Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for unique volcano embark  (Read 1371 times)

dominusnovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas for unique volcano embark
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »

I'm sure its not *that* unique, but its still cool: I just started an embark site where the volcano doesn't quite reach the surface; its a pit straight from the surrounding flatlands down a couple z-levels to the magma.  I want to do something cool, but I haven't decided what, just yet.  Any ideas?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for unique volcano embark
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:04:08 pm »

Colonize a pipe running down the shaft.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »

Close it off to the outside world, incorporating it directly into your for entrance way.  Build floors over it to use magma-tools.  Cool stuff.  I'd be in the same mindset.  "I have to do something cool... but what?"
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »

Make every room in your fortress surrounded by magma trenches instead of walls. Protip: Magma does not pressurise.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

Make every room in your fortress surrounded by magma trenches instead of walls. Protip: Magma does not pressurise.

This... IS GENIUS!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »

This... IS GENIUS!
Right up until a single group of goblin crossbowmen show up and murder everyone. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:11 pm »

Dome it in clear glass. Seal the outside away. Call it the Biodome. Throw Pauly Shore into the volcano.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:54:15 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 07:56:32 pm »

This... IS GENIUS!
Right up until a single group of goblin crossbowmen show up and murder everyone. :P
If you,re clever, you don't open the ceiling up, so there's a limited arc of ire. Or you could build a wall around the volcano...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:17 pm »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:09 pm »

Learn to farm obsidian.

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »

Whatever you do make sure there are no fire imps close to the surface while your mason's are working their magic. Bridges etc will collapse explosively if struck while being built
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:35:29 pm »

Here's my most recent in prog just for you:

http://imgur.com/ILaRY,Bfsmz#0

http://imgur.com/ILaRY,Bfsmz#1
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40:11 pm »

Build a temple to the gods over the volcano's mouth, bonus points if the floor is clear glass. Have the center "altar" be a hole in the floor down to the fiery maw. Capture enemies, and sacrifice them by casting them into the blood of Armok.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.