Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diy:electronics  (Read 880 times)

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Diy:electronics
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »

Anyone have any schematics or instuctions for making your own electronics?

I'm looking for speaker amplifiers, but anything else would be fun.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Diy:electronics
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »

Anyone have any schematics or instuctions for making your own electronics?

I'm looking for speaker amplifiers, but anything else would be fun.
Everyone seems to swear by this book for analog circuits, but I've never read it.

There's also this site, which focuses on headphone amplifiers, and is a great start to working on smaller amplifiers. It walks you through the parts and building, starting off with the CMOY headphone amplifier. There's a lot of side stuff to read on the site that focuses on the more practical side of electronics vs lone analysis.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:40:46 pm »

Im going to try to build my own Tubescreamer soon if you know what is that, with more bass and asymmetrical clipping, based on TS-808. Schematics are all over the net.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:28:10 pm »

You would be looking for CMOY amps. These little buggers fit inside Altoids cans though the battery supply is something of a nuisance.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:31:41 am »

Cool, I'll look into buying that book if I get some money.

I was more refering to speaker amps for larger speakers (I have a twined set of 30w and 10w 8ohlm speakers I pulled out a projection tv, I currently have them rigged to a single headphone jack (which I'm going to eventually try to at least split it into 2 or 4 channel when I build my amp))but its my fault I wasnt clear about it.

I do have alot of electronic components because I take broken electronics apart as a hobby so I at least know I have the parts to make the amp, I just dont know what they are or how to put them together.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:42:18 am »

Just a heads up with the book - it's OLD.
A 3rd edition is supposed to be coming out at some time, but it's taking forever. Some basic analog circuit designs are largely unchanged though, so it should still be a good resource.

Another heads up with having electronic components laying around. Make sure to check that the parts are working and have the correct specifications (check your wattages, yo) for their purpose, for safety's sake. You should be able to make a working amplifier from scraps and stuff, but having it run constantly and consistently to your standards might not happen, depending on how strict the design specifications are.

I also want to recommend those sites I posted again, even though you're looking for amplifiers meant for driving speakers. The main thing with the site I posted is that because those headphone amplifiers are meant to be made of discrete components and still be portable, the schematics are much simpler compared to larger and more advanced amplifiers. It can help out a lot in understanding what each portion of the circuit does.

If you're more into the enjoyment of building and soldering the stuff together, there's a lot of amplifier schematics online that you could try making yourself. Just make sure it's safe to do so. I can't name any sites off the top of my head, but there's quite a few DIY amplifiers where the site gives you the schematics, the list of components that you need, and where you can buy it. You usually just buy the PCB from them, and everything else is left to you. It seems like it could be a lot of fun. Sorry I'm not much help there.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:33:47 am by Patchouli »