Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elf/Human/Goblin Fortress  (Read 6517 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Elf/Human/Goblin Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:37:05 am »

Use the Search function, please.

I agree in theory, but I have had serious problems and issues with the search button myself, on many occasions, where it's just inaccurate.
Plus, the damn thing takes forever to work with. You have to wait anywhere between 5 seconds and 5 minutes between each search attempt.
Not to mention, sometimes it's just hard to figure out what to type in, when you're hunting for something, so it can be easy to miss things even when you have a lot of experience with the boards, particularly when you're hunting for an old post.

More than once, I've had trouble even finding my own posts, that I wrote myself, using Search, and ended up having to page through my profile, instead.

So yes it's the rules, and it's the right solution, but it's not really a great solution.

Aside from that, you could mod the Entity files to allow you to build an elf/human/goblin town.
While it would basically be the same version of the game you were already playing, you could still change the names, and add individual touches.

The game in it's current state allows for an enormous amount of modding flexibility, and there are plenty of mods out there that allow you to play "Whatever You Want It To Be Fortress".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:46:07 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

oooooon the subject of this, we would need to be able to make larger clothing for the humans that come to live w/ us.  gobbos and elves can wear the same clothing, though i assume elves may be a bit fussy about how it's made, and if it's all natural.  if i have elves, they'll work with animals, but i'm keeping them to a minimum.  i'll focus more on humans and goblins.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »

For those who have problems using the search button use google search, but add

: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0

To the end of your search. This personalizes it to the suggestion forum.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:54 pm »

oooooon the subject of this, we would need to be able to make larger clothing for the humans that come to live w/ us.  gobbos and elves can wear the same clothing, though i assume elves may be a bit fussy about how it's made, and if it's all natural.  if i have elves, they'll work with animals, but i'm keeping them to a minimum.  i'll focus more on humans and goblins.

Clothing is currently automatically made to the size of the creature that is the natural starter of that entity.

(This means, for example, that goblins in a human civ will automatically make all their clothing human-size, and then be unable to wear it.)

The thing is, you can make an elven fort, but then, you don't get any of the powers that elves are supposed to have. 

Basically, all you're doing is playing Dwarf Fortress with slightly different dwarves and maybe some of the workshops shut off.

Even if you mod workshops, it isn't necessarily too different from regular DF, since there are many things you can't yet do with modding, and so much of the game is hardcoded.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:12 am »

For those who have problems using the search button use google search, but add

: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0

To the end of your search. This personalizes it to the suggestion forum.

That's a great suggestion, thanks!

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:58 pm »

If you want what i think you want, you can just do it yourself for now.

I played human fortress in some old version, years ago.
All you need is a little raw modding.

Also minotaur adventurers are pretty fun too.
Don't know how 'evil' races plays in fort mode, i.e. who going to siege them (or not).

You need to recreate world after making different race playable.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

what I want is goblin adventures...

I had a goblin adventurer one gen a long time ago. I think it was also the only gen I had where goblins were at peace with everyone.

As for the other race fortress/towns, There's a quite a few mods that add those in and make them unique, despite the hard coding. It's just a matter of finding them in the modding forum.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »

why would you want to play humans or elves anyway?  goblins, i can understand, as that'd provide a challenge, but dwarves are alot of fun!  i would like a multicultural fort, which has been suggested. 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »

CaptainLambcake is right. Humans are dull.

You're all so god-damned DULL!

>:(
Pages: 1 [2]