Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SPOILERS! Fighting the Circus  (Read 3508 times)

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILERS! Fighting the Circus
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 03:59:31 pm »

The main question for me though is, do retractable bridges hold liquids?
Like, if built in a shaft, like some kind of retractable bridge-hatch, to pour hot liquids on it from above?
Then release it down the clown-access shaft?
Then release the retractable bridge above the first one, with cold liquids?

Then release the bridge the two liquids mixed on, and have the solified mass accelerate towards the bottom of the shaft where the clowns are trapped between drawbridges?

yeah, any bridge/door/hatch/floodgate is perfectly watertight.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »

Note that clowns are unaffected by water or magma, and might evaporate the former...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »

Also note that many clowns are flying building destroyers, so drawbridges won't trap them.  (Unless you can get the bridge on a different z level than the demons)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 05:04:21 pm »

I'm strongly considering dropping a 10x10 or so piston about 20 z-levels tall over the candy tube (large enough to cover the full extent of the meandering of the tube).  After discovering the tube (via smoothing and fortifying) I'll lop off the top layers above the end of the tube and drop the piston which will collapse the floor (and some of the parts of the piston may collapse through several z-levels).

Then I'll mine off all layers that are filled until I have a floor over tube and then drop the piston again.

Eventually I'll reach a point where I can't continue with that strategy due to magma sea.  But if it is straight enough, it'll drop the piston, or at least part of it, all the way to the floor of the circus tent, ready for me to mine a staircase down my new main tent pole in the bigtop.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:10 pm »

Note that clowns are unaffected by water or magma, and might evaporate the former...

Im playing with the idea of mixing water with magma on a bridge, then drop a 10x10 obsidion slab downwards to simply shatter them (and anything that currently hovers under the bridge).
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:17:13 pm »

Also note that many clowns are flying building destroyers, so drawbridges won't trap them.  (Unless you can get the bridge on a different z level than the demons)
All are. No building destroyers will smash bridges.

Im playing with the idea of mixing water with magma on a bridge, then drop a 10x10 obsidion slab downwards to simply shatter them (and anything that currently hovers under the bridge).
I don't think that work. For starters, the obsidian would probably be supported...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:08 pm »

How well do poisons, venoms, and evil weather effect clowns? I have 2 deadly blood, 1 poisonous gas, 1 noxious vapors FB on my map awaiting capture and testing for lethallity. Also, my evil weather makes everything bleed to death instantly. My current plan is to open a path to the surface, then sit in my fort till the weather kills everything.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

Each affects them as well as another. Toss a stone or metal FB down, see what happens.
Sig

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »

Will do. Looks like a job for Emxa Onzom! An enormous quadruped composed of gold opal. It has a broad shell and undulates rhythmically. Beware its deadly spittle!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »

Demons are immune to syndromes just the same as FB's and titans are.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 07:57:14 pm »

Wait, FBs and titans are immune to syndromes?
Sig

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »

Wait, FBs and titans are immune to syndromes?
Unless you modded something in then yeah. It's because all of the syndromes in vanilla DF target [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON], and none of the procedurally generated creatures (such as FB's, titans, and demons), have [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON].
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:58 pm »

My dreams, you are crushing them.

Urist! Stop digging immediately!

Urist?

Oh. Hmm.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 01:20:42 am »

Unless you modded something in then yeah. It's because all of the syndromes in vanilla DF target [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON], and none of the procedurally generated creatures (such as FB's, titans, and demons), have [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON].
Objection!
The FB with poisonous vapors is ROTTING, but only his feet. I kid you not.
Not gore. Their bodys -apart from the ruptures from the blood leaving- are completely intact :) so in the case of the forgotten beast i shot with these things before i knew they carried the dust on them, it made it bleed out through the legs and abdomen -several ichor pools made by spurting forgotten beast ichor- and i was able to butcher it for 253 meat, which is perfectly safe to eat ^^
The Dust has so far shown a 100% fatality rate for anything with blood/ichor.
Number of forgotten beasts killed via VD bolt: 4
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 01:29:10 am »

Demons are immune to syndromes just the same as FB's and titans are.

I'm not convinced FBs are totally syndrome-immune. In one fortress, I had an FB fall asleep in the caverns after swimming through a pool of a different FB's extract. In the same fortress, I had two FB's, one with poison gas, attacking the same artifact door, and the other one eventually dropped dead, no dwarves or other creatures in sight. Maybe they're only immune to certain methods of infection?
Pages: 1 [2] 3