Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 12478 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 07:39:48 am »

I've used OCTGN up till now, and it has a very nice interface. Cockatrice, on the other hand,  has the upside of being able to search up cards and build decks rapidly. It's also much, much smaller and easier to set up.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »

Yeah, I never could figure out how to use OCTGN. Cockatrice is much simpler and streamlined to use.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 04:10:39 pm »

When Ravnica comes out I'm thinking that my black/white token's going to become a green/white. You lose lingering souls and the removal but with populate, Rings of Thune and more of a focus on humans I can run four Champion of the Parish and have them working at maximum efficiency. And Angel of Jubilation combined with Honour of the Pure makes every single token scary as shit.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »

With the common rarity Gate dual lands coming out, you could probably afford to make it BWG!

I can't believe there are common rarity duals coming out, it's about damn time that they not be rare and thus trapped in the five dollar or more range.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 05:12:47 pm »

With the common rarity Gate dual lands coming out, you could probably afford to make it BWG!

I can't believe there are common rarity duals coming out, it's about damn time that they not be rare and thus trapped in the five dollar or more range.

Ehh, with the "Enter the battle tapped" thing they lose a lot of the flexibility and power the 5$ ones have. I have 4 M13 dual lands(One is green/White) and honestly they've been declining in price for a while. Except for the fucking white/Black one because white/black tokens is silly and OP.

Of course "Gatecrash" might have some silly mechanic interacting with them, but that's only when the set's released.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:14:49 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »

Except for the fucking white/Black one because white/black tokens is silly and OP.

Silly? Yes. OP? Not even close. It's not a top deck, and there's a reason for it. Isolated Chapel and the rest of the INN lands are more expensive because they've only been printed once; the M10 duals have been printed four times.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »

How does Cockatrice exist?  From what I can tell, you can download cards, build decks and play games with those decks, all without having to buy a single card?  I have to say, that gets rid of what I see as the worst part of M:TG...  $$$  But how is this legal?
How is it not legal? They're not charging for anything.

I don't know!  It's just rather surprising that I could play Magic for free.  Don't get me wrong--I'm all for it.  I just feel like it might be too good to be true.
For a lot of people, there's a draw from associating the money you've put into the hobby with status. Between that, the social aspect of the game, and official events like FNM, the target audiences are probably different enough that free programs like this don't cut significantly into WotC's profit margins. I'm sure it violates intellectual property rights, just as hosting D&D sourcebooks does, but I don't think WotC cares, and won't until Magic stops churning out ludicrous stacks of cash (which is to say, give it a couple decades, at least).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »

Anyone else do Draft matches? I find them more fun than regular magic.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 02:57:40 pm »

For a lot of people, there's a draw from associating the money you've put into the hobby with status. Between that, the social aspect of the game, and official events like FNM, the target audiences are probably different enough that free programs like this don't cut significantly into WotC's profit margins. I'm sure it violates intellectual property rights, just as hosting D&D sourcebooks does, but I don't think WotC cares, and won't until Magic stops churning out ludicrous stacks of cash (which is to say, give it a couple decades, at least).
Bear in mind, though, that every last scrap of information you'd need to play Magic is publicly available. I'm not actually sure how that affects the legality of creating a program that uses said info, but it's not like sourcebooks where you're releasing information that's not supposed to be available unless you own the product.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »

Anyone play DP2013? The DLC just came out,  so the metagame has been shaken up quite a bit.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »

Anyone play DP2013? The DLC just came out,  so the metagame has been shaken up quite a bit.

I am. I took the time to play and fully unlock Mindstorms. Then rage because it's so wonky and unfocused, instead of a genuine Izzet counterburn deck like I truly dearly want.

All the other decks are real good though. I can't believe they put in Geist of St. Traft when that just flatout ends games by itself, the format just can't handle it, and it's a big reason why W/U Aggro control is such a good archetype at FNM, second only to Zombie tribal oddly enough.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »

I am. I took the time to play and fully unlock Mindstorms. Then rage because it's so wonky and unfocused, instead of a genuine Izzet counterburn deck like I truly dearly want.

All the other decks are real good though. I can't believe they put in Geist of St. Traft when that just flatout ends games by itself, the format just can't handle it, and it's a big reason why W/U Aggro control is such a good archetype at FNM, second only to Zombie tribal oddly enough.

Aura Servants really folds against Ancient Wilds, since you can choke off his mana before he can deploy any real threats. Sepulcheral Strength though? Ouch. The sheer amount of removal is just rediculous.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »

Yeah, Azorious has some real bad matchups, but if there's more than a few that just can't handle it, and I really don't like that. Still, the DLC hasn't been out for a long time, so let's see if my opinion changes over time.

Hit me up on Steam if you want to play a game or something.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »

Oh god, do I ever play Magic.

Entirely EDH, because I can't really be assed to keep up with the standard meta.

I play via Cockatrice.
Hit me up on Steam or Evolve if you want a round.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »

What is this cockatrice of which you speak?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8