Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smooth vs. Rough stone  (Read 6475 times)

kierkkadon

• Bay Watcher
  • Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
    • View Profile
Smooth vs. Rough stone
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

Whenever I build a construction out of rubble lying around, it pretty understandably says "Rough <mineral> Wall." Is it possible to make constructions smooth?
Bergmann storniert Trinken: Unterbrochen durch Carp.
I'm pretty sure the Elves like it deep in the dark passage, if you get what I mean.
In Soviet Russia, microcline strikes you!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth vs. Rough stone
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:39:31 pm »

You can carve out a rough wall/room then smooth it, or, you can make rock blocks from boulders created by digging and build a smooth wall/room.  Unfortunately, you cannot smooth a rough constructed wall, though I really hope it is something that gets added because engravings can only be added to smoothed, not constructed, walls currently.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:11 am »

In the current version a piece of rubble will make one rough wall.  It is also heavy and slow to move.  A piece of rubble can also be made into four stone blocks at a Masons Workshop, and each one of them into a stone wall.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 04:39:35 am »

Personally I think it's the difference between
Spoiler: rough (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: smooth (click to show/hide)
And that's why you can smooth nor engrave it.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:52:35 am »

The odd part is, lots of cultures would fit rough stones together then smooth them to create the look of a solid piece of stone.  Its my understanding the ancient Greeks would even (lightly) carve assembly instructions into the peices that would get smoothed off after construction.

Also, a number of cultures would engrave stone block walls.

I'm sure the reason we can't do that in game has to do with how things are tracked, especially since a boulder makes four blocks now.  It would still be nice if block walls could be engraved, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:23:08 pm »

I'm sure the reason we can't do that in game has to do with how things are tracked, especially since a boulder makes four blocks now.  It would still be nice if block walls could be engraved, however.
Odd, since it's possible to engrave metal/wood/soap/stone/and so on/ walls with a bug. So the game can easily handle it, so it's most likely just something Toady wants to keep out of the game for mechanical purposes.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 05:37:06 pm »

Well, we used to not be able to carve fortifications into constructed walls.  Now we can.

So, I would not be surprised if we can eventually do engravings.  The sticky bit is probably keeping track of the (possible) destruction of masterwork engravings on constructed walls.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:06 pm »

Heck, deconstructing any engraved walls or floors.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »

I think engraved blocks would be the best thing since sliced roasted minced flour. Being able to not only decide which images go where, but also being able to effectively make quality rooms out of a uniform material would really improve a lot of forts' aesthetics. I'm guessing it's something Toady would want to add at some point, since this seems similar to the weird mining meta that occurred when drop rate was tied to skill. The current lack of alternatives to natural stone leads to some rather annoying situations with people OCDing out with where they mine.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:14 pm »

I think engraved blocks would be the best thing since sliced roasted minced flour. Being able to not only decide which images go where, but also being able to effectively make quality rooms out of a uniform material would really improve a lot of forts' aesthetics. I'm guessing it's something Toady would want to add at some point, since this seems similar to the weird mining meta that occurred when drop rate was tied to skill. The current lack of alternatives to natural stone leads to some rather annoying situations with people OCDing out with where they mine.

"Careful, careful, keep all the rooms nice neat marble. Nice and pretty and OHGODMICROCLINE!"
Fortress Abandoned
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

The current lack of alternatives to natural stone leads to some rather annoying situations with people OCDing out with where they mine.

"Careful, careful, keep all the rooms nice neat marble. Nice and pretty and OHGODMICROCLINE!"
Fortress Abandoned

In my current fort under a glacier, I have 9 z-levels of blank stone just above the first cavern. No gems, ores, or minerals. It's PERFECT.