Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 12452 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:57 am »

Yes, I'll probably stick in a few Syncopates, which I'll need to buy. My experience with the deck so far has been that leaving mana open isn't an issue - I've had an excess in every single game I've played with the deck. However, Syncopate counters more, and I can probably find a place for Urban Evolution to handle draw.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »

If you consistently have excess mana, find something to do with it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »

My friend told me about this game the other day. Teach me, o' masters. I have so much to learn.

Honestly before you even decide to pick this up I'd encourage you to make sure there is a community for this near you.

Nothing hurts more then buying something and finding out there is no one to play with.
Wasn't planning to buy it. I just wanted you guys to tell me more about it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 03:38:08 am »

So, Dragon's Maze prerelease is today. I've just gotten back from the midnight one here. After two rounds, I decided that since a payout was mathematically impossible unless people who'd won 2 games dropped, I'd benefit more from the extra sleep than the experience. That was incredibly depressing. Rakdos, got Boros as an ally, built a reasonably solid deck. Highlights include a Boros Reckoner, 2 Blood Scriveners, a Dreadbore, a Warleader's Helix, and a Boros Charm. First game, mulligan to 5 cards, then still only have 1 land for 5 turns. Second game, death by stupid mistake (I held a burn card too long, he couldn't have done anything about it anyway). Third game, get locked down and don't pull enough creatures to overwhelm it. Fourth game, removal on every creature not hit by One Thousand Lashes. Never actually drew the Reckoner, for whatever that's worth. Happy to have the cards, but the games were awful, save for the second which was actually a really close race once he started dropping blockers.

I already paid for two events, so I'm heading back later, but I'm bummed enough that I wouldn't bother if I hadn't already paid, even though I know that I've just played through a statistical aberration and the format is actually fine. Anyone have better experiences?

EDIT: Glad I went. Chose Gruul, got Izzet as an ally. Largely abandoned Gruul after finding that Slaughterhorn was the best green card I had. Won half my matches, and at least one game in every match I lost. I credit Niv-Mizzet for much of this, although Aetherling was also incredibly valuable. Some miscellaneous Azorius lockdown, and a couple monored Bloodrushers were good ways of rounding it out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:13:50 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]