Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best hospital setup, given the current bugs  (Read 3011 times)

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best hospital setup, given the current bugs
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »

The wiki article on dwarven health care is pretty well done (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Hospital) however there are some inconsistencies. 

For example:  "Build containers (b-h) to store hospital supplies. (Generally you want at least eight for a fully equipped hospital.)" vs "Due to an annoying years-old bug, hauling dwarves routinely oversupply hospitals. [...] Because of this, do not, ever, place containers in a hospital zone"

I'm guessing the containers are still being drastically over-supplied.  Has anyone used containers and had success, or found a suitable work-around?  Provide details of your hospital please, I'm expecting to need to use mine within a year or so and I'd like to get something very efficient set up.

Right now I've got my hospital located in the soil layer, next to my re-routed underground river as a clean water source.  Soap is on the way soon and I have a chief medical dwarf and a couple of dabbling nurses.  This is a young fortress so I have a little room to expand if I need to build a stockpile.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
Re: Best hospital setup, given the current bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:30:53 pm »

I go with the exact setup described in the wiki: I set all hospital supplies to zero except for soap, and then put in a container or two. It gets filled up with soap which is for exclusive hospital use, supposedly. Then I create separate hospital stockpiles for buckets, thread, cloth, gypsum, splints and crutches. Sometimes, after the soap is deposited, I add some gypsum to the hospital supplies and add a container for them to put it in. It works pretty well.
No signature

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »

They will bring cloth, thread, crutched and splints from anywhere. You can even make a stockpile containing these inside your hospital room. Also, if you use the setting Auto-Loom All Thread, keep giving the spin thread task in the farmer's workshop, buffalo/horse etc hair thread won't be weaved, so it will stay available for medical use.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:04 pm »

So if I understand correctly, keeping the cloth / thread stockpile within your hospital zone will allow medical dwarfs to use that stuff, just like it was in a chest.  Correct?

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »

So if I understand correctly, keeping the cloth / thread stockpile within your hospital zone will allow medical dwarfs to use that stuff, just like it was in a chest.  Correct?
"keeping the cloth / thread stockpile anywhere on map" or even "not having one but ensuring this stuff is present" will allow medical dwarfs to use that stuff, just like it was in a chest.
I simply make separate stockpile for all useful trade goods like: crutches, splints, quivers, chains, etc.
Just make sure they aren't all in one bin that is hauled halfway across the fortress in order to store one piece of cloth.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »

I just tried something to keep the overstocking down: forbid all hospital items, place containers in the hospital, then unforbid just a few items of each type until the hospital is stocked. Once the stock is met, no more jobs are issued to take stuff to the hospital.

It actually worked pretty well!

Until a Dress Wound job brought the cloth stock low, and now I have about a hundred Store Item in Hospital jobs. *sigh*
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »

I have about 5 containers in my hospital. The only thing that never really gets re-stocked is soap. So I just put in a soap stockpile. Seems to work fine. I have a pretty loose cloth industry that only buys imports. Most of my dwarves just make do wearing dead immigrant and goblin clothing. The only thing I absolutely make sure to make is shoes. Dwarves without shoes die instantly when they step on the cursed ash that litters my fort.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:42:35 am »

a possible workaround the bug is to only leave in the fortress enough thread/cloth for what you want in the hospital, then lower the hospital stockpile to 0

Ie before you process all those pig tails and rope reed fibers, and there's 5 yak hair threads in your stockpile that aren't useful for anything, raise the hospital's thread stockpile to anything. As soon as the yak hair thread is gone, turn it to 0 and process the fibers.

Same deal with the cloth. Before looming any of the thread, if you've got some cheap cloth left, raise the hospital stockpile of cloth, have the dwarves haul the items there, then lower it again.

This way your hospital is stocked and dwarves won't add anything more in there.

bobboy555

• Bay Watcher
  • A man who needs no introduction.
    • View Profile
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »

Why would you want to set up something efficient when it can be dwarven?
So, yeah, a stack of 2000 copper coins covered in vile ash that makes you vomit blood to death is my signature weapon.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:26:10 pm »

Why would you want to set up something efficient when it can be dwarven?

Given the state of Dwarven Healthcare, he's making sure they efficiently die :-).

(though TBH, my last fort had a pretty good success rate with its hospital)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »

I just put plenty (4-8) of containers, plus an extra soap stockpile; and have it be near a well (near via stairs is fine)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »

Biggest issue I have right now is dwarves not being hauled to the hospital, but instead laying somewhere with "no job".  (Known bug, solution/workaround seems to be removing all beds in the hospital, then placing or re-placing the beds.)

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:57:39 pm »

My issues with hospitals stem more from freeloaders napping in the beds than from storage/supplies.  Even when I have the hospital sufficiently farther away from everything else, ensuring that the bedrooms and dormitories are closer, the little drunks go to the hospital to nap.

Then when I actually have someone that needs to be put into a bed, all of them are taken, and he gets left on the floor in the corner of the hospital.  He didn't get put into a bed when one became free either, I had to deconstruct and rebuild a bed before he was treated.  He eventually died of infection.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 12:35:46 am »

I set beds in the hospital to be dormitories.  I try and put higher quality stuff in hospital.

Then I build a little finished food stockpile off to the one side with tables not in the hospital activity zone, of course.  Then I paint it all into a burrow, hospital activity zone, well and meeting/eating area into a burrow.  Two civilians live there, all the time.  Nurse-types.

But I don't do any of this until after I get a metal industry and metal clad squad up and running in a danger room somewhere, injuring each others on a routine basis.

In addition to the well, I like to include a floor grate or two, and a soap stockpile, with max possible storage bins.  I do not adjust the hospital quantities.  Sometimes, I will sell off the crappy quality hospital stuff to traders. 

I don't mind the drunks sleeping off a hangover.  Its the fellas that never seem to get off the traction bench that goof me up.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.