Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 12481 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Magic: The Gathering
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:55:08 am »

I thought I'd make a thread, considering how all the previous ones have died.

How 'bout that Return to Ravnica, then?

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:59:24 am »

I'm psyched!

Seriously, the way they've been going lately each set is better than the last, I'm sure Return won't disappoint. :)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:28 am »

Aye, and not only is the almost all the art great, but there's Vraaaaaaaaaska.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:38:05 am »

ADD ANOTHER JACE TO THE HEAP, BOYS!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:29:54 am »

Is it possible to have too many Jaces?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15:18 am »

I just built a creatureless deck. It's not exactly amazing, but if I can get past the first few turns, it goes well. If I can get Venser's Journal and Thought Reflection on the field at once, along with a decent mana supply, I turn into a basically unstoppable juggernaut, with obnoxious amounts of life, large options in countering opponents, and several cards that allow me to put my graveyard back into my library whenever I'm running low. I'm particularly fond of Archangel's Light, but that's just the most expensive. All expensive cards, I know, but I've got a bunch of cheaper "fiddle with attempts to kill you" cards to get me through the initial buildup. Killing the opponents usually happens through mill strategies, ideally using ones that also let me draw.

I think it only works in multiplayer, though; I usually last longer because nobody seems to consider me a threat till I have two or more of the more powerful cards I have down on the field, and I am able to do things like help out other players in order to give them an incentive to not kill me.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:29:39 am »

Shouldnt this be in other games?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25:44 am »

I just built a creatureless deck. It's not exactly amazing, but if I can get past the first few turns, it goes well. If I can get Venser's Journal and Thought Reflection on the field at once, along with a decent mana supply, I turn into a basically unstoppable juggernaut, with obnoxious amounts of life, large options in countering opponents, and several cards that allow me to put my graveyard back into my library whenever I'm running low. I'm particularly fond of Archangel's Light, but that's just the most expensive. All expensive cards, I know, but I've got a bunch of cheaper "fiddle with attempts to kill you" cards to get me through the initial buildup. Killing the opponents usually happens through mill strategies, ideally using ones that also let me draw.

I think it only works in multiplayer, though; I usually last longer because nobody seems to consider me a threat till I have two or more of the more powerful cards I have down on the field, and I am able to do things like help out other players in order to give them an incentive to not kill me.

Ah, ol' Archangel's Light. The jankest mythic in existence. Soon to have a rival in jankiness with The Pharaoh's Revelation in the coming block, but still.

I like your deck btw. I just hope a single Inkmoth Nexus doesn't ruin it's day.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »

Inkmoth Nexus: Best 1-drop Infect Creature.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »

I occasionally play a bit of Magic with a few friends of mine. We use Cockatrice to play, and since it means the matter of cost is null I nabbed a white deck from one of the international tournaments.

One of the methods of winning with the deck is to use Hero of Bladehold to basically overload my board with absurd numbers of 1/1 tokens that get +1/0 for every Hero of Bladehold attacking. Fun times.

I used a self-made B/G deck and one point and one of the fun things about it was the eight or so spell-counter instants I had. I once had three of them in my hand at once and I used them to basically nullify my friend's deck.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:27:51 pm by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:10:59 pm »

Energy Chamber + Prototype Portal + Orochi Hatchery + Paradox Haze = Billions of snake token creatures. If you can get it going right, you can more than double what you have each turn. Throw in Seshiro the Anointed (Other Snake creatures you control get +2/+2. Whenever a Snake you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.) for added hilarity.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 01:12:33 pm »

Ah, Magic. The amount of options you give is insane.

As an example, there is an OLD style of deck called the grindstone deck, which revolves around putting a players deck straight into the graveyard. Almost, geeze, 10 years ago, I made a deck with a similiar theme, that removed it from the game. Scalpalexis + Supreme Inquisitor + every wizard in existence. Nothing like selectively taking out the players best cards in their deck then stripping up to their entire deck off the top in one attack.

Energy Chamber + Prototype Portal + Orochi Hatchery + Paradox Haze = Billions of snake token creatures. If you can get it going right, you can more than double what you have each turn. Throw in Seshiro the Anointed (Other Snake creatures you control get +2/+2. Whenever a Snake you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.) for added hilarity.
Squirrel decks did it better.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »

Squirrel decks did it better.
Considering you can use two prototype portals to make as many prototype portals as you want, and then keep generating artifact lands to keep up with your mana costs, I somehow doubt this =P It's more vulnerable to destruction, but since you can boost your mana flow arbitrarily it can be absurdly fast and focused. Squirrels win on humour, though.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »

Anyone want to play using Cockatrice?

I'm in the process of refining my Standard deck, and I'm always up for playing eternal formats as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 01:47:18 pm »

Anyone want to play using Cockatrice?

I'm in the process of refining my Standard deck, and I'm always up for playing eternal formats as well.

You are a little too good for my level of playing ability :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8