Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golden Axe, aka unique items in the world.  (Read 1135 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golden Axe, aka unique items in the world.
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »

About once a year I get the idea that I want the Golden Axe in DF. This lead to one potential idea for introducing unique items into the worldgen...

Would it be possible to make a weak creature with [UNIQUE_DEMON] tag, with a gizzard bodypart that includes the desired item? So, in the worldgen the creature would get into a fight, inevitably lose, and the axe would be created in the world.

Would an item butchered in the world gen still exist in the game, and would it end up in use? From there on you could find it by searching the history for instances of "struck down x with The Golden Axe" and hunting down its owner.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Axe, aka unique items in the world.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:22:03 pm »

I would say it would end up as useful as a stolen figuruine...  But that's assuming you could create it.  I know you could make a golden gizzard, but a golden axe in the gizzard?

What if you made a custom material, and made it [metal] and then brought it to future fort site with adventurer?  Then made it an axe.  Could copy the code for gold metal and even give it gold name.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:23:36 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »

No need to use the gizzard, just give it the golden axe as an itemcorpse so when it dies it drops it. Not sure you could actually find it or what would happen in world gen with it though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:15:43 pm »

Probably, nothing unless it was important enough to be buried.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:16:05 am »

You can make any item show up inside any body part in the same way that gizzard stones work, but I very much doubt that worldgen would notice it.  Also, you can't make unique creatures through raw editing - UNIQUE_DEMON is used only with generated creatures.

One thing you can do is create artifact-only weapons or tools: just define a weapon and don't give it to any existing civ.  The only way to get one will be through a strange mood, so it will only come in the form of artifacts.  Unfortunately, then there's no way to specify its material, but you can give it a ridiculously powerful attack so that it'll do heavy damage no matter what it's made of.  This is probably the closest you could get to your idea.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:49:15 am »

One thing you can do is create artifact-only weapons or tools: just define a weapon and don't give it to any existing civ.  The only way to get one will be through a strange mood, so it will only come in the form of artifacts.
That would only work reliably with ranged weapons (or armor) - when strange moods create weapons, they follow the civilization's permitted weapon types. The only way a mood can produce a foreign melee weapon is if the dwarf has a preference for it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.