Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Hmm, the gold throne is more valuable, but the glass one is green glass!"  (Read 2045 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.

Or, which has precedence for making nobles happy: the item's value, or it being a favored material?

My count (who is pretty chill except for demanding bracelets and crossbows all the time) is getting new digs.  His favorite materials for stuff are green glass and copper, but gold is more valuable, and my dwarves are basically Urist McScroogeMcDuck and can swim in it, because there's so damn much of it.

The wiki had nothing to say that I could find over which would be better and why: preferred material vs more valuable material.  So now that I've done my homework, I'm asking you guys.

Yeah, I could just arrange an unfortunate meeting between he and Mr. Magma, but he's pretty cool and one of my original seven, so I like him.  For now.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Hmm, the gold throne is more valuable, but the glass one is green glass!"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »

Make two rooms, assign both to him and see which one he prefers for sleeping purposes and which one makes him happier.

Science. without the !!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:34:03 pm »

Or, which has precedence for making nobles happy: the item's value, or it being a favored material?

My count (who is pretty chill except for demanding bracelets and crossbows all the time) is getting new digs.  His favorite materials for stuff are green glass and copper, but gold is more valuable, and my dwarves are basically Urist McScroogeMcDuck and can swim in it, because there's so damn much of it.

The wiki had nothing to say that I could find over which would be better and why: preferred material vs more valuable material.  So now that I've done my homework, I'm asking you guys.

Yeah, I could just arrange an unfortunate meeting between he and Mr. Magma, but he's pretty cool and one of my original seven, so I like him.  For now.
I'm not certain of how favorite materials work but dorfs get good thoughts when they use them while working and admiring them gives more happiness. (I think)
If placing a golden throne will increase the room quality (ie. from grand to royal. should give more happiness when the noble sleeps in it) then use it but if the quality stays the same then use the glass one. (And hopefully giving the noble good thoughts from admiring the throne)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:34:47 pm »

I do believe once you assign him a new room, the old one gets dropped.  I've only seen a couple of rare instances where someone had two rooms assigned due to some kind of order of precedence conflict (excluding married persons) and haven't been able to replicate it.

If this noble is married, however, you could assign each party of the couple to each of the test rooms.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »

Science. without the !!

He's still a noble, better add in a magma hatch just to be on the safe side ^_^
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »

I think preferred materials add a multiplier onto value. There's no hard-and-fast rule; it depends on the materials in question and the relative skills of the workers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:44 pm »

Science. without the !!

He's still a noble, better add in a magma hatch just to be on the safe side ^_^

I happen to have an artifact hatch--that he himself made--for just such an emergency ;)

Thanks, everyone!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »

Just stud the green glass throne with gold, or encrust the gold throne with cut green glass.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »

Just stud the green glass throne with gold, or encrust the gold throne with cut green glass.

Or stud the green glass with more green glass or the gold one with more gold.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like gold, so I'm sorry to tell you that won't work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 05:48:34 pm »

lol DF does lend itself to that meme: Yo dog, we heard you like spikes, so we put spikes on your menacing spikes so you can admire spikes while you admire spikes.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:05:58 pm »

You most certainly can assign multiple rooms to a single dwarf.  You can also have the dwarf "pick" an available, unassigned room on his own and then assign him another one.  When I draft a dwarf, I assign them a room near the barracks, and always have to manually unassign their current room in the civilian housing section so they only have one room.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"