Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Monster Hunter RTD : Discussion thread.  (Read 14784 times)

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter RTD : Discussion thread.
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:25 pm »

OVERTHINKING TIME!

Actually, it might make more sense to throw more ranged units into the wide open desert and fewer into the dense forest.
Here's my suggested party split-up, in no particular order:
*Woods: Akabarashi/Caellath the fox acrobat, Arnok/Greenstarfanatic the electric wizard demonkin, and Silk/Ironyowl the spooky demonkin
*Desert: Khan/Kilakan the cannon orc, Gunmirius/Caerwyn the crosssbowing gnome, and Dharma/peglegpenguin/me the status inflicter (assuming I get some level of paralysis)

Akabarashi (fox guy) is acrobatic, so he'd be most likely to take advantage of a dense forest full of obstacles. As I've already stated, Khan (orc) and Gunmirius (gnome) could take down enemies from afar in the desert, but should be at a disadvantage in the woods. I wasn't entirely sure where to put the last three members. I figured each team could use a mage for healing magic, though an electric wizard might not be so good at healing magic. That would mean either I would be the last member of the desert team or Arnok would. Electricity produces light, and evil things tend to dislike light (not to mention that an electricity wizard could probably help illuminate things). He would also be the closest thing that team forest has to a ranger. That forces me into the desert team as their only prayer for healing spells. If I succeed in getting a semi-reliable paralysis spell, team desert might be able to flank/stall its enemies to death before they can get close enough to fight back. Chances are enemies will have their own ranged units, which would probably be our first targets. While the gnome and orc take out some ranged enemies, I'd try to paralyze the rest and keep the battles as one-sided as possible.

The downside is that enemies in the spooky woods might be immune to our spooky demonkin's spooky ability. Intimidate would make a great way to reduce encounters and slow enemies, and I'd hate to waste that. It would be even more useful in the desert anyway because of the larger enemy mobs and extended battles. We could throw Silk into team desert instead of Dharma, but then team desert would have to rely on what are obviously hp potions Gol'du gave us. Also, there might be an added advantage if Dharma's alchemy implies herblore, too. As in, Dharma might be able to collect herbs and make potions in the woods, and might even know what plants are dangerous. I'm really not sure what to do. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:14:42 pm by peglegpengeuin »
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »

I personally think as you initially suggest that me, gunmirius, and you in the desert would be the best combo for that location.  Of course we could do equally well in the mountainous area (except I might blow up near fire), but yeah I think the two more acrobatic guys and the lightening mage would do best in a place with more cover and perhaps liquid for electricity conduction?  That and also I think that an orc, and a lizard man would be the best to survive in an arid environment with little water and high heat as opposed to the more humanoid types.  There is also the fact that the desert is orc/goblin territory.  So say in the event we run outta water, at least me or Dharma could carry the Gnome until we find water, where as if we had a larger humanoid it would be a lot harder for the two people used to heat and sun to get the third less adapted to safety.

*edit  That and two demonkin with a poor little fox-man could lead to some hilarious stories.  Hehehe with two half-demons in one team, and a lizardman/orc in the other we could go by teams Black and Green :p
Nom nom nom

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:07 pm »

He would also be the closest thing that team forest has to a ranger.

Tatsuo's Fuuma can also be thrown and boomerangs back to the owner. So it does work as a ranged weapon.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 09:49:34 pm »

Again, Arnok's book can be ranged as well. I think he would do well anywhere except the mountains. Just put him wherever you see fit.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:22 am »

Gunmirius fights best when there's beautiful ladies around. Desert camels do not fall under that category.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 10:31:41 am »

I doubt there are beautiful ladies around any of the remaining places.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

We'll pick up a nice orcish girl for you, Caerwyn.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 10:55:57 am »

Wouldn't a goblin gal be a little better suited?  We'd not want a strong orcish women breaking him.
Nom nom nom

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 11:09:45 am »

Please update the waitlist? I've sent in my sheet and want to know where I stand.

Also, nice lore!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 11:13:15 am »

@Tiruin: Post your sheet here, that's not fun.
>Yes?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2012, 11:37:33 am »

We'll pick up a nice orcish girl for you, Caerwyn.

Oh, man, that's just NASTY-

Wouldn't a goblin gal be a little better suited?  We'd not want a strong orcish women breaking him.

Oh no you don't you beast.

[Perk gained: Hatred for Orcs gained. Adds +0 to hit against orcs, and -0 when conversing with orcs. May make snide comments.]

Oh, right. I forgot to ask, but can we have some form of simple "Perks" in this game? Whether through completing hard quests, finding special goals, or just being radically Gnomish...

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2012, 11:39:37 am »

Should we be worried about Dharma being too dehydrated to explore a desert after drinking so much alcohol?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2012, 11:48:09 am »

Should we be worried about Dharma being too dehydrated to explore a desert after drinking so much alcohol?

Naw. Do what the mongols did; - They lived off of dried horse meat, camel milk, and horse blood.

And these buggers rode hundreds of miles across harsh terrain, slaughtering villages and assaulting castles.

"When the Mongols first entered a new land, they would locate the nearest village, and decimate it. No man, woman, child or animal would be left alive. The fields would be sowed with salt, houses burned to ruins, and the skulls piled up. As such, the surrounding villages were quick to pay tribute, if only to satiate the Mongol's depraved thirst."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2012, 12:00:31 pm »

@Tiruin: Post your sheet here, that's not fun.
Eheh, oops. ^^

Name: Theri Aria
Race: Foxfolk//Kitsune

-Str 7
-Agi 9
-Cha 10
-Tough 2
-Int 7

Weapon: Bow
Personal Item: A small opalescent orb -- perhaps only of sentimental value to the young kitsune? It is translucent.

Affinity: Light

Bio:
A being in the lands of mortal men, Theri was an outcast who lived a mostly nomadic life. Apart from her kin and clan in the lands where the blossoms lay, she took mostly of an aspect from humanity -- she knew nothing of those who her kinfolk served, but knew of those which served the land and the truth.

Theri only had one thing that reminded her of a different world, a gift that was said to have been found at her birth by her human guardians, the orb that now hangs from her belt. It was said, that she was found near one of the shrines dedicated to Inari - the god of foxes and rice, along with other associated ideas. Expecting no more than a poor animal to nurse back to health, she was taken in by those who found her -- humans.

Now, given her upbringing, Theri was still treated like those who inhabited the wilderness and dread-lands of the world: like filth and like a monster. Her single tail and fox-like ears set her apart despite her feminine body, which was covered with a soft blanket of silver fur, was considered quite attractive by those who used to scorn her for laughs.

She decided to prove them all wrong when opportunity presented itself, honing her skill as a huntress in the meantime. By joining their forces of Volikmar.

I was persuaded by the lore.
You cannot beat Amaterasu. For the Sun Goddess! (Alright, Ikari is different but  :P)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2012, 12:08:11 pm »

Ah, yes, I loved Okami... Beautiful game, with a lot of interesting historical references. And as Chuggaa would say...

ASDF JFGDHHTRV ART DIRECTION.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10