Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 12457 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 06:52:06 pm »

Most MTG fun I ever had was in Shandalar. I do wish they had made more games like it.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »

Just went to a Con, one of my friends did a Gatecrash draft. Went into it determined to draft Dimir because of its lack of popularity. First pack? Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. Continued to pull a Consuming Aberration out of the next pack and followed by drafting several Mind Grinds. Not to mention being passed a few more mythics. I've never seen luck like that at a draft before. 0_0

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

Hah! Meanwhile, I don't even particularly like the Dimir, but I'm drowning in Lazavs.

I swear, cards aren't equally distributed within rarities.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2013, 04:39:37 pm »

Hah! Meanwhile, I don't even particularly like the Dimir, but I'm drowning in Lazavs.

Drowning? I'd be fine to help you bail out some of those. :D

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »

Your sample size is just too small.  :)  You'd have to open whole cases of boosters to get statistically significant data.

------

Edio, you didn't mention how you fared with your serendipitous Dimir drafting...   ?  ( if it's a boring story, tart it up a bit!  ^______^ )
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:26:39 pm by aristabulus »
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2013, 08:18:34 pm »

Went to a different LGS than usual yesterday for a Modern tournament.

First time playing Modern, scraped together a rough Bant Hexblade deck from cards that I and two of my friends had. And by rough, I mean I played Brushland in place of Temple Gardens, Condemns in place of Paths, and an Arbor Elf and two Avacyn's Pilgrims in place of three Noble Hierarchs. My mana was terrible (but not as bad as it could have been, I still had mostly shocks and fetches), and I didn't have as many swords as I'd have liked.

My two friends went 3-0-1, I went 3-1, my only loss being to one of them. The three of us - all new to the store - took first, second, and third. Turns out it had been true that the competition at that store was much softer than my normal LGS.

First round was against Mono-Green. Game one I was mana-screwed and just barely didn't hold off two Dungrove Elders in a close game. Games two and three saw a Sword of Feast and Famine ping-ponging between an attacking creature and a creature I held back to hold off his Dungroves for the win.

Second round, I played against one of my friends, and between keeping bad hands and his always insane luck, I lost a quick 0-2 against what was quite literally almost exactly his Standard Boros deck, just with Arid Mesas, Lightning Bolts, and Grim Lavamancers. He always top-decks like a champ, always has exactly what he needs, and it's insane. I know he's not stacking his deck, because one of his hands isn't fully functional and someone else has to shuffle his deck; usually his opponent. It's not like he's ever done any insanely complex plays, or bluffed well, or anything. It's always pure luck. And I always complain about it.

Third round was against the Bump in the Night/Lava Spike deck. Two quick games against that saw a 2-0 win for me, with nothing spectacular. At one point, I had to clarify that animating a Stirring Wildwood was not it entering the battlefield when he tried to insist it would be tapped because of his Urabrask the Hidden. I feel like he thinks I was cheating, but I offered to call over the local L2 and he declined.

Final round was against a B/R vampires brew. Fun match-up, and it reminded me of a rougher version of my old B/R vampires deck from Zendikar-Scars Standard, but I ultimately won out 2-0 through a combination of Geist of Saint Trafts, Rancors, and Invisible Stalkers. We played a third game for fun, and her Vampire Nighthawk beat me over the head repeatedly thanks to Blade of the Bloodchief making it an 8/9 before I finally scooped when I didn't topdeck a much-needed Condemn.

Prizes were handed out with 3 packs to each player in the Top 4 and everyone else getting 1 pack. In a way, I like that prize distribution since it was only 12 players, but had we had more players I would have wanted a proper Top 8 prize distribution. My 'lucky' friend pulled a Godless Shrine, my other friend pulled a Deathrite Shaman, Steam Vents, and something else. Meanwhile the best I pulled was a Giant Adephage, which was a little bit of a downer. That's why I don't buy packs; such a gamble, and I never win that lottery.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:21:08 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2013, 12:38:36 pm »

Necromancy, for great justice! I didn't want to clog up the Happy thread.

