Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Challenge Letter!  (Read 2014 times)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
Challenge Letter!
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:13 am »

I have a challenge (which will be a little too easy for some I imagine).

An above ground fortress!

The only thing that can be below ground are the mines you use for finding ore and stone and a farm for cave plants (which most dwarves use for sustenance, despite making better food for them). Everything else, from the armory to the main hall, to the grand bedroom for the queen which you will eventually fill with lava, MUST be above ground.

I'm sure this has been put forth before, but I've never seen it.

Please post proof and stories of the grand experiment in replies.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge Letter!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:48:46 am »

This is a pretty common challenge that many of us have tried.

I will take it with a few alterations:
-Zero point embark (no skills, animals, picks, food. nothing)
-Terrifying biome (Well, the one I just started has an ocean border so a tiny bit of untamed shore.)
-Absolutely no digging.

Edit:
Seems like my embark turned out to be easier than I had hoped. The constant rain of human blood doesn't seem to do anything interesting and the worst critters I have seen thus far (early autumn) were a floatilla of cuttlefish women and a swarm of 10 keas trying to loot my starving settlement. ::) Not sure if the biome is resurrecting yet.

There is no rope reed on the site so I might start having trouble once the dorflings start wanting new socks. Plenty of sliver barb and glumprong though.
Also, no traps or gates since I don't have stone. Perhaps I will have to resort to caravans. (What humiliation. Actually having to keep those buggers alive.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:52:32 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:08:48 am »

I like the no point thing, but because of the wood axes now you can get by more easily than before. Also MINECART DEFENSE!!! If epic just make a few hundred rails around your fort and set burrows up so they can never leave the tiny area. Always FUNNY as hell when a group of ambushers get killed byt a x4 wide racetrack of minecarts.

I might do the no embark point thing sounds DWARFY if you make it till you get an anvil and a pick also stone.

How about 0 embark points and you have to embark on a Volcano, can be a mountain volcano or a flat on.
The only things your dwarves are allowed to produce for improvements or any tools MUST come from the magma forges.
The only thing you can use until then is the 3 logs from the wagon and that's it. So you can build 3 workshops and deconstruct them when the caravan comes for your trade depot.
Also ALL walls must be made of Glass or Clay ONLY.
*Special rule you can only build a carpenter, mechanic or sill from the logs.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:21 am »

Why not just go for a zero point glacier no digging embark.

Sounds like that would be all but impossible.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:51 am »

Some challenges are just so hard it makes them stupid even if you succeed you are like WTF is wrong with me.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:34 am »

Some challenges are just so hard it makes them stupid even if you succeed you are like WTF is wrong with me.

And yet for some reason a small part of you is thinking 'but maybe I *could* survive that...' :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:14:30 pm »

I like the no point thing, but because of the wood axes now you can get by more easily than before. Also MINECART DEFENSE!!! If epic just make a few hundred rails around your fort and set burrows up so they can never leave the tiny area. Always FUNNY as hell when a group of ambushers get killed byt a x4 wide racetrack of minecarts.

I might do the no embark point thing sounds DWARFY if you make it till you get an anvil and a pick also stone.
It is pretty easy to survive until you can buy a pick and an anvil but I usually try to survive without them. (Ie. no digging. Ever.)

As for the minecart defense:
Sounds interesting but I doubt that I will try it since it would ruin the fun. Just remember that building tracks requires either stone surface or materials so in no digging and no point embark you would have to build it out of wood and there never is enough of wood for something like that. (Since you have to build your fortress out of wooden walls and floors)
Edit: And you can't build rollers without stone for the mechanisms.

Edit2:
Bah, this embark turned out to be too easy. I managed to build a relatively large wooden fort and start a clay industry (had to buy one firesafe block from the caravans)
Noone seems bothered by a wormy tendrim wriggling in the middle of my dining room.
I can just imagine what the caravans must think..
"Say, Urist. What's that hideous shack outside yer fortress?" "That ain't no shack my lad. That pile o' logs over thar is our fortress!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:05:07 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:32:25 pm »

I'm currently running a 10 year old above ground fortress with only mining tunnels being underground. There were several above ground forts before this one that were all abandoned for various failures i have since learned from. Since building ANYTHING above ground is akin to a mini megaproject i set the pop cap to 30 (for fps reasons), build a small(20x20 tiles) log fort in a corner and i roleplay those 30 to be a construction team sent ahead to ready the site for actual colonists. When the city is finished pop cap will be released and everyone will instantly fit into their predesignated house and workplace.

That's the theory anyway.

In practice of those 30 there were 11 married couples plus 2 couples from starting seven which married later. 10 years later i have 90 population of which 60 are children. Needless to say it's a haven for snatchers. Originally i only planned to wall the starting mini fort to stop snatchers but that did not work so i spent at least 2 years building a wall encircling (it's a square actually) the future settlement. Now my entrance is small and i only need to patrol that so only about 1% of snatcher make it. A note for every future above ground fortress overseer: make a plan upfront on how to deal with snatchers, you won't have the safety of the mountain so you need to make lots of patrol routes and/or lots of walls.

With my workers being all over the place i started to dread caravan arrival because they are very often followed by ambushes and without the safety of the mountain i more than a couple of woodcutters are in dangers. This contributed to the decision to build a proper wall.

