Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: X3: Terran Conflict - time for modding!  (Read 16899 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: X3: Terran Conflict - time for modding!
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 08:50:42 am »

Albion Prelude is already out.  There's another one coming out "Soon" but it advertises itself as being different.  Just jumping to conclusions, but it almost looks like X3 meets Mass Effect.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 09:02:08 am »

Off Topic: Isn't there a new X3 coming this year? Been thinking of giving the series another shot but I'd rather wait until the newest installment first.

Yes, sometime soon either later this year or early next as far as I recall.

Albion Prelude is already out.  There's another one coming out "Soon" but it advertises itself as being different.  Just jumping to conclusions, but it almost looks like X3 meets Mass Effect.

They have mentioned they are streamlining it and moving away from the big empire building thing onto more of a plot arc. I'm all for plot arcs, arcs are great, but I do like my empire building too so hopefully they won't ruin it.

To be fair they said X3 was different to X2 and it's really not. According to wikipedia 'The developers assert however, that the game mechanics will remain comparable in complexity to those found in previous X series titles' however the citation used to claim that doesn't appear to claim anything of the sort, so who knows.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

I totally ignore the plot except for the convenient startup.  In X3:R I just hopped in a "Custom Start" and went at it.  In X3:TC it was too difficult and I had to do a Terran start, just to have a ship with some firepower and start doing anything in the universe.  I'll be doing the HUB/PHQ plots because they give me something, but I'm not really interested in the Xenon/Terran/whatever plot at all.  It's the pure freeform sandbox joy that draws me.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:16 am »

I like sandboxes were what you do has an effect on the world. X3 does a little (mostly economy) but not much other than via the plot missions. There is a couple of mods that made it possible to start large scale wars between factions though. (sandboxes where what you do has no effect just bore me)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:36 am »

Off Topic: Isn't there a new X3 coming this year? Been thinking of giving the series another shot but I'd rather wait until the newest installment first.

It's a revamp of the original. No more big fleets. More exploring big fleets as a single person.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 02:31:25 pm »

I like sandboxes were what you do has an effect on the world. X3 does a little (mostly economy) but not much other than via the plot missions. There is a couple of mods that made it possible to start large scale wars between factions though. (sandboxes where what you do has no effect just bore me)

This x 1000. Not too many games that are quite that nice, though.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 03:22:28 pm »

I think "Improved Races" does that to X3:TC though.  It promotes the different races to wage actual war, and if enabled, sectors can swap hands and the player can claim whole sectors as their own.  If you assault the Paranid war fleet, chances are the Argon will have an easier time claiming Paranid sectors, or vice versa.

Makes me want to park myself in the HUB or similar and orchestrate hilarious battles across the galaxy.  My puppets~

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »

I think "Improved Races" does that to X3:TC though.  It promotes the different races to wage actual war, and if enabled, sectors can swap hands and the player can claim whole sectors as their own.  If you assault the Paranid war fleet, chances are the Argon will have an easier time claiming Paranid sectors, or vice versa.

Makes me want to park myself in the HUB or similar and orchestrate hilarious battles across the galaxy.  My puppets~

It does, but even on decent rigs it starts to chug after awile. The XRM mod for Albion Prelude has a war in it too, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to ge tthe military network database to work, so I'm never able to actually find WHERE the Commonwelth-Terran war is happening.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »

X3 - Xtended 2.0 was released very recently. It is the biggest mod I know of for X3 Terran Conflict. I waited for over a year for it :P But it was in development for a lot longer.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=293490&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=conversion&start=0

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 08:09:20 pm »

Excellent necro!  What's this mod do, exactly?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2012, 08:27:14 pm »

The full list of features is in the link. But I'll sum up the major ones.

X-tended graphically improves the game. Much better skyboxes (or whatever they are considered in a space game...backdrops...whatever...), and much better planets. 2.0 gives each race their own stations. Instead of all of them being cloned. Among other graphical advancements.

Gameplay wise. There are a lot of dynamic events that happen. The main ones are pirates invading (and sometimes taking over) sectors or other races taking over their enemies sectors and giant battles. Sectors are bigger, and over time more of the galaxy opens up (so it slowly expands, so at first not every sector can go in). They changed the combat as well, improved it quite a bit...but to be honest, I don't fully recall vanilla X3 combat...so I'm going off the features for this one.

Lot better exploration for those that like that. As you explore new sectors, you get rewarded for it. More abandoned ships to take over that you can find while exploring. I haven't found any yet though.

Lots of new ships, missions and modules and stuff. A lot more content overall.

2.0 is quite an improvement over their previous 1.2, but its still pretty similar outside of improvements to the dynamic aspect of the universe and graphics, and some other new features.

If one has never played X-tended, it will be pretty much a new game experience. Since it is very different than vanilla X3.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 02:14:28 am »

Excellent necro!  What's this mod do, exactly?

/reinstalling frantically

Seriously, X-tended is a different game pretty much.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 02:52:34 am »

Lots of new ships, missions and modules and stuff. A lot more content overall.
This is why I don't touch most mods.  They always end up "Hey let's add like 40 new ships for each race!" but then I'm like "They only had like 6 ships each to begin with..."  It's like, yeah, more stuff, but I like the vanilla settings where you can identify "Alright, M4 is better than M5.  Good."  Plus, so many of them end up adding superships that are just outlandish...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 10:48:48 am »

Not to mention most of them are just for fluff and there are multiple ships with the exact...or damn near exact stats. Only difference being visuals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]