I've finished what I think are the finishing touches on a Simic deck, with black mostly for access to Corpsejack Menace. Any thoughts on how to tune it up? Color balance, roles I need cards to fill, etc. Specific card suggestions are okay, but I'm limited to what I actually own, so they may not be helpful if I don't have access to the card (I'd load up on Archdruids if that weren't an issue). I can see that my acceleration is pretty heavily skewed toward green, but I can't really resolve that efficiently. Hoping to win some games at FNM with this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2013, 01:26:59 pm »

They just announced the block beginning in the fall: Theros block, with the sets Theros, Born of the Gods, and Journey into Nyx. Finally, a Greco-Roman setting.

I've wanted this for a while but I thought they'd never do it since angels would seem out of place in the setting. So now I get to see whether they shoehorn angels into the set shittily or they're ballsy enough to leave them out for a year. I've had to go without my favorite creature types (sphinxes and goblins) very often, so I'm hoping the angel fans get to suffer for once.

And there are a few spoilers for Dragon's Maze and M14, but the community already has a better place for that shit.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »

I've learned that I need more counterspells. Out go the Cloudfins and a swamp, in goes a scatter arc and three simic charms.

EDIT: Now I'm weak to flyers. Well, more than before, anyway. Hmmm...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:12:05 pm by Bauglir »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2013, 10:54:04 pm »

Is bumping via double-post after a day kosher on this board? I ordinarily wouldn't, but it's dropped to page 3.

So I pulled an Enter the Infinite at a draft today. I'm seriously considering finding a place for it and a Psychic Spiral in that there Simic deck, because even with Fathom Mages and Zameck Guildmages aplenty, I can't seem to draw for beans, but my acceleration is working just fine. Maybe too fine - there were several just-for-fun games where I would have the requisite 12 mana, and not be able to do anything with it because my hand was full of lands or counterspells.

EDIT: Also, my Boros deck in a similar just-for-fun game got obliterated by a stuffy doll cloning deck, and a Blasphemous Act he'd been holding all game. 'S like, I'm not even mad at that point. It's just too classy.

EDIT: Additional silliness: an idea has sprung to mind of a deck filled with defenders, acceleration (Axebane Guardian, Arcane Melee are probably the best here), counterspells, 4 copies of Enter the Infinite, 2 copies of Omniscience, and 2 copies of Psychic Spiral (in case the first gets countered). Stall while ramping up to drop Enter the Infinite, Omniscience either going down beforehand to provide slight acceleration or afterward to ensure free casting. Discard as many cards as possible, Spiral. 4 Breeding Pools would be nice, but ultimately cost just way too much.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:54:23 am by Bauglir »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2013, 01:40:04 am »

That is an awfully convoluted way to use Psychic Spiral. Aren't there more winny things you could be doing with your Omniscience?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2013, 01:49:51 am »

My friend told me about this game the other day. Teach me, o' masters. I have so much to learn.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:43 am »

My friend told me about this game the other day. Teach me, o' masters. I have so much to learn.

Honestly before you even decide to pick this up I'd encourage you to make sure there is a community for this near you.

Nothing hurts more then buying something and finding out there is no one to play with.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2013, 03:20:18 am »

Try whatever is the most recent version Duels of the Planeswalkers, the virtual version on xbox/Steam/iPad. Great learning tool, and you don't necessarily need anyone to play with.

And it's only like $10, a pretty small investment as far as MTG is concerned.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:55 am »

Stoof

For draw you can try Thought Scour(Get Snap Caster Mages, Target yourself, profit), Think Twice, Garruk Primal Hunter, Zeganna, Jace MA and urban evolution if you're in G/U like I think you are.

Never play Scatter Arc. It's too late and mana intensive. If you're keeping four mana open you might as well play rewind so at least you can play something else after your counter. Dissipate hits everything counterable, and so does syncopate.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8