Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Training Strength/agility/endurance/toughness  (Read 5606 times)

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training Strength/agility/endurance/toughness
« on: September 11, 2012, 03:35:21 am »

Hi,

has there been any science on these subjects concerning the speed of training by using different labors?
I noticed that training strength using mining takes a terrible amount of time to raise a little bit.
Can this be that that is linked to the hardness of the stone as well, and do other links of this type exist for agility and such?

TL;DR: fastest way to train attributes, taking in consideration harness of rock, type of wood, ...
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Training Strength/agility/endurance/toughness
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:36:29 am »

Strenght is easy, pumps.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

irontide

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking like an unconscious liaison in your moat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:08 am »

Danger rooms are the easiest and fastest way to train these quickly. They're so effective that most everybody considers them exploits.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:32:48 am »

Yes, but Training is so slow that it's almost necessary.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:55:44 am »

Danger rooms are the easiest and fastest way to train these quickly. They're so effective that most everybody considers them exploits.
Please elaborate.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:01:14 am »

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:11:23 am »

never used a danger room due too, indeed, the exploitness. What I'm looking for is a legit way to train. for example: bowyer increases agility >> sacrifice wood for crossbows full-time. you can just trade them anyway, so who cares except for elves, and who cares for them amirite?
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

irontide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:14 pm »

Please elaborate.
Dwarfs (and all other creatures) train certain skills when reacting to an attack, especially ones that train the stats mention in the OP. You can exploit this by constantly attacking them with frequent but basically harmless attacks in a controlled environment. You deliver those attacks by creating upright spikes loaded with training spears and some repeating trigger in a designated area.

Make a small room with a weapons rack, so you can designate it as a barracks, and a space for your squad to stand. 4x1 is sufficient for most people, 2x1 is the minimum, since dwarves will happily occupy the same square for training. I use 3x3 with a small alcove for the weapon rack as a bit of a handicap because I feel dirty having the dwarves crawl over each other while I mechanically poke them with sticks. Link the upright spikes to an external trigger, either a lever or some kind of repeater. Have the dwarfs train there while the trigger is active (easiest and fastest is to have the lever have a repeating 'pull lever' task, so idle dwarves will keep toggling it). Watch their skills sky-rocket, and the linked stats as well.

Even if you do it the way I do, which requires 90 training spears (a maximum of 10 spears per tile of upright spikes), this is a laughably cheap, quick and easy way to turn your dwarves into supermen. They'll still get slaughtered by nastier attackers (especially elite marksmen goblins) or megabeasts unless you equip them well. Just note that this room is certain death to pets and babies--a 'tightly closed' (not pet-accessible door) is a must, and I for one never recruit females into my military, not until they do something other with their babies than carry them around everywhere.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:47 pm »

never used a danger room due too, indeed, the exploitness. What I'm looking for is a legit way to train. for example: bowyer increases agility >> sacrifice wood for crossbows full-time. you can just trade them anyway, so who cares except for elves, and who cares for them amirite?
Other then pumps or military training there isn't much that works that well at training "stats".

Also for danger rooms you might consider nerfing them somewhat by automating them with a pressure plate in a high traffic zone. At it's fastest a pressure plate triggered danger room will run a little over twice as slow as a lever operated one, making them only slightly faster then normal training. Combine this with the fact that as your population increases the training slows down due to the pressure plate triggering less (spikes trigger on the "off" not the "on") and in a developed fort a pressure plate based danger room is actually slower then training normally.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

irontide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 09:09:52 pm »

Swimming pools could be good. According to the wiki, Swimming trains strength, agility and endurance (as well as willpower, very handy in a fight, and kinesthetic sense, also used in fighting).

The wiki page on stats is very informative: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strength

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 09:18:10 pm »

Yes, use swimming pools on useless migrants. Give them a month and they'll be great, strong swimmers or dead, so it's win-win!
Be sure to let them out after a while, or you only get the dying kind of win.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24:26 am »

Goblin arena!! or get a bunch of zombies in a pit for marksdwarfs and watch the traininh fly

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Also for danger rooms you might consider nerfing them somewhat by automating them with a pressure plate in a high traffic zone. At it's fastest a pressure plate triggered danger room will run a little over twice as slow as a lever operated one, making them only slightly faster then normal training. Combine this with the fact that as your population increases the training slows down due to the pressure plate triggering less (spikes trigger on the "off" not the "on") and in a developed fort a pressure plate based danger room is actually slower then training normally.

Wouldn't that depend greatly on where you put the pressure plate?  Anyway, if you want less than full-blown legendary uberdwarves coming out of your danger room, you could simply stop using it when they get to some reasonable level, like Proficient or Skilled, and let them continue training in the barracks.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:17 am »

fair enough.
I'll try a danger room. 1 single dwarf, 1 pressure plate, 1 decently crowded area(due to layout, my farms would be a nice place. Some study required)
OFF TO THE WIKI(never constructed traps, so yeah..)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:06:46 am »

make sure women dont carry kids unless you want dead  corpses same with pets animals but could help reduce cats
Pages: [1] 2