Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dispatching Swimming Crossbowmen  (Read 364 times)

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dispatching Swimming Crossbowmen
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »

I was constructing a new wing of my exterior fortress, when AMBUSH!  Curse Them!

My legendary speardwarf immediatly set off, went over a small waterfall, and drowned.  I got everyone else inside to deal with the weapon crews that were approaching from the north (oh finally, axemen that can FIGHT!)  So, the speardwarf is a lost cause.  But three of the goblins went over the edge with them, and they appear to be swimming just fine-- but are completely incapable of going anywhere.  They don't seem to be drowning, anyhow, and no carp appear to be trying to eat them.

I just got my own marksdwarves activated, and I'm not keen on sending them out to try to pick them off *(i have NO hope that they won't drown themselves instantly)*.  I also don't want to drown my finally trained military, as they're so cute in their steel leggings.

Any suggestions for how to deal with this problem?  I suppose I can build a hanging tower and try to collapse it on them, but my own fort constructions are taking forever because everyone stopped hauling blocks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Dispatching Swimming Crossbowmen
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »

Build a floor or bridge over the last few tiles of the river before the waterfall and your dwarves should stop going cliff diving. (Bridges work best since they only risk one dwarf and only require access from one side to make.) Then it should be completely safe to send marks dwarves over there to shoot the goblins.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:40:02 pm »

Drain the river into an aquifer or cavern, then have an epic battle in the riverbed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »

Decent marksdwarves with plenty of bolts should kill them. Just use the station command rather than the kill command.
Or if you are worried about them running over the waterfall when they run out of ammo. Build them a pill box first and put them in that.