Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: X3: Terran Conflict - time for modding!  (Read 16905 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: X3: Terran Conflict - for those in the know
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »

Cheat collection package, NPC bailing addon, Salvage claim software, and salvage commands and NPCs.  What other fun mods?  Might go for that SETA extension, as mentioned previously.  Something to encourage invasions and large combat is always fun too.  I like the "Arena" mod for Reunion, it would add randomly timed battles between two factions, where you could show up and help whatever side, but it had some bugs and after ~6 battles it would just stop working.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: X3: Terran Conflict - time for modding!
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »

I really need to get around to installing this game and trying it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 11:39:33 pm »

I recall being pleased with MARS... I think that was the name anyway. It made fighter drones smart and gave them a little tractor beam for retrieving stray ammo. Oh, and it made huge volleys of slow missiles completely useless, because the fighter drones acted as excellent missile defense.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 12:00:57 am »

Yeah, MARS is the name, and some/many players complain that it actually becomes too easy, and renders everything lower than M6 obsolete and makes the capital combat hilariously overpowered, effectively making missile frigates impossible and making any attack by a fighter into a 3 second rush of death.

Although I do like the drones bit...

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 07:50:21 am »

If you're having performance issues, there are three mods you should really look into.

"Low-poly asteroids"

If you're taking a significant frame rate drop in the asteroid field, this one is a no-brainer.  It's also pretty much compatible with everything.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=176980

"Unleashed"

THIS is the most powerful way to make X3 run better.  X3 is very CPU intensive as it simulates an entire universe of space ships flying around.  Annoyingly, many of these spaceships are tiny little "civilian" shuttle-type craft.  Aesthetically awesome, after you first few hours of the game, you'll come to hate them as you repeatedly get stuck in traffic, have to wait for a free docking port, or accidentally run one over.  Once you install this mod and realize that they were costing a whopping 38% performance hit, you won't miss them at all.  Also has a "with civilians" version in case you want to keep just a few around for aesthetics.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=260355

MinMax also just came out two weeks ago and is a merger of these two mods and a bunch of other performance-related mods.  I haven't tested it personally, but it's getting some rave reviews.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=327581

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 08:08:09 am »

Something to tweak stations to be some sort of lower-poly would help too, I'll look into Unleashed there.  I also found a mod to make the main menu blank, instead of the fancy station in the background, but I'm not sure how to use it.  Similarly, I have no idea how to instal a mod without the manager...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 10:45:52 am »

Alright, double post.  How... do I instal mods?  Several of the bigger mods come as .zip and not .spk and NONE of them have any instructions on how to instal them.  Am I missing something obvious?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 11:01:58 am »

Some are false patch cat/dat (requiring you to number them [rename the file to be the number] one higher than whatever cat/dat file already exists in your X3 folder) and some just get dropped straight into your script folder. cat/dat are basically all the patches and content additions made for the game. If 9.cat and 9.dat are the highest numbered files in your TC folder, rename the false patch to be 10.cat and 10.dat.

t folder= numbered xml and pck files
script folder = named xml and pck files

Word of advice to anyone using Windows that mods. Turn on the three letter extensions. Don't hide them.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:16:13 am by BigD145 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 11:15:14 am »

I have no idea what you mean.  Can you word it into simple "Do X, Y, Z, and play?" :P

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:56 am »

If 9.cat and 9.dat are the highest numbered files in your TC folder, rename the false patch to be 10.cat and 10.dat.

I tend to edit my posts. You snuck in while I was editing.

You only do this for false patches when there's mod_name.cat and mod_name.dat files in a zip. It's often recommended to also add a dummy file that might read 10_mod_name so you know what you're altered.

picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:22:55 am by BigD145 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 11:26:05 am »

The MARS mod, for instance, comes in a .zip and has four folders inside, "mods", "types", "t", and "scripts" and I'm not sure where to go from there.  ADS comes with a small readme that says simply "unzip/instal into your TC folder" which probably makes sense to someone that's actually done this before.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 11:41:10 am »

Types, t, and scripts are all existing folders. You're supposed to just drag, drop, and overwrite those. "Mods" goes with them (many games do not come with a mods folder and you have to make one). Anything in mods can only be used one at a time and is activated with the TC startup menu. If it says "put this in the TC folder" that's exactly what you do. For Steam it is of course in steampapps/common and if you bought from egosoft it's wherever you installed to.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:43:05 am by BigD145 »

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:48 am »

One of the best scripts I found is one called Bounce. It makes player owned ships much less suicidal. They will actually move out of the way of danger most of the time. Of note with Bounce is that it is negligibly effective with M5 class ships because at top speed most of them just move way too damn fast. They are really really fun to play with though.

What I do in TC most of the time is say "Screw you Paranids" and cap every TS, M3, M4, M5 that I see with careful application of IREs and really weak missiles. For the TS it is usually best to just use a high damage gun and eat their shields as fast as possible and then poke them with a weaker weapon until they bail out. The weaker weapon is to just keep damage higher than their shield regen and get the pilot to bail with as much hull left as possible.

It is really easy to increase standings in TC. If you are locked out of Paranid sectors due to hostility then just do missions from Paranid agents at any station outside of Paranid space.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 07:36:13 am »

I actually cheated, a little.  I'm using this script for "marines repair ship" and got a TM.  Wander out, cap 4 ships, land them on my Magnetar, and then sell them off when they're repaired.  Yeah, it's a little cheaty, but the pilot has a repair laser.  I could have repaired them myself with enough patience.  It's not as if I'm doing anything that's strictly impossible without the script.

After capping quite a few ships I managed to buy a Heavy Centaur, and packed it with marines, then started capping Paranid TMs in Split Fire, and capping the regular pirate ships, loading them all on the captured TM and selling the TM and all docked ships at once.  By the time I captured a Hyperion from them, I managed to start accepting assassination missions for 1-3mil each.

I now have a stable setup in President's End with a complex producing Beefsteaks, Argnu Beef, Snails, Majaglit, Freight Drones, Firestorm Torpedoes, Wasp Missiles, and Lasertowers.  I'm saving up for a Solar XL and accompanying crystal fab, and I'm running the "asteroid fusion" and "ultra tractor beam" scripts that'd let me grab roids from anywhere, condense them to higher-yield roids, and then plant a single mine on them.  That part is a little cheaty, I admit.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 08:44:40 am »

Off Topic: Isn't there a new X3 coming this year? Been thinking of giving the series another shot but I'd rather wait until the newest installment first.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4