Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Top Hat  (Read 2559 times)

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
The Top Hat
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Construction:
The top hat functions as a method of releasing an infinite number of minecarts at specific time intervals, or very, very fast. It consists of a three by three (3x3) tower, with a hollow one by one center, and no roof. At the base, there are two sections of wall missing. Track and rollers are placed at the center of the base of the tower, extending out from one of the holes. This goes to whatever device you wish to feed with minecarts. The rollers are powered though the other hole. They are connected to either a lever, if you want all the minecarts to go spewing out at once, or a short duration, longer interval1, repeater, if you wish to send out one minecart at a regular time interval.

Loading:
Minecarts are fed into the top hat by either a normal dump zone, or a minecart auto-dump set to accept mincarts. If this is to feed a shotgun, have a 2 tile loading track, set for your desired items, and to push when full, which ends over the open top of the top hat. Then assign a new minecart and start the process over. However you get them in there, the minecarts must be dumped in from the top to load and stack properly.

Refilling:
The minecarts could be collected after being used, and sent back up, and even loaded, via powered spiral ramp. However, if you are always in need of more minecarts, you could put a forge up there, set on repeat. You could also just used dwarven haulers.

Thoughts? Improvements? Uses? All are welcome.

1Meaning that the power is only turned on for a short time, and there is a longer time between those "on-times".
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Top Hat
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:42 pm »

Interesting. ( BTW, what graphics pack is that? xD)

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:01:56 am »

Mayday.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:16 am »

You could use this as the first fully automatic dwarven siege weapon!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:57 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114654.0

Not quite the first...

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:44 am »

Using a vertical shaft to stack minecarts to be rapidly fired was proposed before in this thread to "pump" magma nearly as fast as a traditional pump stack.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:32 am »

Not to mention a simple quantum stockpile + legendary operator = the first fully automatic dwarven siege weapon :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 04:22:31 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114654.0

Not quite the first...
The first that makes sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:42 pm »

Makes sense on how to build or how it would work IRL?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »

Irl
Sig

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:03:27 pm »

By irl you mean in-game, right, because I'm pretty sure that I can't store an infinite number of objects in a constrained space.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »

You could, however, make a conveyer beltey thing moving mine arts at high speed, and add a wall to make only one go at a time, and then stack several mine arts on top of each other.
Sig

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »

Irl

Well, the watergun would essentially act like firehoses IRL, except the delivery method is slightly different.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »

By irl you mean in-game, right, because I'm pretty sure that I can't store an infinite number of objects in a constrained space.
You can, but it tends to collapse in on itself and start drawing other things into the singularity...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »

Irl
Well, the watergun would essentially act like firehoses IRL, except the delivery method is slightly different.
The method used would just create a big pool of water and maybe knock you over, not strike you like a liquid boulder.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2