Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best way to get rid of flying sentients?  (Read 2177 times)

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to get rid of flying sentients?
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »

So I started a shiny new fortress in a two biome 4x4, I believe it's deciduous tropical forest and tropical shrubland, both untamed wilds.  So naturally I was expecting giant animals, maybe a rhino or elephant or something but instead all I've gotten is giant birds, giant bugs, bird people and bug people.  Oh and goblins of course.  I'm still very much enjoying the fortress 11 years in despite the obnoxious bird/bug people but I'd like to make this easier on myself.

So I have two questions, first off what did I do wrong in selecting my biome?  Is it TOO savage?

Second, what's the easiest way get rid of these stupid flying sentients?  I can't butcher them, I can't pit them, I can't dump them in magma (they just fly around in the "Open space" tiles).  Since I have over a hundred of these things left even after slaughtering dozens of them ad hoc and some of them getting loose I would like a way that involves as little chance of escape and as little micromanagement as possible.

Thanks

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get rid of flying sentients?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »

Training. Make sure you're releasing them into an enclosed space, e.g. inside, and they're as easy to kill as a goblin--easier, because they're not soldiers or armed. That means they are learning, pardon the pun, on the fly how to kick, bite, and scratch your armored dwarves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40:30 pm »

Marksdwarf squads, marksdwarf squads everywhere.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:38:32 am »

What do you mean you 'have' a lot of them?
Like flying around on your map, or you have caged them?

Just the luck of the draw on how the surroundings are.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Surroundings
You can research what animals you want by the wiki or looking at the raws and figuring out what areas they live in.

Again, not sure what you mean, but if you want to kill them while flying? Marksdwarfs while in cage? release them in room w/ atom smasher. poor lava on them in cage. release them in a room filled w/ water and drown them. Tons of ways to kill in dwarf fortress.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:03:59 pm »

What do you mean you 'have' a lot of them?
Like flying around on your map, or you have caged them?

Just the luck of the draw on how the surroundings are.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Surroundings
You can research what animals you want by the wiki or looking at the raws and figuring out what areas they live in.

Again, not sure what you mean, but if you want to kill them while flying? Marksdwarfs while in cage? release them in room w/ atom smasher. poor lava on them in cage. release them in a room filled w/ water and drown them. Tons of ways to kill in dwarf fortress.

Yes, sorry I was unclear, I have hundreds of them caged and get about 30 more every hour.  Magma/water will work on caged critters?  Built ones or loose ones?

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »

Can't you just release them in a trap-filled corridor? The weapon-traps being masterwork steel serated disks of course.
Anyway, I think that atom smashing them would work.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 01:12:14 pm »

Well one... quite making cage traps.  :o

Tons of options! Only one that won't work is building the cage, and putting water on it... they somehow survive inside a cage. But if you linked the cage and pulled the lever, that SHOULD work. As long as they can't swim somewhere and fly away. Dump magma on the cage should work, as it would melt/burn. Unless it's a magma-safe cage.

Tons of ideas man! As long as it's only a one z-level room they are in, their flying is negated and they're just regular Joe animal.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:38:02 pm »

I normally just pit junk creatures I don't want into a 1x1 room with an iron spike trap in it. Put a tightly shut hatch in the ceiling so flyers can't get out. Then I pull the lever a few times. You may have a bit of a clean up job on your hands at the end, though...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:39:34 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:32:55 pm »

Build the cages and link them to a lever. Release them in your barracks, behind closed doors. Military xp :)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 06:34:34 pm »

So I started a shiny new fortress in a two biome 4x4, I believe it's deciduous tropical forest and tropical shrubland, both untamed wilds.  So naturally I was expecting giant animals, maybe a rhino or elephant or something but instead all I've gotten is giant birds, giant bugs, bird people and bug people.  Oh and goblins of course.  I'm still very much enjoying the fortress 11 years in despite the obnoxious bird/bug people but I'd like to make this easier on myself.

So I have two questions, first off what did I do wrong in selecting my biome?  Is it TOO savage?

Second, what's the easiest way get rid of these stupid flying sentients?  I can't butcher them, I can't pit them, I can't dump them in magma (they just fly around in the "Open space" tiles).  Since I have over a hundred of these things left even after slaughtering dozens of them ad hoc and some of them getting loose I would like a way that involves as little chance of escape and as little micromanagement as possible.

Thanks
So familiar. Sam rpoblem where I am. Nothing but birds and giant bugs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

Best way to get rid of fliers? GRAVITY!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »

I just figured out that you can pit fliers through forbidden hatches.  Problem solved :D

Thanks everyone

(still would like to hear from someone who knows why my biome is all bug people though)

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »

I've also found that all I ever find are giant bugs and animal creatures. I've seen GDS once, and never seen my favorite giant tiger or giant lions since the new release on valentines day. I'm going to try embarking on none savage areas in the hopes of having useful nonsavage animals come through that also never show up in savage areas, and just rely on elves to bring me savage creatures.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:27 pm »

Fill the very top two z levels with magma and water, use floodgates and bridges to make yourself an orbital bombardment system, and see how well you can predict their flight patterns.

That or put them in a closed room with fortifications and let your marksdwarves at 'em.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »

I'm considerring modding out the above-ground animal peoples. They don't do anything but be there instead of more interesting/ useful animals. Jumping Spider men have no utility whatsoever in my fortresses.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: [1] 2