Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 12472 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »

Ah, Magic. The amount of options you give is insane.

As an example, there is an OLD style of deck called the grindstone deck, which revolves around putting a players deck straight into the graveyard. Almost, geeze, 10 years ago, I made a deck with a similiar theme, that removed it from the game. Scalpalexis + Supreme Inquisitor + every wizard in existence. Nothing like selectively taking out the players best cards in their deck then stripping up to their entire deck off the top in one attack.

Energy Chamber + Prototype Portal + Orochi Hatchery + Paradox Haze = Billions of snake token creatures. If you can get it going right, you can more than double what you have each turn. Throw in Seshiro the Anointed (Other Snake creatures you control get +2/+2. Whenever a Snake you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.) for added hilarity.
Squirrel decks did it better.
I will say that my creatureless deck has two each of Traumatize and Keening Stone, the combination of which is a two-card autokill for most decks, if you can front the mana cost (and I have as much acceleration as I safely could). Doesn't quite destroy you if you have cards in your library that go back in your library whenever the enter the graveyard, and if there's a card out there that puts your whole graveyard into your library when it enters the graveyard from anywhere, that would be quite a difficult situation. And yes, poison counters are a major weakness - all I can do is play cards to reduce damage against creatures with infect, and that's a short-term stalling tactic at best.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »

Squirrel decks did it better.
Considering you can use two prototype portals to make as many prototype portals as you want, and then keep generating artifact lands to keep up with your mana costs, I somehow doubt this =P It's more vulnerable to destruction, but since you can boost your mana flow arbitrarily it can be absurdly fast and focused. Squirrels win on humour, though.
Squirrel deck had two cards. One was an enchant land. Enchanted land gained "Tap: Put a 1/1 squirrel token into play." Second was an enchantment. "Tap a creature,artifact, or land. Tap or untap target permanent." Both were extremely cheap to play, under 4 mana each IIRC, and the rest of the deck consisted of counters and denials and boomerangs.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:46 pm »

the rest of the deck consisted of counters and denials and boomerangs

I really hate those decks.

Then again it is why I don't face optimised legacy decks.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »

Anyone want to play using Cockatrice?

I'm in the process of refining my Standard deck, and I'm always up for playing eternal formats as well.

You are a little too good for my level of playing ability :P

But I'm practically a newbie! :C

The only eternal decks I have are the themed ones I made with Cocktrice for fun. Hardly the most efficient of things.

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »

Hmmm...Its been quite a while since I got involved in Magic: The Gathering. Nobody I know really collects or play down where I am anymore.

A shame really, because I got back into it a while ago.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 04:04:03 pm »

Energy Chamber + Prototype Portal + Orochi Hatchery + Paradox Haze = Billions of snake token creatures. If you can get it going right, you can more than double what you have each turn. Throw in Seshiro the Anointed (Other Snake creatures you control get +2/+2. Whenever a Snake you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.) for added hilarity.

You need Doubling Season and to a lesser extent Parallel Lives.

Doubling season means that Orochi hatchery comes into play with (2x)(2x) counters on it and creates twice the number of counters in snakes. And if you play more than one the effects combine. Yerp
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »

Are old cards worth anything these days?  I've got a massive box of old MTG cards from "The Dark" to "Mirage" that have been gathering dust for ages.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 09:46:58 pm »

Are old cards worth anything these days?  I've got a massive box of old MTG cards from "The Dark" to "Mirage" that have been gathering dust for ages.

Depends on the cards, not all will be.

Anyway, to everyone ITT, I'd be up for some Cockatrice play. I play Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, EDH, Pauper... you name it, I have a deck for it. I tend to be a bit competitive, so if you're looking for casual play, just let me know beforehand so I don't bring out my best decks.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 10:47:07 pm »

Well for tourneys they are worthless but someones got to be collecting them.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 10:51:02 pm »

the rest of the deck consisted of counters and denials and boomerangs

I really hate those decks.

Then again it is why I don't face optimised legacy decks.

My personal favorite is a stasis deck I put together for under 200 dollars worth of cards (granted, they were in the back closest), which was incidentally very similar to a number of high performing stasis decks.

Let me say this: Stasis+ Chronotog+ Root maze, + assorted zero mana counters= 2 turn deathlock.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 10:59:28 pm »

How does Cockatrice exist?  From what I can tell, you can download cards, build decks and play games with those decks, all without having to buy a single card?  I have to say, that gets rid of what I see as the worst part of M:TG...  $$$  But how is this legal?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:21 pm »

How does Cockatrice exist?  From what I can tell, you can download cards, build decks and play games with those decks, all without having to buy a single card?  I have to say, that gets rid of what I see as the worst part of M:TG...  $$$  But how is this legal?
How is it not legal? They're not charging for anything.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »

There have been all spoilers for RTR posted.

Now I'm just waiting for when the DLC for DotP M13 become available, though I might honestly not have the five dollars to throw at it :(

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:15 pm »

How is it not legal? They're not charging for anything.

I don't know!  It's just rather surprising that I could play Magic for free.  Don't get me wrong--I'm all for it.  I just feel like it might be too good to be true.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

There used to be a nice one called Apprentice, but they stopped updating it around future sight.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8