Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mysterious embark  (Read 1243 times)

sadpickle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mysterious embark
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:48:46 pm »

Hi everyone. I've just started to get into DF, I've been at it about 2 weeks now. I've rolled a lot of worlds, looking for good align temperate forests to no avail. The world I'm in right now has no aquifers so I can give the wetlands biome a try. Medium size, 125 year history.

I embarked in a 4x4 marshy area and started digging into the nearest hill. First thing I noticed was about 8 goblins and a leader, a large ambush or small siege worth. They were friendly and just hung out near the entrance. This bothered me but I figured, maybe FUN will ensue. Near them were a few bags and a chest, the containers and contents being of high quality and decorated. Coins of gold, silver and copper, forged by 2 different human blacksmiths, from different civs. Minted 60 and 80 years ago respectively. I claim them and my dwarves take the items inside. The goblins tell me nothing.

First year uneventful, dwarven caravan comes by, goblins hang out with the merchants while I trade. As we enter second year, more caravans come. My goblin pals pay no mind to the elves, but they slaughter the human caravan with impudence. I take the spoils, which they care not for, and ponder their motives.

It's now late spring, third year. An ambush by the river. My people flee in terror, and I order them into the base and behind the bridge. The ambushers run about and slaughter the most panicked dwarves. As they make their way towards the hillside entrance, I notice something. They are being engaged, but I have practically no military. Why, It's my goblin pals, come to same the day  8)

The ambushers are sent packing. 8 dwarves lay dead, but were it not for the strange goblin neighbors I've made, many more could be, and we would be walled in for some time. I have no idea what the goblins are doing here, or why they like me. In the civ menu, the 5 common races are all present. Everyone is at peace as far as I can tell. I haven't checked Legends regarding the human-forged coins and their history; it's something to do when this fortress crumbles.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious embark
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:59:34 pm »

Nice. You have embarked on a bandit camp. Apparently the bandit group is at war with the human and goblin civs, bandit groups are outcasts and not part of a civ themselves.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:53:33 am »

Run legends and check it out. I am interested to hear how this works out.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

sadpickle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:16:48 am »

Run legends and check it out. I am interested to hear how this works out.

There's not much of note unfortunately. The coins are from small human settlements that didn't see a lot of action. One of the coins has an image of a human noble who ruled for 10 years, only to be cursed as a bull-like monster. The rest of the images are mundane scenes of settlement and various sigils.

Eventually my goblin pals fell to the twin calamities of a fire-breathing sauropod titan and a goblin seige. The titan fight was brutal, with all but the goblin commander perishing in the flames. The titan was bitterly wounded by the time he reached the commander, and was dispatched with many brutal strikes from the goblin's sword. This same commander stuck around to slay some more goblins during the siege. One invader rode a voracious cave crawler, which made short work of my final goblin friend. All I know about him is he was one of the first of his kind.

My dwarves poured out a barrel for my late goblin chums, then used it for another brew. One of my dwarves, apparently inspired by all the madness, made a gabbro crown worth 100k. A scorpion FB is swimming around in the first cavern layer. Now we're just waiting out the siege and getting cave adapted. I need to get a military going, what with all this free loot and no more pro bono bodyguards.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:42:51 am »

Ah, thats a shame.

I'd see if I could get to an older save and rescue the goblin commander.

After that I would stick him in a danger room, max out his levels and skills, and then see if you could df hack him into your civ.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:22:13 am »

Ah, thats a shame.

I'd see if I could get to an older save and rescue the goblin commander.

After that I would stick him in a danger room, max out his levels and skills, and then see if you could df hack him into your civ.

"Hey thanks so much for your help saving my little group from certain death countless times, let me repay you by putting you in a room designed solely to hit you repeatedly with blunted wood spears! It won't be utterly tortuous hell, no it'll be FUN"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.