My original plan was to use a single 4-6 squad of marksdwarfs ex-hunters to deal with ambushes (every one of them was left with hunting labor on until they reached at least adept level), however the babies pushed my population above 80 which invited sieges. Luckily one of my starting 7 was a proficient axedwarf/proficient teacher and he spends the whole time training with an immigrant grand master axedwarf. They are the only part of the fort which are full time soldiers (with only 30 adults i need every pair of hands available for construction). They are now legendary and can deal with an infinite number of sieges by themselves (barring a lucky lasher hit).

I have zero agriculture, having no problem sustaining myself on hunting, fishing, plant collecting and trading. All alcohol except for an occasional import is made from above ground plants. My main export is iron weapons/equipment, i buy all wool and cloth for caravans for the never satiated clothing industry (babies are born naked so when they grow to be a child they require a full cloth set, with 60 children... let us just say that my dabbling clothier quickly reached legendary from the 24/7 work he has been doing), although i like to make every type of clothing you really only need shoes/socks for feet, trousers for legs and anything for torso to make them not naked.

I planned to move the construction team from mini fort in a city once it has been completed 100% but then i realized that married couples+children share rooms so even though i had 90 dwarfs i only needed about 17-18 homes for all of them so now they are living in an unfinished city while the old log fort serves as a warehouse and a workshop complex for every workshop which did not have a structure built for it in the city proper.

The embark site is 5x5 near perfect flat plain with a lake, heavily forested (it better be for all the construction i'm doing). The lake helped me primarily to pierce aquifers because for some reason the embark square that contains lake doesn't have one. The temperature is warm which made me feel ok with turning off temperature in .ini file because at you do not lose any features (too warm for pools to freeze too cold for evaporation). Because of all the clothing i made for 90 dwarves and all iron gear for soldiers wealth while small bloated enough for me to be granted a barony and next year a county.

Every and i mean every building is built exclusively from blocks with stone blocks for walls and wood blocks for roof and floor (i treat wood blocks as planks), with new update giving you 4 blocks per stone job the main time sink is making all the wood blocks, eventually i ran into situation where i chopped >90% of the trees on map so now i am waiting for nature to hurry up and give me my construction materials.

Starting seven were (proficient unless noted otherwise): armorsmith/weaponsmith, carpenter/bowyer, mason/stonecrafter, axedwarf/teacher (for future army projects), novice ambusher/skilled marksdwarf/leatherworker and architect/some combination of judge of intent and appraiser that i don't remember anymore. Nothing special about this embark strat nor in any way specialized for above ground fortresses aside from the lack of miners and a single hunter.

Currently i have completed a tavern (2-story building, dining room down, drinking room up), hospital, barracks, cloth manufactory (loom and dyer's shop included), soap manufactory, distillery, several houses and as you can see lots and lots of roads. The unfinished walls on the right is a future tomb complex (which is one of the rare things that will be built underground), the unfinished flooring on the left is dried up murky pool being walled in, beneath those roads are several ex murky pools all pumped out and replaced with rock walls, in times like these i wish DF would have soil blocks like minecraft so i could fill murky pools more easily. Construction is very slow because i don't have the guts to activate masonry and carpentry on all 31 dwarfs. Overall the town is still in the early stages with lots of workshops and stockpiles being left out in the open. In about 5 years 20 children will grow to teens so things will speed up from then i hope.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »

Correct this isn't a new challenge, but I've never really tried to myself so let's give it a go.
I found this little world.
But    
17849 Dwarves
1288 Elves
30086 Goblins

No kobolds or humans... should I try anyways? or run more worlds for the full range?

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:07:01 am »

Correct this isn't a new challenge, but I've never really tried to myself so let's give it a go.
I found this little world.
But    
17849 Dwarves
1288 Elves
30086 Goblins

No kobolds or humans... should I try anyways? or run more worlds for the full range?

I like this one, can you put it on dffd?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:49:33 am »

I had tried exactly the op some time ago.  The fort was going to be a stone tower, with a 20x20 footprint, at least 7 zlevels high (I considered going all 15 up to the ceiling, but I wouldn't know what to do with all that space), and maybe replacing the stone walls for metal when I had found enough of it.  Miners dug quarries for building material nonstop, and everyone else had masonry turned on to keep the tower going up.  Construction took longer than I expected it to.  I attempted this twice, but I never got past the building the second floor because zombies.  Someday I will get around to trying this again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »

I'm sure this has been put forth before, but I've never seen it.

Please post proof and stories of the grand experiment in replies.
link
link
aaaand
complimentary img of most recent screen cap

The only thing that can be below ground are the mines you use for finding ore and stone and a farm for cave plants
Hmm... I cover all the boxes here except for when it comes to storage (of corpses, items and were-creatures). That count?

Everything else
MMhmm

from the armory
Check
to the main hall
Below ground for beautiful reasons...
to the grand bedroom
Everyone gets grand bedrooms, all above ground :3

Most interesting fort I've had in a long while. I've had science babies, engraved brass walls and tons of Fun from the frequent flyings and farcical nature of the ferocious and feral nature of the undead ravens.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:47:06 pm »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 10:26:06 pm »

anyone have a status on this?  ???

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »

After the initial lack of interest, I figured let it die.

Pages: [1] 2