the remaining population of the simulation become hardened badasses, and managed to hold a settlement in the Night plane long enough to build an exit portal, through which they escaped into their creators' layer of reality. The 'real world' dwarves attacked them, considering them "abominations unto their doctrine", but the simulate-escapees won.

Now here's where it gets trippy, and, in my opinion, probably buggy. They decided to restart the giant clockputer which spawned them, but as the parameters were hard coded due to it being purely mechanical, it generated the same world over again, with the same history. Once the new simulation reached the point where their computer showed the creator trying to kill them, they fled again. The Night plane had been noticeably affected by the journey of their predecessors (what with all the fortifications and dead bogeymen), though, so they had an easier time getting through, and escaped through the same portal the others left behind. They emerged to find older duplicates of themselves, and said original copies were reunited with copies of their comrades who died the first time around. Very touching, but holy shit, I think we've just discovered the secret to time travel in this game.
Now lets see if they can escape to our world.
Crack-a-lack-a

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »

(Un)Fortunately, it seems that our Universe does not have the Night plane. Perhaps if some kind of subspace existed here, and you tweaked the raws a bit to give add it to the game.... Needs testing. Someone should probably mention it on the bug tracker, but I'm too lazy.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2013, 07:38:13 pm »

I wonder how long it'll take them to realize that they have access to the source code of that simulation, and can run it a third time, pause it just before the third copies of them leave, and hex-edit them to have infinite stats and be immortal.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:38 pm »

I dunno, the clockwork logic means it's pretty much hardcoded unless they figure out how to rebuild it. Maybe if I started a fort in the right place...

Wait, damn. They killed all the Dwarves *facepalm* Maybe I can do the "retired adventurer tribe" trick?

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 19, 2013, 12:17:49 am »

I dunno, the clockwork logic means it's pretty much hardcoded unless they figure out how to rebuild it. Maybe if I started a fort in the right place...

Wait, damn. They killed all the Dwarves *facepalm* Maybe I can do the "retired adventurer tribe" trick?
Seems decent, lets hope it works.
Crack-a-lack-a

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 31, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »

I can't believe none of you were ever stationed in the Minecraft States. It was hell. The Church of Notch had just secured its power when word spread of the rising tensions, so Jeb was able to harness his intense popularity with the Modding Guilds and legislate his way out of exile. With some good propaganda, he was able to sway another chunk of the population to his side. With the superior coders on his side, he was able to wreak havoc on the Notch's Crusaders. After a month of fighting, Toady publically announced his support for the Notchists, and then sent troops to support our new ally. Our troops had the advantage, being even better than Minecrafters at fighting in a poorly-rendered environment and having no need for light. The beginning of the end was when we realized that the Minecrafters just left magma lying around, using it for lighting and fuel. We quickly requisitioned a Necro910-class orbital magma cannon, and that was that. They're still scraping bits of melted Jeb off the floor, from what I heard.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 31, 2013, 06:54:36 pm »

I'm glad I wasn't stationed there. I liked them both. I still think that Toady should have kept out of it. It was not our fight.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 31, 2013, 07:10:29 pm »

I'm glad I wasn't stationed there. I liked them both. I still think that Toady should have kept out of it. It was not our fight.

Actually, wasn't that the imposter of Toady that EA had planted?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48