Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mad Cows  (Read 1658 times)

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mad Cows
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »

One of my first mods was to add a trainable tags to the water buffalo, as well as to make them a carnivore.  This, I have to say, is one of the most useful things I've done on Dwarf Fortress.  They are pretty much no longer water buffaloes, now they are blood thirsty killers.  I'm calling them the "Mad Cows of Visechambers (my fort's name)."  Every single thief, snatcher, hostile has met their ends to something along these lines:  "... gores The Kobold Thief in the head with his/her left/right horn, brusing the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain." 

I have yet to face a goblin siege, not sure why (I have 134 dwarves, ~72 k wealth, though I can't penetrate the aquifers, I just can't figure it out...).  I'm a bit anxious; I want to see how these war beasts do in larger scale battles.  I could have made them only war trainable because that is the only aspect I use with them.  I try to pair two (male+female) Mad Cows with at least one, hopefully two, war dogs.  The dogs get there first and hold the enemy, then the Mad Cows come in and obliterate them with one blow.  I embarked with a 3+1 breeding group of Mad Cows and a 3+1 breeding group of dogs.  I also embarked with a dwarf with high animal training skills.  Meat, Bone crafts, milk galore.   I have a feeling that there is something big coming... 

Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Cows
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:00:02 pm »

It's called a tantrum spiral :P

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:35 pm »

Yeah, been there ::) .  I've been doing a pretty good job at keeping it under control, only two deaths, though there is a kid dead (missing for over a year) in an aquifer.  I've got a pre-made cemetery, extra caskets, even a few for pets.  I had one death by vampire and locked her up in a walled in room. 

Those mad cows, though...  They do a good job.  I haven't had any die (other than through slaughter), yet.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:49:18 am »

You can retrieve child body out of aquifer by constructing (C)onstruction nearby and removing it. The only question is whether you need to do that since unless you have a ghost it'll only bring another unhappy thought to relatives.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 06:25:16 am »

Or engrave a slab.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:22:03 pm »

I do indeed have a ghost, now...  I'm a bit pathetic when it comes to the more complicated things on DF, so I only have stone BLOCKS that I have purchased from vendors, which apparently cannot be made into slabs (Dorf logic -_- ).  I have an aquifer barring me from accessing lower levels, only sand and wood, it seems.  I'm parked on the border between a tropical dry Broadleaf forest and Badlands, both savage.  I'm going to try just assigning a casket to the dead child to see if it works. 

About the lack of sieges:  It occurs to me that I haven't encountered any goblins.  No goblin thieves, nothing, just kobolds.  Maybe there are no nearby goblin civs?  Eh, doesn't matter.  My mad cow population is nearing 100, it might be there with the calves.  I have 2 dedicated, training squads on hand, as well.  My military does not seem to be lacking.

EDIT:
I did a head count before I started heavily editing the raws, I topped out nearer to 30 than 100.  Not sure why I thought 100.  *scratches head*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:54:28 am by Morgorin »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 07:38:16 pm »

I do indeed have a ghost, now...  I'm a bit pathetic when it comes to the more complicated things on DF, so I only have stone BLOCKS that I have purchased from vendors, which apparently cannot be made into slabs (Dorf logic -_- ).  I have an aquifer barring me from accessing lower levels, only sand and wood, it seems.  I'm parked on the border between a tropical dry Broadleaf forest and Badlands, both savage.  I'm going to try just assigning a casket to the dead child to see if it works.
If you have access to any part of the child's body then stuffing that into a casket will stop ghosts, but elsewise it won't do anything.

As for the aquifer, the Double-slit method doesn't require anything more then wood to perform.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »

I tried that, all I managed to do was begin flooding my -2z floor.  :/ 

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:39 am »

Back on topic:  I edited the raws again on the water buffalo.  I made them bigger (1500000), added a few tags to make them more agressive.  They are pretty much mini, meat-eating elephants.  On a semi-related note, I'm avoiding embarking on their native habitats from now on.  >.>   I was inspired by this small project so I'm working on other creatures now, of which I'll post the results into my "military beasts" thread.  I'll link this topic, so if someone wants to lock it, that would be OK with me. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13:32 pm »

I'll link this topic, so if someone wants to lock it, that would be OK with me.
As OP you have the power to lock the thread, just scroll to the very bottom and it's in the corner.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »

Back on topic:  I edited the raws again on the water buffalo.  I made them bigger (1500000), added a few tags to make them more agressive.  They are pretty much mini, meat-eating elephants.  On a semi-related note, I'm avoiding embarking on their native habitats from now on.  >.>   I was inspired by this small project so I'm working on other creatures now, of which I'll post the results into my "military beasts" thread.  I'll link this topic, so if someone wants to lock it, that would be OK with me. 
changing the size of already existing creatures wont make them larger, maybe the next generation but the one that already exist wont change size, probably if you look at their description they will have started to be called tiny, or sorts, as their size is now smaller than the defined size.
i know this because I already tryed it. (giant bettles that ended up microscopic but havent changed whit the fix)

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »

I did a world regen, otherwise this would be true.  Now I'm just waiting for some help or input on my metachickens.